TEAM SHELBY FORUM

One Owner 1966 Shelby Gt350 For Sale

Wish I had the money. Needs a bit of work though.

One%20Owner%201966%20Shelby%20GT350%20Fo

from the article:

This 1966 Shelby GT350 is a claimed authentic car on sale by its original owner. Though sold without an original motor the car does run a correct solid lifter 289, the seller adding that legitimacy can be verified with included purchase documents as well as all original Shelby components barring the engine. Used minimally since the early 90’s, current running order isn’t mentioned but the car does seem to be a nice driver as presented. Find it on eBay in West Farmington, Ohio with reserve not met at $61k at the time of writing.

Lots of unanswered questions about this car. If the seller is the original owner then why is it being represented as a "claimed authentic" car? Says you can inspect the car but wont give you either the Ford or Shelby VIN number. Speaking of VIN numbers, take a look at the Shelby VIN plate photo and tell me that doesn't raise big questions right there.

Proceed with caution.

Steve

Lots of unanswered questions about this car. If the seller is the original owner then why is it being represented as a "claimed authentic" car? Says you can inspect the car but wont give you either the Ford or Shelby VIN number. Speaking of VIN numbers, take a look at the Shelby VIN plate photo and tell me that doesn't raise big questions right there.

Proceed with caution.

Steve

yep, they shoulda used stainless screws........... :hide:

I saw that car too on ebay when it was first listed and was concerned about the Shelby VIN tag being removed and re-installed incorrectly too. a few years ago I went and looked at a 68 KR Vert where the owner TIG welded the tag to the fender apron!! It is amazing what some people do....

Alex

I saw that car too on ebay when it was first listed and was concerned about the Shelby VIN tag being removed and re-installed incorrectly too. a few years ago I went and looked at a 68 KR Vert where the owner TIG welded the tag to the fender apron!! It is amazing what some people do....

Alex

no Alex, it's amazing how stupid people can be!

Even if the car is legit why butcher it. These people should know that who ever is going to look at these cars know what their looking at. A few extra cents for rivets rather than what you can find in an old baby food jar makes much more sense to me.

The sellers flippant attitude to legitimate questions make me now say stay clear on this one. Seller is obviously not being upfront on the cars real condition/history. The seller also mentions that he has a "delete" key well he's obviously clueless that bidders have something called a back button.

Also someone on the SAAC board says its car #2052

Steve

If it is 2052 it was originally shipped to Ohio, but sold to a man (David E.) from NY. Autolite carb was original to this car and it was raced '71 - '73 AHRA. I would be suspicious - needs to show fender numbers and more proof.

The good news is that some of this cars previous damage is now documented, the bad news is that I suspect there is more damage that the seller wasn't being upfront about.

In my opinion the car is overpriced at $100k considering the amount of additional money needed to restore the car. Then you have a non-numbers matching car that will be worth less than you have into it. Of course that could change in another 10-20 years.

If it was a 1965 model, things would be different.

Steve

The good news is that some of this cars previous damage is now documented, the bad news is that I suspect there is more damage that the seller wasn't being upfront about.

In my opinion the car is overpriced at $100k considering the amount of additional money needed to restore the car. Then you have a non-numbers matching car that will be worth less than you have into it. Of course that could change in another 10-20 years.

If it was a 1965 model, things would be different.

Steve

I agree , what I saw in the pictures It isn`t a 100K car , think the seller should have grabbed the offer. .

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I don't know anything about this car. But I do know a lot about original owners of old Shelby's, I personally talked to a guy few months back that had a carry over 66. The honestly did not know anything about the FORD VIN# on the car under the Shelby tag, nor did he know about the SFM # on the passenger side. He was very hard to deal with, but keep in mind, if you bought one of these new, and 48 Years later people where questioning you about weather it is real or not, they may take offense to the questions.

So I treaded lightly on this carry over car, we worked through it, and I was able to get him the information he needed to verify his car and weather it was real or not. Turns out he had no Idea it was a carry over car, SO in the end it worked out for both of us. I did not buy the car. But I was able to help him with his sale.

This guy may be the same way, had a lot of questions that he took offense to, keep in mind a lot of these guys are in there late 60's and 70's. and are not real computer savey.

Suggest if you guys find one, keep the thought it is real, until you can find out if it is or not.

• 1 month later...

Original VIN ID plates for 65 and 66 Shelby's are attached by pop rivits on the left front inner fender. I know this because I own SFM6S1176 and SFM5R094, both VIN plates are attached by pop rivits. If the inner fender is original the FORD VIN number will be under the Shelby VIN number tag. Also all VIN numbers for 66 Shelby's can be confirmed by "Shelby American Automobile Club" (SAAC) and sholud be verified before any purchase.

Fred Hilbert

Archived