TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just Pulled The Trigger On The Kr Interior Upgrade From Sai.

Alcan KobRa

I just ordered my interior upgrade to include the seats, dash pod gauges, console cover and shifter ball.

The upgrade is done by a new company so it looks nothing like the pics SAI has posted. I believe it looks better.

AK.

Are you also upgrading your 2007-2010 rear seat backs to the 2011-2014? Now would be the time if you want matching front and rear headrest embroidering, they are a direct bolt-in from what I have been told. I am doing this upgrade right now.............

0172_zps336331ca.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M

Dada: While I agree with you that KR's should be kept stock for collectability your comments were a little "gruff".

Alcan Kobra should enjoy his KR as he sees fit. It's his car. We each choose to enjoy our cars as we see fit and have that right.

Also, if our kids won't care about these cars then than what's the point of worrying about collectability?

Also, some cars (few admittedly) are not affected by some modification as to value or future value. The Ford GT is a perfect example. Modded or not the FGT is in great demand and will be in future. As long as you have your stock parts and mods are just bolt on it makes no difference as to value or desireabilty. In fact modded FGTs bring more depending on the mods.

Edited by REAL ONE

Thanks Real One.

"The value of your cars is not what they will sell for in 40 years. The value of your cars is the memories you make driving them today".

Carroll Shelby said that on November 1, 2007.

I think the same applies to how we choose to change or modify our cars. How we chose to enjoy them. I've seen a lot of Silver KRs for sale recently and I know a few people that have them. I believe it will be nice to have an exclusive car that is even more exclusive than the others like it. Moreover, this is a bona-fied, in the registry, professionally installed Shelby America Inc upgrade so how can that be wrong?

Stock is great, but when there are 753 (minus the totaled) other KRs identical to mine, a little deviation is good.

If loving that is wrong, I don't want to be right. :)

AK.

Edited by Alcan KobRa

Are you also upgrading your 2007-2010 rear seat backs to the 2011-2014? Now would be the time if you want matching front and rear headrest embroidering, they are a direct bolt-in from what I have been told. I am doing this upgrade right now.............

Hey Robert,

No, no rear seat upgrade. Your's will look great with that addition.

T.

0172_zps336331ca.jpg

R

Edited by Alcan KobRa

Thanks Real One.

"The value of your cars is not what they will sell for in 40 years. The value of your cars is the memories you make driving them today".

Carroll Shelby said that on November 1, 2007.

I think the same applies to how we choose to change or modify our cars. How we chose to enjoy them. I've seen a lot of Silver KRs for sale recently and I know a few people that have them. I believe it will be nice to have an exclusive car that is even more exclusive than the others like it. Moreover, this is a bona-fied, in the registry, professionally installed Shelby America Inc upgrade so how can that be wrong?

Stock is great, but when there are 753 (minus the totaled) other KRs identical to mine, a little deviation is good.

If loving that is wrong, I don't want to be right. :)

AK.

Very well said!!!

I can't wait to see the seats, I have been debating doing this upgrade for years. In the past some came out great, others had a lot of wrinkles, I was afraid of getting the wrinkled look, that would drive me nuts.

Good luck!!!

Dada,

Your opinion is appreciated, as are all. But giving us your opinion and insulting people are two different things all together, but I don't think that registers with you. So in the spirit of the holidays I'm just going to accept your mental disability for what it is and no longer take offense to you rants and personal attacks.

I truely believe life has a way of turning some people into rude and unhappy individuals who enjoy making those around them as unhappy as they are. Then again, some of you were just born that way.

Damn the torpedos and Happy Thanksgiving.

AK.

Edited by Alcan KobRa

Who is Dada?

Mod KR = wrecked KR?

Comments on mods and at same time not concerned about future collectability?

I'm confused.

Enjoy your car today. However that results. Put it in a shrine with candles and incense. Or take it to Europe and drive the heck out of it next summer as some have done.

A stock KR is pretty. Has some nice features (hood). But stock hardly worth the legend King of the Road. Some well chosen bolt on mods make it formidable in the here and now.

Looking forward to interior pics. Glad SAI has chosen a new vendor. Good luck with the mod!

Dada: I have a book I would recommend to you. It's by this guy Dale Carnegie "How to win friends and influence people". Just say'n.

