TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Plast-Dip

Morgan19d

I've done a couple plasti-dip projects on my car. It's kind of fun to play with since you can peel it off if you don't like how it looks. I did the wheels, the the radiator cover to match the paint job and today did the tail lights to resemble the GT350 tails. Not sure if I'll keep the tail lights this way of not. What do ya'll think? Anyone else use plast-dip?

The dip sprays on like paint, either by can or gun. There are tons of colors and additives like pearls and all. I did a black base for the radiator cover which darkened the blue more than i wanted. I will redo it with a grey to see if I can get the blue even closer. Check out www.dipyourcar.com if your curious. They're pretty much the innovators for plasti-dip use on cars. Awesome YouTube videos from them too.

So you blacked out the back up lights?

Yes. believe it or not, the light still shines through just not very bright. Going to try it this way for a bit. If the shine through and light from brake lights aren't enough I'll trim out the backup light portions. The joy of this stuff is how you can work with it or just straight up peel it off.

I've been considering plasti-dipping my rims for a while, because the polished aluminum has become far less polished per se (and yes I could buy new rims but I have R16 and I have nice tires + snow tires).

The thing I love about plasti-dip: No adhesive promoting required, to an extent.

I love your radiator, absolutely awesome; the taillights are nice but the thing hurting you here is those nice 2013/14 styled LED's have a clear shadow plastic. Yours is blacked out entirely, but its totally fine it looks great.

When you say plasti-dip, is this the same product I have dipped my tool handles in? Pliers, and such?

Cuz if so, that product is "dull" rubbery looking..... I can't see how that would be attractive on a cars' finish or accessories? :shrug:

As a matter of fact, it is. They used to make dull coatings that were rubbery for grip purposes and minor corrosion protection. In recent years they have opened up a new area of formulation in coatings, so no its not the same dull rubber that you used on your tools, but it is a similar idea with the rubbery coatings.

As a matter of fact, it is. They used to make dull coatings that were rubbery for grip purposes and minor corrosion protection. In recent years they have opened up a new area of formulation in coatings, so no its not the same dull rubber that you used on your tools, but it is a similar idea with the rubbery coatings.

Correct. It is not as thick because it comes out of a Spray Can or a Paint Gun. Since it does peel off, a lot of people use it on the front of their Vehicles when they Race or Travel. A Friend does a Cross Country Event similar to the HR Power Tour and gets Sponsors. He will Spray Clear where he puts their Vinyl Decals so it is easier to remove the Decals when the Event is over.

Here is an example. The "paint" is actually dip. Depending on how you want it, it can be matte, satin or gloss. Right now you can't achieve a factory gloss with just dip, but they're getting closer all the time.

image.jpg

Yeah you can do pretty much any color with it. You can get a kit with sprayer and all for a few hundred bucks. If you do it yourself you can have an incredible look for that. It's a forgiving product to work with too.

I peeled my wheels. Came off with no issues. Going to re-do them now that I have more experience. As long as you several good coats the dip stays together solidly and will peel right off. If you have too thin a coating it doesn't peel off well. However if that happens you can add some coats or just spray some wd40 and wipe it off lol

I would put like 4 good coats on the front end for that. That way you have s good coating for protection and it would be easy to peel off afterwards. You could do the matte clear for that, or any color for that matter.

Should hold up great. I did my wife's Explorer grill black and it holds great. Bugs and all just wash right off. Since it's a rubber coating it won't chip and if it happens to tear ( which I haven't seen) you could go through the trouble of correcting it, or just peel the grill and re spray it. Basic colors only run about $6 a can.

Archived