TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 SuperSnake Official Pricing

It's the tremendious cost associated with the tooling of the hoods that makes them so expensive. SAI cannot lower the indivdual price of the hoods because of the limited number that is going to be produced, and as anyone knows, the more you manufacture any one item, the cheaper it's production costs become. For that reason, I believe that the cost of the CF hoods are close to $8,000.00 a pop. I heard a specific price yesterday, but I was too focused on the overall price of the package and can't exactly remember what the specific cost of the hoods are right now.

That is totally outrageous!!! $8K for a HOOD?? For crying out loud just get one from Cervini's, they already have a KR hood made up for only $559!!

https://www.cervinis.com/search.aspx?year=2...body=GT%20Coupe

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been my thought all along. There's no reason that hood should cost so much. I will say though, that I don't think we have a cheaper alternative yet. The link you provided to cervini's appears to be for a Mustang. Though I agree, the hood looks like the KR's hood, I don't think this would work on a Shelby. Maybe they'll make one soon that will.

I really wouldn't worry about the Super Snake package being "unlimited". Say there are 17,000 GT500 produced between 2007 and 2008. Do you think more than 6% (roughly 1,000) owners will fork over $30K to get the Super Snake package? Remember there are also 1,000 GT500KR's to be snapped up. I highly doubt any GT500KR owners will touch their cars...let alone send it to Shelby for additional work. I think the pricing has naturally limited the number packages. There are a ton of owners out there that do not frequent online websites and do not get caught up in the mod' madness. Even among the most zealous of GT500 enthusiasts, this package is priced at point to make you think long and hard about the cost/benefit. I really think that there will be less than 1,000 Super Snakes when all is said and done.

Tom

I really wouldn't worry about the Super Snake package being "unlimited". Say there are 17,000 GT500 produced between 2007 and 2008. Do you think more than 6% (roughly 1,000) owners will fork over $30K to get the Super Snake package? Remember there are also 1,000 GT500KR's to be snapped up. I highly doubt any GT500KR owners will touch their cars...let alone send it to Shelby for additional work. I think the pricing has naturally limited the number packages. There are a ton of owners out there that do not frequent online websites and do not get caught up in the mod' madness. Even among the most zealous of GT500 enthusiasts, this package is priced at point to make you think long and hard about the cost/benefit. I really think that there will be less than 1,000 Super Snakes when all is said and done.

Tom

I agree. And about the hood- My point is why can Cervini make up a hood for $559 but Shelby's hood is $8K? Granted Shelby's hood may be of higher quality but to be that much more is ridiculous.

Amy,

As the $27,995 price of the complete Super Snake package puts it out of reach of many folks (me included) I have a few questions about the inidiviual components (such as the hood):

1) when will the pricing for the individual components of the Super Snake package will be announced?

2) where we will be able to get them at?? SAI in Vegas or will the regional installers sell the individual pieces?

As I now understand it from the earlier announcements, all of the Super Snake components will be available seperately, but your GT500 will not be registered/considered a true Super Snake unless the entire package is purchased.

Don't get me wrong, I am not upset about the price of the package, it is a great package for an awesome car. Amy said it would be expensive and many of us got overly hopefull after the figure that came out in the M/T article. Personally, I can't wait to see one at a show or a get together in the future. It just sucks that my income won't allow me to put that much money into my GT500 in one shot.

Hi Amy

i would like to ask you because in this post you did write that the SS package will be limited.But I also did read one posted yesterday from you that it will be unlimeted and anyone can buy it who is willing to pay for it.

Thank you very much for your answer

Dodo

Guys,

I appreciate all the comments, so let me set somethings straight.

The price is 27,995. I had said a while ago that this would be expensive, because of all the parts and because of all the tooling.This is a reference for high end 4.6 550 hp car. I agree this is an expensive package, but we did what we could do, without hurting the integrity of a limited package. and its a 5.4 with over 700HP.

