TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why No Supercharger Whine/wistle On My Gt 500

Those blown hot rods have a Gilmer drive belt. They have ribs that run across the belt instead of along the belt, and of course, pulleys to match. You'rehearing belt whine, not blower whine. If they're running gear cam drives instead of chain or belt, they whine also.

Steve

Edited by 54First

You guys have obviously never heard a blown hot rod. They whine at idle, and loud. It's all in the blower drive. No GT500 whine is ever going to equal that. My '08 whines quite nicely, but it doesn't come close to the sound the OP wants.

Steve

Yes I have heard many blown Hot Rods in my years , I don`t think he was hoping to get that sound as he mentions about SVT doing something to the newer Shelbys . I believe the newer ones are quite a bit quieter.

You'll only get the whine on these cars when on the throttle. You'll never get the whine at idle because the helical gears are designed to be quiet. A 34 coupe with a BDS 8-71 with a cog drive at your local hot rod show will whine like crazy at idle due to it's straight cut gears.

I would like my 2014 stock GT 500 to sound like some of the blown hot rods. What did SVT do to it to eliminate this sound?

They added a resonator to the intake of the SC to help bring down the noise.

When I ran the last Mojave Mile event I had a Go Pro mounted dead center of my upper grille. When I replayed it, ALL I can hear is blower whine.

My neighbors son-in-law asked me if it was supercharged because he could hear the whine as I went by their house.

Inside the car you're hearing the exhaust and most of the engine noise is canceled out with insulation.

So the blower whine is there, you're just not hearing it from inside the car.

Phill

They added a resonator to the intake of the SC to help bring down the noise.

When I ran the last Mojave Mile event I had a Go Pro mounted dead center of my upper grille. When I replayed it, ALL I can hear is blower whine.

My neighbors son-in-law asked me if it was supercharged because he could hear the whine as I went by their house.

Inside the car you're hearing the exhaust and most of the engine noise is canceled out with insulation.

So the blower whine is there, you're just not hearing it from inside the car.

Phill

This actually sounds like a great solution. I miss hearing the exhaust when driving my car.

• 2 weeks later...