TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust For 2009 Gt 500

siscokid09

My mechanic and I installed the KR mufflers on my 2008 GT500 yesterday. First...do shop around online. Prices vary considerably. Second...we had a hell uv a time figuring out how to mount the new KR mufflers using the original hardware. We all but gave up until we discovered that the mounting brackets had to be reversed. That's right. Flip them. End result is a terrific sound. I wish I hadn't waited this long to make the change.

Don't forget that part about having 1, or 2, extra joints in your arm being VERY helpful. :) Was pretty-quick for me with the Stang backed up on ramps, except I don't have those 1-2 extra joints in my arm... :yahoo:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I find it kinda funny that some folks go out and buy a gt500 and they do the typical bolt-ons to add more performance and then when it comes to the exhaust they complain because it sounds to loud or to racy...now I understand about exhaust drone and we all know thats annoying but come on...I was on a different forum the other night and these guys were saying that they were bigtime enthusiast but they could'nt stand the raspy growl of the mustang with aftermarket exhaust....LOL Thats exactly what makes me smile when I'm doing some spirited driving, listening to that tuned exhaust note with the windows down.....stainless works off road X pipe running thru borla S type axle backs....don't get much better!!!! 2008 gt500 GO SMILE!

My mechanic and I installed the KR mufflers on my 2008 GT500 yesterday. First...do shop around online. Prices vary considerably. Second...we had a hell uv a time figuring out how to mount the new KR mufflers using the original hardware. We all but gave up until we discovered that the mounting brackets had to be reversed. That's right. Flip them. End result is a terrific sound. I wish I hadn't waited this long to make the change.

Installation of KR mufflers should be fairly straight forward; I don't recall having to reverse any mounting brackets.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?567552-How-I-Installed-the-KR-Mufflers

• 3 weeks later...

So the FR500 mufflers is the same thing as the KR mufflers? I have the FR500s with Kooks LT headers and a catted 3" H pipe,best combo,no drone,quiet when cruising,LOUD when you want it to be! I am a fan of the Corsas too,I was considering selling/trading for the Corsa mufflers!

• 2 months later...

I find it kinda funny that some folks go out and buy a gt500 and they do the typical bolt-ons to add more performance and then when it comes to the exhaust they complain because it sounds to loud or to racy...now I understand about exhaust drone and we all know thats annoying but come on...I was on a different forum the other night and these guys were saying that they were bigtime enthusiast but they could'nt stand the raspy growl of the mustang with aftermarket exhaust....LOL Thats exactly what makes me smile when I'm doing some spirited driving, listening to that tuned exhaust note with the windows down.....stainless works off road X pipe running thru borla S type axle backs....don't get much better!!!! 2008 gt500 GO SMILE!

You and me both!!! I love the rasp. Sounds mean and more exotic IMHO. I'm running the same SW offroad-X with the SW straight through (S-turbo) mufflers. Our cars probably sound very similar. Post a clip if you get a chance! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another big vote for KR, and I agree with the poster who mentioned how much better they sound on a GT500 as opposed to a 4.6. I had them on my Shelby GT and they sounded great, but they're a whole new ballgame on the GT500. I love the burble and pops when you downshift - something they didn't do at all on the SGT.

• 4 weeks later...

Roush Extreme catback, sound great. Would be wayyy too loud with LTs though.

Im going to be running 1-7/8's ARH and a Catless or High-flo H setup with my Roush Extreme. Gonna be hearing me from a few states away. But at least its a good loud and not a disgusting loud.

I have the kooks LT's on and with the KR mufflers it was really loud. I went with FR SVT-1's to tone the sound down. Didn't want to attract too much attention.

Archived