If you look at the sum of everything in the kit, it is certainly more then the top of the line packages being offered for the 4.6 mustang not Shelby's

examples: SALEEN S281 EXTREME COUPE BASE PRICE:$ 70,391

SALEEN S281 EXTREME CONVERTIBLE BASE PRICE: $75,600

Roush stage 3 Blackjack edition 430 hp CORE COMPONENTS - $28,782 + S&H above the car price

Rouch stage 3 Mustang with 425 Hp CORE COMPONENTS - $21,000 + S&H above the car price

GT500 Super Snake package components

Exterior

Shelby Super Snake Hood

Carbon fiber front fascia splitter

Carbon fiber mirror covers

Carbon fiber rocker panels

SHELBY deck lid letter kit

Super Snake badging- front grille and front fenders

Sequential tail lights

Super Snake striping

Front brake duct kit

Rear brake duct kit

Interior

CSM consecutively numbered dash plaque

CSM consecutively numbered plaque in engine compartment

Super Snake door sill plates with CSM number

Light bar with solenoid activated brake light (convertible)

Shelby floor mats,

Aesthetic engine kit with billet fluid caps and dip stick handle

Center gauge cluster with Autometer Carroll Shelby Signature Carbon Fiber faced gauges

(boost,fuel pressure,oil pressure)

Aluminum Shelby map light accent

Satin door lock knobs

Performance

Shelby Supercharger Upgrade 600- 725+

Cold Air intake

Shelby/Baer 6 piston caliper bake system

Shelby short throw shifter

Shelby/Eibach coil over suspension

Shelby/Eibach sway bars

Borla cat-back exhaust system

Tires and Wheels

20" Shelby Alcoa wheels (bright silver finish 20X9 front 20X10 rear)

Pirelli P-Zero Nero 255/35ZR20 front 275/35ZR20 rear

I think theres more, I will double check the list. We know this is expensive, we know it will be limited, we put together the best package we could for the top of the line Shelby Gt500.

Amy

Hi Amy

i would like to ask you because in this post you did write that the SS package will be limited.But I also did read one posted yesterday from you that it will be unlimeted and anyone can buy it who is willing to pay for it.

Dodo

I agree. And about the hood- My point is why can Cervini make up a hood for $559 but Shelby's hood is $8K? Granted Shelby's hood may be of higher quality but to be that much more is ridiculous.

Cervini's hood is :

1. Fiberglass, not carbon fiber

2. Is ugly :happy feet:

Hi Amy

Dodo

This is from post #121 above:

stop, right now we have 10 on the list. and I dont think it will hit more then 300 for 07. It's open, but I really don't think it will matter

Amy

It's nice that costs were kept down to $28,000 + tax. :hysterical2::censored:! You could buy a nice Mustang GT with a California Package for that couldn't you?

SAI & Ford needs to shop that hood price around to some other manufacturers that can make it if that $8,000/hood price tag is correct? Whatever happened to that cheap prison labor Shelby used to have? Anyway some people here are indicating the hood might now be fiberglass, which should solve that extreme cost?

Someone indicated Shelby will now have a different Super Snake hood design? It was described to possibly be similar to the original 2007 GT500 show car hood maybe??

It will be very interesting to see the Super Snake show car. They should be building one now before they start building orders?

:bag: It would be nice to have an official press release from Shelby Autos describing the changes to the Super Snake Package and cost breakdowns including labor. Also would be nice to know how delivery/pick-up will work. :sos:

post-6152-1181085595_thumb.jpg

post-6152-1181085595_thumb.jpg

stop, right now we have 10 on the list. and I dont think it will hit more then 300 for 07. It's open, but I really don't think it will matter

Amy

Amy,

I meant no dig by my post. Some seem to think that the SS package will be limited to a number of units like 500 or some other number, and we all know that it is not. It is available to anyone that has a GT500 and wants to pay for it...so it is "unlimited" in that regard.

If 300 want it...then 300 will get it.

If 1248 want it...then 1248 will get it.

It is not limited to a set amount of units.

I hope that many people can afford it and get it. It is going to be a very nice package. I am looking forward to seeing some of our members get the package.

Way to kiss butt Grabber! It is pricey so right around +/-300 could be it?

QUOTE(Son of GT @ Jun 3 2007, 10:55 AM)

It's the tremendious cost associated with the tooling of the hoods that makes them so expensive. SAI cannot lower the indivdual price of the hoods because of the limited number that is going to be produced, and as anyone knows, the more you manufacture any one item, the cheaper it's production costs become. For that reason, I believe that the cost of the CF hoods are close to $8,000.00 a pop. I heard a specific price yesterday, but I was too focused on the overall price of the package and can't exactly remember what the specific cost of the hoods are right now.

AHH......ya know there are probably people in the aerospace industry on this forum, who know quite a lot about CF, and have experience in significantly more complex shapes much larger than the proposed hood, oh yeah, and with significantly tighter step and gap tolerances that automotive could ever wish for.

