TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing Springs Progressive Rear Spring Direction?

AFdude10

So I installed the Ford Racing Springs for the GT500 today...install went smoothly...fairly easy. Did it with a buddy of mine who has A LOT of experience with BMWs...knowledgeable mechanic.

When installing the rear springs (progressive springs) we installed it with the "tighter" end down (less spring gap) and the side with more spring gap up. I I could have sworn the stock/item number on the springs read upright (we looked for that), so I didn't think anything of it. Also due to the fact that the less spring gap on the front was at the bottom as well.

My buddy called me tonight and mentioned he remembered whenever he worked with progressive springs the tighter less gap end usually is up...not down. Tried to find anything specific on the GT500 but I couldn't. I did find a 2011 Boss 302 thread that said the less gap side should be UP...not down (opposite of what we did).

Bottom line...I thought we installed it correctly, I could have sworn we installed the item number on the spring right side up, however a progressive spring for the year Boss 302 was the opposite. Can anyone confirm that we installed it the correct way?

Thanks

So I installed the Ford Racing Springs for the GT500 today...install went smoothly...fairly easy. Did it with a buddy of mine who has A LOT of experience with BMWs...knowledgeable mechanic.

When installing the rear springs (progressive springs) we installed it with the "tighter" end down (less spring gap) and the side with more spring gap up. I I could have sworn the stock/item number on the springs read upright (we looked for that), so I didn't think anything of it. Also due to the fact that the less spring gap on the front was at the bottom as well.

My buddy called me tonight and mentioned he remembered whenever he worked with progressive springs the tighter less gap end usually is up...not down. Tried to find anything specific on the GT500 but I couldn't. I did find a 2011 Boss 302 thread that said the less gap side should be UP...not down (opposite of what we did).

Bottom line...I thought we installed it correctly, I could have sworn we installed the item number on the spring right side up, however a progressive spring for the year Boss 302 was the opposite. Can anyone confirm that we installed it the correct way?

Thanks

I believe they are wrong but go on line & look up spring installation for 2011 Stang & it shows tighter spring coil goes to the top.

Does it really matter, and if so, why?...assuming they sit on their perches correctly.

The overall deflection of the springs will be the same no matter which way it is installed. I put Eibach springs on mine! And the directions said to install them so that the logo on the springs was rightside up, and I can't recall which way that placed the coils.

Z-man

Does it really matter, and if so, why?...assuming they sit on their perches correctly.

The overall deflection of the springs will be the same no matter which way it is installed. I put Eibach springs on mine! And the directions said to install them so that the logo on the springs was rightside up, and I can't recall which way that placed the coils.

Z-man

I agree with you. It shouldn't matter as long as it sits correctly. Both sides of the spring appear to be the same. Either way...to update everyone...

I called FRPP techline and they said the "tighter wound end" (smaller gap) should be UP against the frame of the car. So mine are upside down. I explained I could have sworn I installed it with the part number reading right side up...and he just replied that it doesn't matter if the writing is upside down...the smaller gap should go up. *shrugs* Kind of disappointed in Ford with this. The photos with the springs standing up show the rear springs with the smaller gap on the bottom ("upside down")...the item number on the spring is upside down...and there were no Ford instructions with the springs (not even a basic "this side up"). Guess you just need to know haha.

Got back into the shop tonight and reversed them. Took this photo of the "wrong" way to install the spring...but you can see why it was deceiving...you can see the item number on the spring right side up.

The ride feels the exact same...don't notice a difference. Maybe it doesn't make a difference...either way...wanted to get this out there in hopes it doesn't confuse any others.

Spring.jpg

AFdude10 thank you for posting the info about the springs, I'm sure others will find this very useful, as did I. Ford should address this issue so that there won't be any further confusion, because I'm in the market for new lowering springs. Anyway thanks again!

Mine have the tighter coils at the bottom and the car handles and rides great. I've seen them installed both ways.

Do you have the FRPP lowering springs? Yea I honestly didn't feel a difference now that I flipped them "right side up". Either way I just went with what the Ford Techline said.

I agree with you. It shouldn't matter as long as it sits correctly. Both sides of the spring appear to be the same. Either way...to update everyone...

I called FRPP techline and they said the "tighter wound end" (smaller gap) should be UP against the frame of the car. So mine are upside down. I explained I could have sworn I installed it with the part number reading right side up...and he just replied that it doesn't matter if the writing is upside down...the smaller gap should go up. *shrugs* Kind of disappointed in Ford with this. The photos with the springs standing up show the rear springs with the smaller gap on the bottom ("upside down")...the item number on the spring is upside down...and there were no Ford instructions with the springs (not even a basic "this side up"). Guess you just need to know haha.

Got back into the shop tonight and reversed them. Took this photo of the "wrong" way to install the spring...but you can see why it was deceiving...you can see the item number on the spring right side up.

The ride feels the exact same...don't notice a difference. Maybe it doesn't make a difference...either way...wanted to get this out there in hopes it doesn't confuse any others.

Spring.jpg

There has to be a reason why they are made that way with the tighter coils to the top. Maybe the wider gap that are on the bottom take up the weight of the car & the top portion helps to control the roll of the car. Not sure .

There has to be a reason why they are made that way with the tighter coils to the top. Maybe the wider gap that are on the bottom take up the weight of the car & the top portion helps to control the roll of the car. Not sure .

All I know is mine has the tight coils at the bottom and the car rides and corners amazing.

Archived