TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Airbag Recall Notice

19again

I just got my third notice. This will be # 2 replacement in less than a year

You sure it just not a reminder?

I got two within a week of mine getting installed, and those notices said "parts are in now"

Clearly, those, based on timeline were already in the mail, as mine was getting done

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to dealer today to check on my third recall notice. This third notice is the permanent repair. The previous repair was an interim repair to the driver side only. The permanant fix now includes both the driver side (recall 15s21) and passenger side (recall 16s26) inflator. They assured me no issues with the passenger side airbag cover. Parts will take about 3 weeks to come in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting copies of the letters maybe to help clear up any confusion.....

In my case, parts have been order (2-3 weeks out) for drivers side.

Original July 2015
Recall%20July%202015_zpsc3itwo0o.jpg

Second Letter July 2016

Recall%20July%202016%20Page%201_zpssxbxr

Recall%20July%202016%20Page%202_zpspnn5d

Third Letter July 2016

Recall%20July%202016%202%20Page%201_zpsr

Recall%20July%202016%202%20Page%203_zpst

• 8 months later...

Well guys I'm on my second recall letter maybe even three telling me the parts are coming in on this quarter what a bunch of Bull S... I'm so tired of getting these letters for a potential hazard that could kill me or you. Now I know I heard the potential risk is higher in some states due too extreme heat and/or humidity that may cause airbag inflator housing to deploy and abnormally rupture in the event of a crash with metal fragments killing or causing malice to another Shelby owner.

I believe the high risk factor due too extreme heat and humidity could CAUSE PREMATURE AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT (WITHOUT A CRASH) resulting in a extreme "Hazard" resulting in injury or death. Now I know the Safety Recall Letter does not say anything about premature deployment, but in only makes sense. If you get into a crash causing the air bag to deploy it's not going to make any difference what State you live in because the same potential is there.

As far as having them turn it off well that's for another discussion another day!

Well guys I'm on my second recall letter maybe even three telling me the parts are coming in on this quarter what a bunch of Bull S... I'm so tired of getting these letters for a potential hazard that could kill me or you. Now I know I heard the potential risk is higher in some states due too extreme heat and/or humidity that may cause airbag inflator housing to deploy and abnormally rupture in the event of a crash with metal fragments killing or causing malice to another Shelby owner.

I believe the high risk factor due too extreme heat and humidity could CAUSE PREMATURE AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT (WITHOUT A CRASH) resulting in a extreme "Hazard" resulting in injury or death. Now I know the Safety Recall Letter does not say anything about premature deployment, but in only makes sense. If you get into a crash causing the air bag to deploy it's not going to make any difference what State you live in because the same potential is there.

As far as having them turn it off well that's for another discussion another day!

You may be a bit off in your logic. There is nothing mentioned about air bags spontaneously deploying. The chemicals (ammonium nitrate) contained in the Takata air bag inflator canister are subject to degradation from humidity and temperature cycling which in turn may cause the chemicals to burn at a faster rate when the air bag inflator is initiated. This degradation and resultant faster burn rate builds too high of a pressure for the canister and a rupture/canister failure occurs (explosion). An air bag inflator is similar in design to a rocket motor and when propellant in a rocket motor burns at too high of a rate it it quickly converts itself to an explosive device.

Also, it does make a difference in which state the vehicle has been kept. In states with fairly stable temps and less humidity, the ammonium nitrate will not degrade at as high of a rate as in states such as Florida where you have large temperature swings and high humidity.

I know my logic at times may be off somewhat and I maybe I'm reaching at straws for premature spontaneous deployment, but you have to admit that your conclusions are on the premise of an individuals with a Takata air bag being someone who stays close to home and never goes on vacations farther than 100 miles and lives in a state of low humidity and temperatures may be true. But what about us Classic car owners who go to auto shows across the Country and go on vacation in locations with high humidity and temperatures can you use the same logic you proposed, I think not or at least I don't want to bet on it if I happen to get into a crash. So as you can see I will agree with you that someone who lives in a state with high humidity and temperature should come first, but I have been waiting since Oct. 2013 and I think that comes under the heading of Bull S...! I'm sure there are other Shelby's owners who have been waiting much longer and taking a chance that they will not get into a wreck and be injured.

I would think that Ford or the Feds should give you the option to turn it off! What do you think?

I know my logic at times may be off somewhat and I maybe I'm reaching at straws for premature spontaneous deployment, but you have to admit that your conclusions are on the premise of an individuals with a Takata air bag being someone who stays close to home and never goes on vacations farther than 100 miles and lives in a state of low humidity and temperatures may be true. But what about us Classic car owners who go to auto shows across the Country and go on vacation in locations with high humidity and temperatures can you use the same logic you proposed, I think not or at least I don't want to bet on it if I happen to get into a crash. So as you can see I will agree with you that someone who lives in a state with high humidity and temperature should come first, but I have been waiting since Oct. 2013 and I think that comes under the heading of Bull S...! I'm sure there are other Shelby's owners who have been waiting much longer and taking a chance that they will not get into a wreck and be injured.

I would think that Ford or the Feds should give you the option to turn it off! What do you think?

I think not. (Note 1)

It's a compound risk assessment. There is a probability of a deployment in an accident, then there is a probability of fragments from the deployment. Still all totaled the number of the latter is significantly less (over ALL manufacturers, not just Ford) than the total number of lives saved for those that "may" be considered at risk. The latter failures get front page and prime time news coverage, the former are just the air bag doing what it is supposed to do, even if it is one subject to recall.

Recall that Ford had only about 5% of their vehicles affected. Think about Nissan which is nearly 100%.