Was the proposed CF hood prepreg? wet layup? vaccum bagged? heat blanket? autoclave? ambient? Twill? Chop?, ETC??? Some people still think CF means super expensive, which can be very true when you are dealling with aerospace certified CF with paperwork transmitting loads that would blow your mind, but certainly not for a automotoive hood that will see mimimal aero loading.

I believe John is working thru the list now. It takes time as John has to explain, do you want the 40th? Do you want the SS? do you want the 40th with some of the SS parts....

Amy

amy i need to know a few things i have an order waiting to be placed but need to know a few things.

need to know if the ss package can done on verts and what color striping can be done. i should be on the list

my name is jeff krusell and email is jkru911@aol.com. have left a few messages but no phone calls. just would like to find out these couple of things so i can have the dealer place the order

thank you very much

jeff

QUOTE(Son of GT @ Jun 3 2007, 10:55 AM)

AHH......ya know there are probably people in the aerospace industry on this forum, who know quite a lot about CF, and have experience in significantly more complex shapes much larger than the proposed hood, oh yeah, and with significantly tighter step and gap tolerances that automotive could ever wish for.

Was the proposed CF hood prepreg? wet layup? vaccum bagged? heat blanket? autoclave? ambient? Twill? Chop?, ETC??? Some people still think CF means super expensive, which can be very true when you are dealling with aerospace certified CF with paperwork transmitting loads that would blow your mind, but certainly not for a automotoive hood that will see mimimal aero loading.

8K for a CF hood might be realistic. Who else is selling CF hoods to compare with?

It's nice that costs were kept down to $28,000 + tax. :hysterical2::censored:! You could buy a nice Mustang GT with a California Package for that couldn't you?

SAI & Ford needs to shop that hood price around to some other manufacturers that can make it if that $8,000/hood price tag is correct? Whatever happened to that cheap prison labor Shelby used to have? Anyway some people here are indicating the hood might now be fiberglass, which should solve that extreme cost?

Someone indicated Shelby will now have a different Super Snake hood design? It was described to possibly be similar to the original 2007 GT500 show car hood maybe??

It will be very interesting to see the Super Snake show car. They should be building one now before they start building orders?

:bag: It would be nice to have an official press release from Shelby Autos describing the changes to the Super Snake Package and cost breakdowns including labor. Also would be nice to know how delivery/pick-up will work. :sos:

Don't get me wrong, but after a lot of thought, this post put it in perspective for me. $28,000 will get you a "COMPLETE CAR", a Mustang GT with California Special. For the same $28,000, we get about 1/20th of a car if we take the SS package. I think we have a lot of manufacturer's who are taking advantage of Shelby enthusiasts. If you look at all the profits being made on this, and don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of a market driven economy, everyone has to eat and pay bills, the true costs of all these parts is probably less than than half the $28,000.

It would be nice if SAI would look at some hood options. $8,000?!?! Lets get real. If they sold 1000 SS packages, that would mean $8.000,000 in revenue alone for hoods. I guarantee for a lot less money, plenty of manufacturer's would tool up, make dies, do testing, etc to produce nice, high quality hoods. Have to wonder if this whole pricing approach is no doubt part of the plan to make it so exclusive. Not many average Joe's (or moderately well-off Joe's for that fact) can afford this option, along with the price of the car. May be time to sit this one out. Not sure I can stand be taken advantage of to this extent.

I know, I know. I will probably get a rashing of s--t for this, but, I had to throw my thoughts out there. Don't beat up on me too bad. All the power to those who can afford to do this. The choice is yours. Just disappointing all this hype and anticipation only to be slammed with a $28,000 price tag, plus tax, plus shipping!!!

Has anyone heard from anyone at SAI that the hood actually costs $8K? As far as I can tell the origin of that figure comes from what most people THOUGHT the Super Snake package would cost compared to the announced cost and ASSUMED the increase was due solely on the cost of the hood.

Amy said the overall package cost high was due to tooling. This could come from many different Super Snake parts, not just the hood. The hood was originally announced to be carbon fiber, but according to Amy's post it is now fiberglass.

Let's forget about the price of the hood for a while and focus on the merits of the SuperSnake package in general.

The fundamental questions are:

• Does the SS package merit the $28,000 price tag when compared with other options?

• If we add parts from makers other than Shelby, will they add or detract from the value of your Shelby in the long term (years from now).

