TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spark Plugs

Lynno

I have the original two piece plugs installed by factory in my 2007 and now I want to change them. I have 13,000 on my Shelby GT now. I have read about the trouble with these plugs and want to get them out before they break apart when removed. What is the best one piece replacement plug to install NGK, Champion?

I just did my plugs last night since I installed the KB this past weekend, my car has 47,000 and some change on the odom. I had ZERO issues removing the plugs, and let me tell you of the whole entire supercharger install this to me was the scariest part, because of the horror stories that I've read about from others that have broken them.

I did what others have posted, cracked them all about 1/4 - 1/2 turn and then sprayed some PB into each plug. After letting it sit for about an hour I then proceeded to remove them all. Most came out very easy, all but one as a matter of fact, almost could remove them without the ratchet by hand, I had one that presented a little resistance but I went slow and back and forth a few turns and it came right out. Ther was very little carbon build up on that one so it wasn't in jeopordy of breaking in the head, it was just a little tighter.

For you guys with the very low miles on your car there will be almost NO carbon build up from use, and thats what locks the tips into the head and causes them to break.

I had to use a lower heat range plug for the SC, so I'm unable to give any insight for the best replacement, but I wanted to post to let you all know it's not going to be as bad as you think or have heard with your low mile cars.

Hope this eases the anxiety a little.

Jeff

Edited by MyBlueHeaven

I changed mine with the one piece Champion 7989. They cost a crap load more but I am not worried about the breakage issue. I also used anti-seize in the "neck" that extends down into the head. Keep any anti-seize off the electrode. Just smear it lightly on the extension.

Good luck and take your time!

I changed mine with the one piece Champion 7989. They cost a crap load more but I am not worried about the breakage issue. I also used anti-seize in the "neck" that extends down into the head. Keep any anti-seize off the electrode. Just smear it lightly on the extension.

Good luck and take your time!

I did the same thing when I installed the new ones. Anti-seize on the threads and all the way down the neck, stopped short of the tip and strap area like you mentioned. The FRPP plugs I used have the strap like the orignals.

I changed my plugs on my 07 at 32 thousand miles with no problem using the process mentioned above. I went back with the same plug. My son tried to change his on his 05 Ford truck at 110 thousand and broke every one. A tow and 550 dollars at Ford fixed that one. I also purchased my self a plug removal kit for about $50,00, and hope I never have to use it Don"t be afraid if low miles and just do it. Harley

I did the job today and the plugs were not bad. I did go with the described info of how to remove from Ford. The plugs came right out. At this time I cleaned all plugs and added the anti-seize to the ground electrode cover and threads. I reinstalled all plugs. Soon I will replace with one piece. My suggestion to all is get the job done a soon as you can. It's all about keeping these cars running at peek power.

I did the job today and the plugs were not bad. I did go with the described info of how to remove from Ford. The plugs came right out. At this time I cleaned all plugs and added the anti-seize to the ground electrode cover and threads. I reinstalled all plugs. Soon I will replace with one piece. My suggestion to all is get the job done a soon as you can. It's all about keeping these cars running at peek power.

Glad to hear that you got it done without issue.

Jeff