TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Suspension Choices 2009 Gt500

takoarm

Looking for some testimonials. Want to set the car up for longevity and handling. Car should max out in the 600-650 range horsepower wise. Also plan on doing the Wilwood Big Brake conversion in the front and 4 pistons in the rear.

These are the ones I am looking at:

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/35101.713.htm

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/Z15-M-FR3-MSVTA.htm

I have mixed and matched suspension parts with stock (yes stock) dampers and created a which car rides on rails for 90% street use with spirited driving and 10% track without losing too much comfort. Yes, I will eventually change the dampers and probably go with coil overs, but probably going to wait until the original dampers are worn out. The car hooks up off the line, does not kick out when/if the rear tires break loose, and my g meter is showing 1.02 g on a skid pad. Not sure how accurate that is, but I know it feels like it! The Wilwoods are a huge improvement as well.

Edited by ViperNC

If you don't want to spend a lot of $ but want better dampers (shocks/struts), slightly stiffer spring rates along with a lowered ride height... Check out the KR suspension bits. I think they're about the best deal out there. Add a poly-end panhard and I think you'd be quite pleased. You can spend lots more, but the KR parts do work very well (much better dampers). Pretty much the most "sporty" ride and handling of the factory '07-'09 GT500 suspensions, but not harsh. A little research may convince you. :)

The ideal suspension for the 500 or the kr are the KW V3's with a good set up of LCA's and a d/a UCA. To kick it up without breaking the bank is a T2R and a Watts Link. You can sometimes come across a Whiteline for $800 new. The KW's run ~$2400. I had this minus the diff and watts on my former 500 and it handled real nice at crazy speeds.