I think if you can swing it (financially), GT500 SuperSnakes will be THE bomb years down the road. To some people, the GT500 is the ultimate modern muscle car, to others, it's that plus a sound and solid investment for the future.

Those who choose to do the SuperSnake package will immediately be contributing to an important part of the future history of our automobile era. How fortunate and lucky it would be to be one of them. :shift:

Don't get me wrong, but after a lot of thought, this post put it in perspective for me. $28,000 will get you a "COMPLETE CAR", a Mustang GT with California Special. For the same $28,000, we get about 1/20th of a car if we take the SS package. I think we have a lot of manufacturer's who are taking advantage of Shelby enthusiasts. If you look at all the profits being made on this, and don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of a market driven economy, everyone has to eat and pay bills, the true costs of all these parts is probably less than than half the $28,000.

It would be nice if SAI would look at some hood options. $8,000?!?! Lets get real. If they sold 1000 SS packages, that would mean $8.000,000 in revenue alone for hoods. I guarantee for a lot less money, plenty of manufacturer's would tool up, make dies, do testing, etc to produce nice, high quality hoods. Have to wonder if this whole pricing approach is no doubt part of the plan to make it so exclusive. Not many average Joe's (or moderately well-off Joe's for that fact) can afford this option, along with the price of the car. May be time to sit this one out. Not sure I can stand be taken advantage of to this extent.

I know, I know. I will probably get a rashing of s--t for this, but, I had to throw my thoughts out there. Don't beat up on me too bad. All the power to those who can afford to do this. The choice is yours. Just disappointing all this hype and anticipation only to be slammed with a $28,000 price tag, plus tax, plus shipping!!!

Couple of things:

New S/C $6k

Forged Wheels & Tires $6-$8k (MY estimate)

Guage Pod $1k

Total of just these componants: $13-$15k

This excludes:

Suspension

Exhaust

Tune & CAI

Custom Hood

CF chin spoiler

Whole new rear end

6-Piston Brakes in front

Special badging

Shifter & Interior bits

Sequential blinkers

Any Labor

Sooooo, what do you (and others unhappy with the pricing) want?

Upgrades in the $20s for $10k???? :hysterical2:

You want a Pantera for the price of a Pinto.

Who in their right mind would offer such a thing????? Certainly not me. I would be in business to continue to stay in business...Make a reasonable profit on the work that I did.

You make it sound like SAI is reaming the customer.

How is that??? By offering a totally reworked GT500 for a little over what the parts cost?

You could always buy the Steeda package for $14,000 and get a CAI, Tune, exhaust and suspension. No new S/C. No new Rear, or 6 piston brakes (very important to me with this kind of HP), or badging, or hood, etc, etc, etc,

etc.

Or you could order a 40th package for ~$12k. $2,000 less than Steeda's. Better package with more attention to detail. For less.

So, I would recommend that you evaluate what you are actually saying before you say it. It doesn't make a great deal of sense--from a mathematical standpoint or a business standpoint.

If it's too pricey for you, well okay. But do not judge this package before you at least whip out the calculator and see exactly what the expenses are if you bought them yourself. My .02

Has anyone heard from anyone at SAI that the hood actually costs $8K? As far as I can tell the origin of that figure comes from what most people THOUGHT the Super Snake package would cost compared to the announced cost and ASSUMED the increase was due solely on the cost of the hood.

Amy said the overall package cost high was due to tooling. This could come from many different Super Snake parts, not just the hood. The hood was originally announced to be carbon fiber, but according to Amy's post it is now fiberglass.

$8k was a member's estimation and nothing more. Many took the number and ran with it. If you look at the math (above), you would see that it is most likely incorrect. Maybe it was his estimated cost for all custom tooling...

Some folks thought that the Motortrend article which stated $10k was accurate. It was not. Honestly, after seeing the list of upgrades & custom parts, how on Earth could it be??? Besides, who in their right minds ever believes Motortrend??? :hysterical:

Hope this clarifies a few things. ;)

Maybe we need a thread just for the hood? Here is what I think about the "HOOD":

The CARBON FIBER hood is probably what they are referring to as having a cost of $8,000? I believe many have said SAI switched to a FIBERGLASS hood on the Super Snake Package to keep the hood cost under $1,000? Please correct me if I am wrong. This is just a guess based on the posts.