Note 1: Most vehicles have a way (often an ignition key operated switch) to disable the passenger side air bag. It is intended to be used when a child seat is in place. So you could disable that side, But to be fair, you should ask your passengers if they are willing to be at risk for no air bag in the case of a wreck because the one to be sued could be YOU instead of Ford/Takata. I think most driver side are available so just get that side done if you are still concerned.

Your deduction on risk management is flawed in itself by looking at total number of airbags to ones that are defective coming to a conclusion that total number of lives saved for those that may be considered at risk? I'm not talking about passengers or side airbags and definitely not talking about any Nissan vehicles I'm talking about Shelby owners. I have a GT that's capable of speeds over 200 mph and a quarter mile ets of 10:50 139 mph and I don't need another thing to think about on a piss poor airbag you'll think was made in China not Japan.

I or any other muscle car owner should have the right to have it fixed in a timely matter or shut it off, I'm wearing a 5 point harness and I would have a safer risk with it off. No one is going to get sued even though I live in junky California as I'm the one taking the risk or as I look at lessing the risk.

Case Closed

Your deduction on risk management is flawed in itself by looking at total number of airbags to ones that are defective coming to a conclusion that total number of lives saved for those that may be considered at risk? I'm not talking about passengers or side airbags and definitely not talking about any Nissan vehicles I'm talking about Shelby owners. I have a GT that's capable of speeds over 200 mph and a quarter mile ets of 10:50 139 mph and I don't need another thing to think about on a piss poor airbag you'll think was made in China not Japan.

I or any other muscle car owner should have the right to have it fixed in a timely matter or shut it off, I'm wearing a 5 point harness and I would have a safer risk with it off. No one is going to get sued even though I live in junky California as I'm the one taking the risk or as I look at lessing the risk.

Case Closed

Then park it or sell it. Muscle car drivers as a group are likely to be far safer drivers than the general population and you don't see my daughter's Honda being sequestered from the rest of the world.

You can get the driver's side and disable the passenger side if you want.

I'm more worried about that mental midget lunatic in North Korea than the airbag on my Dodge truck (which is under recall but haven't gotten to it).

No I'm not going to park or sell it for you and I'm not going to talk about politics because this is not the venue for it. I'm sure you can find plenty of people on social media who think exactly like you so you will have plenty of topics to talk about and if your desire to sequester your daughters Honda that's your business. Also there is no way to disable any airbags on a 2014 GT500 and why would I want to disable the passenger side airbag when I have one in my face.

Un -Identified Individuals

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup has gone through a similar drawn out process as the Ford products (not just the GT). I got the notice for the driver side well over two years ago with parts availability last year, along with the "remedy not availale" for the passenger side.. Yesterday the notice that the passenger side part is available came in the mail. I wonder if this is the beginning of the trickle of the passenger side stuff into the Fords.

• 1 year later...

Had my passenger side air bag inflator replaced today on my 2006 Hertz.  This was per recall 16S26B.  Received recall letter early April 2018 & called for appt. on 4/19/18.  Parts were not available so I was put on the waiting list.  Received a call just a few days ago stating parts were in stock so I scheduled appt. for this morning.  All is good!

Craig R.

Just called for a n appointment  to have my passenger air bag replaced as per letter received from Ford. They told me they have to order through Ford by my Ser. # will take two weeks to receive parts from Ford. Oh well this has being going for years what` another two weeks.

I bought my Hertz car near the end of May and none of the recalls had been done.  Took car to my local dealership in June. They ordered parts for all 3 recalls and the work was done about 2 weeks ago. They did this:

08C02 PASSENGER AIR BAG

16S26 PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT

15S21 DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT

• 1 month later...

Just had both sides done on 07H079. I took the car into our local Quick lane for a state inspection. The service writer told me he could get the recall done in 2 hours, so I took advantage, since the dealership was telling me I needed to leave the car for a week. Wellllll.....The mechanic must've been having a bad day. He managed to scratch the dash and crack the plastic silver cover. I was not happy, as I have the car entered in a show in 3 weeks. The service writer told me he has a guy who can fix it....We'll see about that. Be careful who goes prying on your dash...

16 hours ago, cougarss428 said:

Just had both sides done on 07H079. I took the car into our local Quick lane for a state inspection. The service writer told me he could get the recall done in 2 hours, so I took advantage, since the dealership was telling me I needed to leave the car for a week. Wellllll.....The mechanic must've been having a bad day. He managed to scratch the dash and crack the plastic silver cover. I was not happy, as I have the car entered in a show in 3 weeks. The service writer told me he has a guy who can fix it....We'll see about that. Be careful who goes prying on your dash...

What are they going to do, get some gorilla glue and caulk the crack?  They need to replace the parts.  Period.

Just a hint to others having the work done:   Take pictures of the steering wheel center and the passenger side top cover and bottom area before bringing it to the dealer. 

3 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

What are they going to do, get some gorilla glue and caulk the crack?  They need to replace the parts.  Period.

Just a hint to others having the work done:   Take pictures of the steering wheel center and the passenger side top cover and bottom area before bringing it to the dealer. 

+1, in addition, due to the severity of this issue and its potential to be DEADLY, I cant see any good reason to not have it done at an authorized dealer.

You have no choice but to get it done by a dealer.  A Ford Service department is the only one that can claim the parts from Ford and are the only ones that can clear the OASIS recall once the part is charged to the car.   There are unsubstantiated claims that some have obtained the parts from the parts department and done it themselves but so far none are in the first person (in other words, "I heard from a friend who knows someone that knows someone that claims they did it themselves" vs "I did it myself", or even a "I helped my neighbor do it"

Archived