TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Airbag Recall Notice

19again

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure why there is a line in my post

When you are posting look at the options below the font size (has the different options such as Bold, Underlined etc) Most likely you enabled line through. Back on topic, I will connect with my local dealer and see what they say on the recall issue. I know the service manager and he is a car guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone get their done yet? If you have a signed passenger airbag cover, how did it go?

Mine was scheduled to go in last week however after talking with the service guys they were clueless and did not even know about the recall. One guy said it was the passenger side another said it was drivers side, I decided to wait to see who gets it done on the forum to explain what is being done. Don’t want to screw up the signature.

Thanks Steve. That is how I read the recall as well: "Driver Airbag Inflator". Others made it sound like it may affect both.

It's just the round inflator in the steering wheel that has the problem. In humid conditions the propellant ignites too quickly resulting in a larger "explosion" then it was designed for, hence the shrapnel in the drivers face.

Steve

It's just the round inflator in the steering wheel that has the problem. In humid conditions the propellant ignites too quickly resulting in a larger "explosion" then it was designed for, hence the shrapnel in the drivers face.

Steve

Good news.

I had this recall done last week. My GT-H is 06H254. It was originally in Orlando and is now in North Carolina. The recall went very smoothly. I arrived at 7:30am and it was ready to go at 8:30am. No issues at all. It is the driver's side airbag only. They replaced just the inflator, not the entire assembly. I still have the same cover and absolutely no damage. I hope everyone else has a good experience as well.

I had this recall done last week. My GT-H is 06H254. It was originally in Orlando and is now in North Carolina. The recall went very smoothly. I arrived at 7:30am and it was ready to go at 8:30am. No issues at all. It is the driver's side airbag only. They replaced just the inflator, not the entire assembly. I still have the same cover and absolutely no damage. I hope everyone else has a good experience as well.

Thanks for the report. Our service manager is a gar guy so I will connect with him and the dealership to get this done.

• 1 month later...

Update on 352's air bag recall. Called the local dealer about an appointment. And the answer I get from the guy is if the lights not on NO PROBLEM. I told him my letter said I needed the recall. He said he understood but no light no recall. So come Monday I will be calling

1-800-FORD.

Update on 352's air bag recall. Called the local dealer about an appointment. And the answer I get from the guy is if the lights not on NO PROBLEM. I told him my letter said I needed the recall. He said he understood but no light no recall. So come Monday I will be calling

1-800-FORD.

Interesting. Curious as to what you learn

1-800-FORD.

Unbelievable on the cluelessness, obviously he has no idea as to the liability he just created for the owner of this dealership.

Steve

1-800-FORD.

Unbelievable on the cluelessness, obviously he has no idea as to the liability he just created for the owner of this dealership.

Steve

What Steve said. You need to move immediately up the food chain. There is no "light" involved here. If this person is telling this to people he is incredibly stupid and putting people's lives at risk. Talk to the manager and tell the manager what you were told and by whom to get this fixed. Then find another service department.

Great ideas offered here for "19again " . Here is a good website and some numbers to call.

https://corporate.ford.com/contact-us.html

Phone
Ford United States

+1-800-392-3673

+1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Saturday, 9:00 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time

Ford Canada

+1-800-565-3673

Lincoln United States

+1-800-392-3673

Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Lincoln Canada

+1-800-387-9333

What Steve said. You need to move immediately up the food chain. There is no "light" involved here. If this person is telling this to people he is incredibly stupid and putting people's lives at risk. Talk to the manager and tell the manager what you were told and by whom to get this fixed. Then find another service department.

Agree, find another service department. Make the calls but go elsewhere.

I did call another dealer and they researched the original recall notice 14B04. They have an amended notice 14B09 which states that with no light no problem but he went further into the notice and Ford will wait for parts then honor the recall. Larry maybe because you are north of the border your recall works differently. I will keep calling until this problem is corrected. Also the cover is not part of the recall. I was hoping to get a new cover with the fix.

I did call another dealer and they researched the original recall notice 14B04. They have an amended notice 14B09 which states that with no light no problem but he went further into the notice and Ford will wait for parts then honor the recall. Larry maybe because you are north of the border your recall works differently. I will keep calling until this problem is corrected. Also the cover is not part of the recall. I was hoping to get a new cover with the fix.

And this second dealer appears to also be giving out incorrect information. The only difference between the original recall and the amended recall is the number of cars involved. The first recall was limited to high humidity southern states, the amended recall covers all states regardless of humidity levels.

Below is a PDF link to the amended recall. Notice no where does it say anything about a warning light.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM469502/RCLRPT-14V802-3610.PDF

Steve

I have not seen any reference anywhere to "no light". I would suggest taking (or emailing) the notice to the dealer and ask him what documentation limits the recall to "you have to have a light"... Maybe there is ANOTHER recall related to faulty air bag status lights, but that Takata inflator recalls have not had any further qualifications.

Yes, thanks Steve for doing this. Next call will be that Ford number that was given in the recall notice.

I made the call to the toll free number this AM. Man on other end said the original recall 14B04 has been updated to 14B09. Another recall will go out as soon as they have they parts for the original 14B04. He also stated that if there is no light there is no problem. My concern is what if we are on the road and the light comes on? Do I have it towed to the nearest Ford store for repair? Who covers the towing and added expense waiting for the repair? I guess until this happens we wait with crossed fingers.

I made the call to the toll free number this AM. Man on other end said the original recall 14B04 has been updated to 14B09. Another recall will go out as soon as they have they parts for the original 14B04. He also stated that if there is no light there is no problem. My concern is what if we are on the road and the light comes on? Do I have it towed to the nearest Ford store for repair? Who covers the towing and added expense waiting for the repair? I guess until this happens we wait with crossed fingers.

I can understand dealership personnel giving out bad info but for corporate Ford to do so it just awful. That is if the 800 number you called was to Ford.

If it was me I would ask the person saying that "no light, no problem" why the SRS airbag light is never mentioned in any of the recall paperwork. I would also ask them since when does the SRS airbag light monitor humidity and possible corrosion to the airbag canister. This second question should have then stuttering quite profusely as I know of no SRS airbag light that monitors humidity nor canister corrosion.

19again, Ford explicitly says no towing or rental car reimbursement so unless your dealer is willing to absorb those costs as a goodwill gesture I wouldn't count on being reimbursed.

Steve

19again, Ford explicitly says no towing or rental car reimbursement so unless your dealer is willing to absorb those costs as a goodwill gesture I wouldn't count on being reimbursed.

Steve

That is sort of true. Ford authorizes the dealer an up to $200 reimbursement for on-site service (i.e., "house call") of Ford GTs

Archived