TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Commemorates 50Th Anniversary Of Iconic Big Block Cobra With Special Edition Roadster

CaitlinC

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

More Information: Scott Black | TPRM | (214) 520-3430 | sblack@tprm.com

SHELBY AMERICAN COMMEMORATES 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF ICONIC BIG BLOCK COBRA WITH SPECIAL EDITION ROADSTER

Legendary Shelby 427 Cobra Celebrated with Limited Run of Cars

LAS VEGAS – Dec. 30, 2014Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK) is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the big block Cobra by offering 50 limited edition versions of the iconic roadster. Each continuation Cobra will be painted Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White stripes, equipped with a premium black leather interior and other special touches. The 50th Anniversary 427 Shelby Cobra will debut at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Ariz., beginning January 12, 2015.

“The big block Shelby Cobra changed the way the world viewed American manufacturers when Carroll Shelby introduced it in January 1965,” said Joe Conway, Co-CEO of Carroll Shelby International and CEO of Shelby American. “While the small block cars were successful, the all new FE-powered Cobra took everything to the extreme. Far more powerful and sophisticated, the big block Cobra represented the bold American spirit. Shelby American’s goal was to create the world’s first hyper car and the Cobra lived up to its potential.”

Shelby American built the big block Cobras specifically to conquer all other sports cars, both American-made and European. With an all new coil spring independent suspension, larger passenger compartment, upgraded brakes, wider track, fatter tires and a big block Ford engine, the Cobra rocked the world. In its first year of production, the big block Cobra captured the SCCA’s coveted “A Production” championship. The Cobras also ran rampant in sanctioned drag racing series nationwide.

“The 427 Cobra is the purest expression of Carroll Shelby’s vision of a performance car,” said Akos J. Feher, Shelby American Vice President of Operations. “He believed in combining big horsepower with inspired engineering. The big block Cobra featured an all new coil over suspension that would allow the lightweight frame to handle a powerful American big block engine. The car just exudes masculinity. The Cobra’s ‘no holds barred’ attitude is still part of the DNA of every car we build today.”

The anniversary Shelby Cobras are component vehicles that can be finished by a customer or an authorized dealer. Each car is built to order and delivered as a rolling chassis, less drive train, with a 1965 MSO. The 427 Shelby Cobras retain everything from the authentic style suspension to the graceful body lines, but are upgraded to contemporary standards. Shelby American uses the same leather that one would find in high end cars, modern brake discs, a stronger frame and the bodies are available in either aluminum or fiberglass.

The 50th Anniversary Editions (serial numbers CSX4500 to CSX4599) have some unique differences. Special badges adorn the exterior and interior. Premium materials are used on the seats, carpets and dash. A 23 gallon racing style fuel tank, powder coated frame, racing brakes and custom gauges are standard. The paint/stripe schemes are unique and a special optional engine package is being developed by the Shelby Engine Company.

“Genuine Shelby Cobras are very rare and desirable,” said Gary Patterson, Shelby American Vice President of Strategic Sales and Media Relations. “We wanted to honor Cobra’s unique heritage, while incorporating a few upgrades that Carroll personally approved before his death in 2012. These 50 limited edition cars keep the flame sparked by the race-winning Cobras burning bright. There just isn’t anything like a real Shelby Cobra.”

The 50th Anniversary 427 Cobra will begin at $119,995 for a fiberglass or $179,995 for an aluminum bodied car, without drive train. Each will be documented in the ‘World Registry’ alongside the original 343 built by Shelby American in the 1960s. Cobras can be purchased through one of Shelby American’s dealers. Information about the cars can be found at http://www.shelbyamerican.com/50th427cobra.asp or by calling (702) 942-7325.

About Shelby American, Inc. and Carroll Shelby Licensing

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company builds authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles; it offers the Shelby GT, 1000, GT350, GT500 Super Snake and GTS post-title packages for the 2005-2014 Ford Mustang. Shelby American also builds the Shelby Raptor muscle truck and Shelby Focus ST hot hatch. For more information, visit www.shelbyamerican.com. Shelby American is a division of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI.PK). Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., also a wholly owned division, is the exclusive holder of Carroll Shelby's trademarks and vehicle design rights. It also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. Info at www.shelbylicencing.com

###

50th427Cobra-Guardsman.jpg

Seen above is our fiberglass prototype painted Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White stripes!

50th427Cobra-Polished.jpg

And above is our aluminum prototype which has been polished, with brushed stripes.

For more information on the 50th Anniversary 427 Shelby Cobra, check out our website here - http://www.shelbyamerican.com/50th427cobra.asp

And to see more photos, check out this photo album on our Facebook page - 50th Anniversary 427 Shelby Cobra

Wow, that sure looks sweet!

I don't like the polished aluminum. Don't like Kirkham's that way either. Cobras should be painted.

I don't like that either, but I know some who tell me if they are going to spend a gazillion $$ on an alloy body car, they want everyone to know it is…….. :)

This seems less special to me than the 50th FIA car. And it seems to have a higher premium.

+1, the 427 Cobras are the most replicated and cloned of all. So many replicas out there it is hard to differentiate one from another, not sure this will sell very well given the hefty price tag.

Just asking...........Why are these Cars NOT sold as a Turn Key from the start. I hate seeing these Cars with a 351W or 351C or a 429. IMHO, I believe that ALL CSX Cars should come with the same Engine & Trans set up that they were originally given at SAI in the Year that they are given on the Title. If they are Titled as a 1965 Cobra, the Engine that came in that Car in 1965, is what should be in that new 1965 Cobra.

+1, the 427 Cobras are the most replicated and cloned of all. So many replicas out there it is hard to differentiate one from another, not sure this will sell very well given the hefty price tag.

If you do it right, Aluminum Body, choose the right color Paint, right color Interior, right Wheels and MOST of all, choose the right Cast Iron 427 FE Big Block with the right Intake set up........in other words, build it just as if it really WAS 1965, you could have a VERY Rare Cobra that will only go up in Value. I just wish I was able to afford one.

Wow, that sure looks sweet!

I don't like the polished aluminum. Don't like Kirkham's that way either. Cobras should be painted.

I saw one at a Show that the Owner had the Body sanded to look like it was a Stainless Car (like the Delorian) and the Lemans Stripes were Polished. It was really cool looking. It is the only one I have seen done that way. I have seen them totally Polished and several Polished with sanded Lemans Stripes.

Just asking...........Why are these Cars NOT sold as a Turn Key from the start. I hate seeing these Cars with a 351W or 351C or a 429. IMHO, I believe that ALL CSX Cars should come with the same Engine & Trans set up that they were originally given at SAI in the Year that they are given on the Title. If they are Titled as a 1965 Cobra, the Engine that came in that Car in 1965, is what should be in that new 1965 Cobra.

Today's safety and emission requirements make that impossible. Not to mention the cost of testing and certifying (if they could be certified) such a limited production vehicle.

I do agree with you on engines.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived