TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires?

Bob Lasky

I have a 2014 Shelby gt 500 and would like to replace my stock tires. Any suggestions? I really just drive around town. The stock tires unless very hot out don't give much traction. Also thinking of buying new wheels also. But now really sure what to get and the size. I'm hearing they are putting 20 inch all around.

post-43360-0-09537300-1418819999_thumb.jpg

Bob,

I switched stock Goodyear's to Nitto 555 on the stock rims. Switched them out for Michelin Pilot SS on Vessels. For cruising around town, the Nitto tires were fine, but for highway/speed cruising, I rate the Pilot SS are the current best of the best out there.

Good luck with the tire search/swap.

Quinn

If you are driving your Shelby in a colder climate, the Michelin A/S 3's work really well, too. I switched out the Goodyear's for these.

Me too. Even in warm weather they are way better than the dangerous GY's. They do scream sometimes when spinning though. You do have to try to get them to spin,unlike the GY's.

I had Continental DW's on my 2011 GT-500 and presently have Michelin Pilot SS's on my 2014 GT-500. Both were in the stock sizes and loved them both. You can't go wrong with either and my Shelby's are daily drivers come rain or shine and even the occasional sub 40 degree temps.

I picked my 2014 up in January after a big snow storm had hit the East Coast. There was snow everywhere and I didn't think I was going to get out of the parking lot of the dealership because of the snow. Once I hit the main roads, they were cleared, it was okay as I took it easy for my 300 mile trip back home. The stock GY were only fun in the sense you could break them loose anytime you wanted with only a little more throttle even on warm dry roads. But they were so unpredictable they were gone within the first 1500 miles. The Michelin Pilot SS's feel so much safer and predictable even in the wet. Granted you can still "melt" the Michelin's, but it takes a more throttle now. (LOL)

DSCN5539 (3) (800x583).jpg

*Deleted double post :whistling:

Somehow I double posted so I might as well add another vote for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (LOL). ;)

Another thing I noticed in normal driving was the dry traction was so much better that I thought I had lost a hundred horsepower due to lack of wheel spin. Now it just grips and goes from a red-light instead of watching soccer mom's in vans and Prius' getting the jump on me due to wheel spin. :shift:

Well,I end buying rims Rucci 275-35-20 front & 305-30-21. I have couple of weeks before they are done. Now I have to find the tires for the rims. Michelin pilots SS are my final decision. Looks like I'll have to special order the tires. Hopefully they will be available.

Thank you for all your input on this subject

Hmm. I switched from GY F1 Supercars (came on my GTS from Shelby) to Michellin AS3s.

IMHO the F1s had much better grip in warm weather (>45F) but he AS3s are better on cold days with no significant loss of performance.

Everyone told me the Supersports and AS3 would be significantly better. Unfortunately I couldn't get supersports for my vehicle without dropping the clearance by 1/2 inch, which I didn't want to do, so I cannot comment on them.

However, the AS3s are okay, definitely better on cold days but I think my next tyre change I will switch back the the Goodyears.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here, the Pilot SS sizing for 18 in wheels sucks and if I were to go with the Pilot SS, it would lower me another 1/2in. That is a non starter for me. I am already as low as I can be. I can't go any lower.

The sizing for the rear on my Mustang is 285/40/18, Michelin only offers the SS in a 35.

Apparently there are 2 types of F1s, an all season radial and a summer one. They are different with regards to treadwear and rubber compound type.

I just put on a new set of summer type F1s with a tread wear of 220. I will probably get around 12K out of them. The price is right though, 600 for a set of 4.

I like mine, very little spinning except from a stop in 1st gear. I can spin easily off the line, but if I am already on the move at 30MPH or so, there is very little spin if the temperature is over 70 degrees. At 580HP at the rear wheel, I think the summer only F1s work really well.

That said, my Mustang is not a DD. My F1 summer type Goodyears are not suitable for such here in Colorado to DD in winter.

The best thing about my summer type F1s is the quick steering response.

If I did DD, then I would switch out my 18in rims for something else and do the Pilot SS.

I see there are two who decided against Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires because of sizing problems in 18-inch versions. Cited was "...it would lower me another 1/2in".

Is this by observation, measurement, or calculation?

The information I find shows the corresponding or appropriate sizes are a half-inch shorter in diameter. Does that half-inch take effect at the bottom of the tire's rolling radius?

Do we actually know what the rolling radius of a "stock" tire is?

I used this calculator here:

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

When I put in 285/40/18, it gives the diameter as 26.976 inches.

Then I changed it to put in 285/35/18 and it says the diameter is 25.85 Inches.

That is how I arrived at the 1/2 inch lowering thing.

I used this calculator when I decided to put in the Tremec Magnum XL.

I used the gear ratios for the MT82 and Tremec XL (2.97 1st gear type).

It led me to redoing the rear with 4:10s to get closer to the overall drive line ratios of the MT82 with a 3:73.

It shows the MPH/RPMs of each gear and they do match what my speedometer says, so I assume the calculator is accurate.

Frank S, should probably point out that neither lbj or myself had stock tires we had both been through the Shelby GTS wheel upgrade package which had altered the car from stock configuration. (already dropped the car)

I had help from members of this forum in calculating clearances and heights using the correct offsets etc.

Archived