TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Quick Hesitation At Wot

AFdude10

Hello all...new member here.

Picked up a 12 GT500 about two months ago. After being out of the states for a year and a half and driving a shitty Kia Jeep...I'm happy to be back and in a sporty car.

I started noticing this a little over a month ago...and it is becoming more pronounced now that the temps are dropping.

I've noticed this in both 2nd and 3rd gear (haven't tried it in 4th) if I aggressively go WOT the car will start to pull for a split second, hesitate, then pull hard again. I don't think it has anything to do with a specific RPM...as I've done this anywhere from 3000-4500 RPM. At first I thought it was the traction control (it felt like it was kicking in), however it will do this with traction control off as well.

If I roll WOT smoothly I do NOT get any hesitation and it pulls smoothly.

I also don't notice any hesitation even when shifting hard between gears when doing a WOT pull....it is only when I am getting ready to do a pull...am holding a steady speed, then aggressive go WOT.

Anyone have any experience with this? The car is completely bone stock.

Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I'll try to watch the tach and see if the RPM jumps up then catches grip.

I've had the tires break loose multiple times but if I kept the throttle burried the RPM would just keep climbing to red line. I wouldn't think they would be able to hook up after they were already starting to spin and building more momentum.

And after the hesitation the tires hook up and it pulls with full grip. It just doesn't seem like the tires are breaking loose during the hesitation. Never noticed an RPM increase visually or by sound. It really feels like I mashed the throttle, instantly let off to half throttle then back to full throttle. This whole hesitation happens in easily less than a second...It's very quick. It feels more like a fuel cut or the throttle closing for a half second. Wish I had a way to log the throttle position and injectors.

Hello all...new member here.

Picked up a 12 GT500 about two months ago. After being out of the states for a year and a half and driving a shitty Kia Jeep...I'm happy to be back and in a sporty car.

I started noticing this a little over a month ago...and it is becoming more pronounced now that the temps are dropping.

I've noticed this in both 2nd and 3rd gear (haven't tried it in 4th) if I aggressively go WOT the car will start to pull for a split second, hesitate, then pull hard again. I don't think it has anything to do with a specific RPM...as I've done this anywhere from 3000-4500 RPM. At first I thought it was the traction control (it felt like it was kicking in), however it will do this with traction control off as well.

If I roll WOT smoothly I do NOT get any hesitation and it pulls smoothly.

I also don't notice any hesitation even when shifting hard between gears when doing a WOT pull....it is only when I am getting ready to do a pull...am holding a steady speed, then aggressive go WOT.

Anyone have any experience with this? The car is completely bone stock.

This really sounds like it's your traction control system is kicking in. The TC uses the 'fly by wire' system to close your throttle blades down when it senses rear wheel speeds are faster than front wheel speeds, taking throttle away from the problem (plus rear brakes to keep both rear wheels at the same speed).

Mine does what you describe every time I nail it with the TC on (Full ON or Sport Mode) and more so after installing the bigger Super Charger.

BTW, there are *FOUR* modes for your TC. Are you sure you truly turned it OFF?

Mode 1 TC "ON" (default)

Mode 2: TC OFF/Stability Control "ON" (Single click the TC button) (still using rear brake to keep it straight)

Mode 3: Sport Mode (double click the TC button) allows 'on the edge' of spinning Control

Mode 4: TC/SC "OFF" (Hold TC button down for 7-10 seconds);

To get to Mode 4, you have to hold the button down 7-10 seconds, until the dash indicator tells you it's OFF

Be careful, the car likes to get sideways in Mode 4.

Phill

This really sounds like it's your traction control system is kicking in. The TC uses the 'fly by wire' system to close your throttle blades down when it senses rear wheel speeds are faster than front wheel speeds, taking throttle away from the problem (plus rear brakes to keep both rear wheels at the same speed).

Mine does what you describe every time I nail it with the TC on (Full ON or Sport Mode) and more so after installing the bigger Super Charger.

BTW, there are *FOUR* modes for your TC. Are you sure you truly turned it OFF?

Mode 1 TC "ON" (default)

Mode 2: TC OFF/Stability Control "ON" (Single click the TC button) (still using rear brake to keep it straight)

Mode 3: Sport Mode (double click the TC button) allows 'on the edge' of spinning Control

Mode 4: TC/SC "OFF" (Hold TC button down for 7-10 seconds);

To get to Mode 4, you have to hold the button down 7-10 seconds, until the dash indicator tells you it's OFF

Be careful, the car likes to get sideways in Mode 4.

Phill

So true. It took me awhile to learn the Traction Control button usage. Doesn't you foot have to be on the brake to go into Mode 4?

Mike

So true. It took me awhile to learn the Traction Control button usage. Doesn't you foot have to be on the brake to go into Mode 4?

Mike

Hmm. Now that you mention it, I think your foot has to be on the brake to go into any of the modes (except maybe default?).

I change mine on the fly by hitting the brake pedal just enough to make the brake lights come on and then click or double click the TC button.

Phill

I'll try completely turning off TC and try it... I appreciate the replies.

I was playing around with it yesterday and narrowed it down more...it seems to happen mostly 3k-4k RPM. And it will still do it if I aggressively go HALF throttle as well. Like I originally said...if I smoothly roll into the throttle it will not do it...and it will not hesitate if I do a WOT pull and hard shifting. It seems to be caused by an aggressive throttle movement around 3k-4k RPM.

I'll put it at 3500 RPM in 2nd...from a cruising throttle position I'll go aggressively to half throttle and you'll feel an initial pull then a half second hesitation then pull again at half throttle.

Its not the tires breaking lose.

I'm about to take it by the dealership the first day I get free and have a tech ride with me and show them...see what they say.

*EDIT*

Just did a test drive...had the TC and SC off (Yes you have to have the brake pedal depressed) and it was still doing it. Only happens around 2500-4000 RPM. And once again...it would do it even when holding down to half throttle. And now it will do it every now and then even when rolling into the throttle. Feels almost more like a stumble rather then a hesitation.

Archived