If the Super Snake Package has a fiber glass hood now there should be a cost adjustment by SAI. That would be the right thing to do. It would be interesting to find out what kind of mark-up SAI thinks it needs to get on this package.

Last month I estimated the cost without mark-up for this package at $19,300 including a $2,000 cost for the hood. If it is an additional $6,000 for a carbon fiber hood then my estimate would be $25,300 and with only a 10.7% markup to get to $28,000. I would say my cost estimate without mark-up was too high. I do not believe SAI is gouging anyone if there is a carbon fiber hood included. If they have switched to a $600 fiberglass hood then I believe there is room for them to drop their price. These performance parts prices are expensive.

I need a beer... :waiting:

May 2, 2007 POST:

GT500 Super Snake package best guess estimated costs:

$6,800 • Ford Racing Supercharger upgrade kit (SuperPack 600) producing over 600 horsepower and 590 ft.-lbs. of torque

$1,200 • 6-speed manual transmission with 3.73:1 rear axle ratio

$1,100 • Ford Racing performance exhaust system

$1,800 • Ford Racing Handling Pack offering unique performance suspension tuning including Dynamic adjustable dampers, lowering springs, tuned stabilizer bars, and front strut tower brace

$1,600 • Shelby-designed Alcoa 20-inch wheels

$400 • Ford Racing short-throw shifter

$2,500 • Baer 6 piston brakes with Shelby cast calipers and larger rotors

$500• Front brake cooling ducts

$2,000 • Unique carbon composite hood featuring classic Shelby design

$200 • ‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid

$400 • 'Super Snake' vehicle badging

$500 • Carroll Shelby signature embroidered headrests and floor mats, and other Shelby designed components

$300 • Official Shelby CSM dash plate

TOTAL = $19,300 (5-2-07 guess. Parts & Labor only. No mark-up or sales tax)

Luckyguy,

The price has been set by the president of SAI. It is a done deal. She announced it. It was not a mistake. Some can and will get it. Some wont.

No need to yell about the hood. Big large blue letters is yelling.

Luckyguy,

The price has been set by the president of SAI. It is a done deal. She announced it. It was not a mistake. Some can and will get it. Some wont.

I only saw an announcement in this thread. I never implied there were mistakes. But since I have seen no press release of the final equipment included and everyone keeps going back and forth on the cost of carbon fiber vs. fiberglass hoods it has got confusing. If you have the info on an official release of information and where to find it that might clear things up. There is obviously a lot of confusion about the hood cost and what type of hood is included now.

:baby: I am sorry the blue letters offended you Grabber. Please forgive me. Trying to stop the hood debate and get the real information.

Mucho Gracias Amigo

Luckyguy,

Did they say you get back all the original parts they take off or do they keep them??? I mean you could sell the parts yourself and get some of the 28K back. I am not going to say the package isn't worth the money but it looks like to me they looked at how much roush and saleen charge and just put a price out there close to theirs to justify the 28K You get a little more of a body kit on either a roush and saleen along with new seats and redone leather in the back. Ok I'll put on my flame suit now and get back to work.

Did they say you get back all the original parts they take off or do they keep them??? I mean you could sell the parts yourself and get some of the 28K back. I am not going to say the package isn't worth the money but it looks like to me they looked at how much roush and saleen charge and just put a price out there close to theirs to justify the 28K You get a little more of a body kit on either a roush and saleen along with new seats and redone leather in the back. Ok I'll put on my flame suit now and get back to work.

That is true. You get your parts back. I am not sure how much you could make off of them? I think the idea is to keep the parts to be able to return the car to stock for collectors?

I only saw an announcement in this thread. I never implied there were mistakes. But since I have seen no press release of the final equipment included and everyone keeps going back and forth on the cost of carbon fiber vs. fiberglass hoods it has got confusing. If you have the info on an official release of information and where to find it that might clear things up. There is obviously a lot of confusion about the hood cost and what type of hood is included now.

:baby: I am sorry the blue letters offended you Grabber. Please forgive me. Trying to stop the hood debate and get the real information.

Mucho Gracias Amigo

Amy made the announcement on this thread as to the cost and all the options and clairified the hood and rear end. It is all here in this thread and some others. I suggest you click on her name and then click on her posts so you can find all of her posts easly and quickly. That way you can read everything she has said about the package and then be fully informed. Thank you for reducing the very large blue font to a smaller size. It was just screaming at us, and we don't need that.

:) Rob

Archived