Look... Alcan has the right to enjoy his KR as he sees fit. I'm sure you agree. There is no sense in saying things in a way that makes a fellow KR enthusiast feel bad about what he is doing to his KR. I'm sure you temporarily lost sight of this notion. Also, I'd be willing to bet he is smart enough to have thought of the Keeping it "stock" or whether to "modify" calculus for himself and he made a decision that is right for him.

As for your kids, you know them I don't. I do know that if my dad had real submarine I'd want it passed down to me!!!! How cool is that!!!! In fact, as a WWII buff and buff of the Kriegsmarine and U Boat service I would personally love a genuine Type VII. In fact have a 5ft scale model of one (9th U Boat flotilla) hanging over my head in my home office right now.

As for your insight on "kids". Sorry, I disagree with you. IMHO kids tend to have an interest in what parents direct them too. For my kids its cars. They are huge car buffs (all three) and know more than most adults about cars and Shelby. My son in fact is an instructor with HOD and routinely tracks his heavily modded SGT (I think Albino's SGT are the only SGTs that are more modded for the track) at tracks all over the east coast and as of October ran under a 2:15 at Watkins Glenn on street tires (Bridgestone RE11'S). He routinely passes me in my Boss 302. Just to prove its the driver he'll take the Boss and pass me while I'm driving his SGT. So yeah, your kids are in large part what you make them as a parent. Even my daughter who has a Camaro SS (I tried but couldn't sell a Mustang to her) now also wants to track her car.

Maybe your kids don't give a "F" about cars and don't know if Alcan's does (or if he even has kids) but I can tell you this my kids love each one of my cars and not just for the cars themselves and their history and Shelby provenance but the fact that they are dad's and know how much they mean to me.

Terumi71: Lets agree to disagree on your assessment that "stock KR is hardly worth the legend King of the Road". You are incorrect on a number of levels. Just because you like to slap a TVS on your KR doesn't make it superior to a stock KRs except in power. If that were the calculus I could slap a bigger KB blower on mine and viola! mine is now superior to yours! I could argue the stock KR is superior for a reason thats important to me and many others and you can argue your point as to what's important to you. Many don't need or want the extra power. I don't. 540hp (the "advertised" rating as we know they routinely dynoed at around 580hp) on stock KR is plenty enough for me. Car breaks loose in 2nd gear with ease. Damn things breaks loose in driveway sometimes just pulling in the garage.

You have to put things in context. At the time the KR was launched it was the most powerful mustang made. It put out over 40 hp more than the standard car and with handling and suspension that far outclassed the standard GT500 and with gorgeous looks and exclusive and expensive KR bits. It was a true Shelby. Also there was no way Ford was ever going to put the TVS on the KR (a pre-title Shelby sold off their showrooms) so it would put out 650hp which would eclipse the GT500 for 5 more years that they produced it. Kinda would play havoc with their marketing progression of GT500. Lets be real here. Those are the facts as confirmed in my discussions with the "in" persons at SAI at that time. At the time it was the "King of the Road" as far as pre-title GT500's were concerned unless you opted to do a post title modded Supersnake but the KR build quality was superior and more exclusive for a number of reasons.

Every production and performance car can be improved with some aftermarket mods and tweeks. Name one that couldn't.

Today, with most cars putting out 500hp to 600hp and up the old 2008/9 KR is clearly a car of yesterday (maybe even "yester-year" soon too) and eclipsed performance wise even as of 2011 by the standard GT500. But that's how things go. But that's OK..."old school" is cool in my book. Heck, if straight ahead "go" was the only measure of being the "King" then the play would be to have traded a '68 KR for a 5.0 Fox body.

Edited by REAL ONE

• 3 months later...

NEWS FLASH!

I ended up with the Gary Disney interior upgrade kit. Katzkin had an issue with the center console; they wouldn't do it. I got a great deal on the package and it's currently being installed.

Pic will go up when it's done.

AK.

Edited by AlaskanKR

Can't wait to see it!!!

I went back and forth with Gary, but I still haven't pulled the trigger.

I was thinking of going with the Ford Racing embroidery instead of Shelby.

I can tell you this for one thing, Gary is GREAT to work with and he will do anything and everything to make sure you get what you want. We encountered a few problems along the way (not of his doing) but we worked them out. His communication is outstanding.

AK.