TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pretty Much Decided On The Final Mod...

cormy

As many of you know I was searching for the next performance mod for the 08. I have installed the usual tune, intake, pulley and have added a KR suspension.

I think gearing is the final frontier, specifically 3.73 rear gears.

However...one big draw back that I would need to correct is the lack of hook up with the rear wheels. I have driven the car on a limited basis since adding the above mods and 1st gear is just about unusable, at least now with the road temps in the 20's-30's. Shifting into 2nd and accelerating will usually put me sideways..

I plan on replacing the original Goodyears on the rear with Nitto NT's and installing stiffer lower control arms.

Hopefully this will calm it down a bit.I really don't feel like reconstructing the rear suspension to accommodate additional modifications.

Just reluctant to install the gears and have a uncontrollable vehicle...sort of defeats the purpose. :shrug:

Thoughts ??

personally, if i could do it again with the mods i have now, i'd put in 3.55 diff gears.

you should upgrade the tires, regardless. i think the nittos are pretty damn good for the money and they come in the correct size for the GT500 along with matching drag slicks if you don't want to run street tires all the way around.

i'm not sure why there is a need for lower control arms. i have the usual suspension upgrades -- eibach shocks, springs, sway bars, panhard bar and OEM upper/lower control arms (but with lower control arm relocation brackets) -- and there's no axle hop or erratic behavior that i can tell.

you're not done yet...there's always something else. a one-piece drive-shaft is a worthwhile upgrade. it's pricey, but it makes a noticeable difference.

you're not done yet...there's always something else. a one-piece drive-shaft is a worthwhile upgrade. it's pricey, but it makes a noticeable difference.

OMG!!!! Don't tell him that.... a driveshaft can be installed by almost anyone.... gears are a different story. If he gets ahold of a one-piece driveshaft... I can hear it now ...... Hey Doug whatcha doing this weekend wanna stop over and help me put a driveshaft in? It shouldn't take long, then we can go for a beer or two...... :hysterical:

The truth is I'd be there in a heartbeat to help out a friend...... specially when there's beer involved!!! :party:

I've been debating the 3.73's but I've got great traction in 2nd gear now with the Nitto NT555's and as my daily it wouldn't really help my mileage any. It's also about the only part of the car I'm not really comfortable working on myself as I've never changed out rear gears before and don't have the tools to measure backlash etc..

I wouldn't change your gear ratio. To your point, you can't get the car to hook up now and that is just going to exasperate the problem. Continue down the path of suspension mods to get that car to launch properly.... and a new set of Michelin's wouldn't hurt. Then brakes and cooling.... just remind yourself, "it's just money". :spend:

As many of you know I was searching for the next performance mod for the 08. I have installed the usual tune, intake, pulley and have added a KR suspension.

I think gearing is the final frontier, specifically 3.73 rear gears.

However...one big draw back that I would need to correct is the lack of hook up with the rear wheels. I have driven the car on a limited basis since adding the above mods and 1st gear is just about unusable, at least now with the road temps in the 20's-30's. Shifting into 2nd and accelerating will usually put me sideways..

I plan on replacing the original Goodyears on the rear with Nitto NT's and installing stiffer lower control arms.

Hopefully this will calm it down a bit.I really don't feel like reconstructing the rear suspension to accommodate additional modifications.

Just reluctant to install the gears and have a uncontrollable vehicle...sort of defeats the purpose. :shrug:

Thoughts ??

I plan on doing 3:73. It will help save your clutch. There are tires out there that will hook. It may not be the best thing for a daily driver.

Not a daily driver and I usually don't take it out after the first snow fall due to roads treated with cinders and to a lesser extent salt. Forgot to mention the McLeod clutch install as well.

I really think the road temp had a lot to do with it. It was cold. Between the blown clutch and shoulder surgery I wasn't able to drive it much at all after installing the mods. So I think I need to become re - acquainted with the car and the handling aspects with the increased HP.

Tires > Lower Control Arms > Driving style > ?

? = sandbags in the trunk :lol:

I have 3:73 and glad I did it. I run Continental DW Extreme's and they hook up great. The 3:73 make the car more manageable on takeoff. Plus it's a blast to get on the freeway. My personal best is 120 before i get on the freeway. Lots of giggles and smiles.

See OP for second gear.

Why would 3:73 gears make the car more manageable on take off?? Doesn't seem to follow logic.

I saw the original post of yours, I was asking Torch Red Texan about his 3.73's as I have perfect traction in the dry in 2nd unlike your car. Ditch those Goodyears for the Nitto's that my car has (not even the drag radials) and you'll see a lot better traction.

I have 3:73s in my '08 and it was one of the best mods. 6th gear is more useable, easier on the clutch taking off and the traction in lower gears is not really any worse than with the 3:31s. I don't think you will have any regrets.

You know Ford put 3:73 gears in the KRs, must of been a reason.

I have 3:73s in my '08 and it was one of the best mods. 6th gear is more useable, easier on the clutch taking off and the traction in lower gears is not really any worse than with the 3:31s. I don't think you will have any regrets.

You know Ford put 3:73 gears in the KRs, must of been a reason.

+1. The Super Snakes also have 3:73s. Ditch the badyears. By raising the gear ratio you do not have to use as much throttle to get off the line. Mine is a DD. I can take off in 2nd if needed. On a good cool day I may spin just a little in second when floored. Over all the 3:73s make the car more managable accelerating from a stop. I still get over 20 mpg on road trips. Except when I'm having too much fun. I run 2000 rpm's at 70 mph. You will shift sooner but the rpm's stay in a little higher for acceleration. Plus in a parking lot or stop & go traffic you do not have to work the clutch so much. Changing the gears was one of the best mods for my ride.

3.73s were maybe the best thing I did to my car. It really makes it a whole different animal, MUCH more fun to drive. However, make absolutely sure you find somebody that knows what they are doing to do the work.

+1 on finding someone that knows what they are doing. I took mine to Towneast Ford. They have one mechanic that installs all the gears for anything. I talked to him before the install. He has been doing it for 20 years. No noise what so ever. Get them put on and you will never look back. Just wonder why you did not do it sooner.

Yeah defiantly take it back to the dealer on this.

Wondering if the other common mods I installed were necessary when I could have replaced the gears and be done with it, since my main goal is increased acceleration.

They may be complicating the issue with the increased traction issues :peelout:Guess I could take them off....

Yeah defiantly take it back to the dealer on this.

Wondering if the other common mods I installed were necessary when I could have replaced the gears and be done with it, since my main goal is increased acceleration.

They may be complicating the issue with the increased traction issues :peelout:Guess I could take them off....

Leave em on. Try it with the new gears but get good tires. You will like what you have. Go out and enjoy her.

Archived