TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Difference In Power 2012 - 2013 Shelby

AzSideWinder

I have the chance to pick up a 2013 Shelby GT500. I currently have a 2012 which is the 550 HP motor.

What I want to know, is stock vs stock with both years. Have anyone of you had a 2011 or 2012 Shelby and then bought a 2013?

What I'm wanting to know is there a big difference in the power between the 2 cars. Seat of the pants feel? Or do the cars feel very similar.
Ill be driving it later today but I'm not going to be able to beat on it with the seller. So I'm looking for what your Experience is.

I have a stock '14 and a buddy of mine has a stock '12 that I've driven a bit. The power increase in the '14 is certainly noticeable but not dramatic.

Things I like better in the 2013/2014:
- The exhaust is louder. I'm not even tempted to look into an aftermarket exhaust. The 2014 exhaust is perfect.
- HID headlights and LED tails are more modern looking and perform better.
- The 220 mph speedo and the "track only" features on the dash are always good to impress passengers.
- The clutch "hill assist" feature is a nice touch.

Things I like better in the 2012:
- The clutch is much easier to use. The clutch engagement is spread evenly through the entire pedal travel. On the 2014, the clutch does virtually nothing until you release it almost 2/3 of the way up. It's a lot more touchy and hard to launch gracefully.
- The 3.55 gears are better in slow traffic. Less need to dip into the clutch to keep the car going slow.
- I like the grills covering the various radiators up front.
- The wheels are a lot easier to clean vs. the 2014 SVTPP wheels, and I prefer the silver finish vs. the black finish.

I have a stock '14 and a buddy of mine has a stock '12 that I've driven a bit. The power increase in the '14 is certainly noticeable but not dramatic.

Things I like better in the 2013/2014:

- The exhaust is louder. I'm not even tempted to look into an aftermarket exhaust. The 2014 exhaust is perfect.

- HID headlights and LED tails are more modern looking and perform better.

- The 220 mph speedo and the "track only" features on the dash are always good to impress passengers.

- The clutch "hill assist" feature is a nice touch.

Things I like better in the 2012:

- The clutch is much easier to use. The clutch engagement is spread evenly through the entire pedal travel. On the 2014, the clutch does virtually nothing until you release it almost 2/3 of the way up. It's a lot more touchy and hard to launch gracefully.

- The 3.55 gears are better in slow traffic. Less need to dip into the clutch to keep the car going slow.

- I like the grills covering the various radiators up front.

- The wheels are a lot easier to clean vs. the 2014 SVTPP wheels, and I prefer the silver finish vs. the black finish.

Well done!

Here are the major changes from 2012 to 2013:

NEW EXTERIOR FEATURES

Classic Shelby® wide-stripes design on all packages

HID head lamp and LED tail lamps design

Front fascia, front air splitter and grilles

Rear fascia with quad rear-exit exhaust

NEW EXTERIOR COLOR

Deep Impact Blue Metallic (J4)

Red Candy Metallic Tinted Clearcoat (RZ)

Grabber Blue (CI)

Sterling Gray Metallic (UJ)

INTERIOR CHANGES

Unique instrument cluster with Over-Rev indicator and 4.2"

LCD message center with Mustang Track Apps

FUNCTIONAL CHANGES

5.8L Supercharged 4V V8 with Aluminum Block with Engine

Over-Rev capability

Interactive Launch Control

Front Brembo 6-piston calipers

One-piece carbon-fiber driveshaft

Front air splitter (Dealer-installed)

OPTIONS CHANGES

Electronics Package (58N) now available with Shaker Pro

(918)

Heated Seat Package (51S) Not available with (821A)

Perfomance package or Recaro® leather sport seats (88Q)

SVT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE (821A)

Includes:

TORSEN® differential with 3.31 axle ratio

Unique 19'x9.5"(F) 20"x9.5"® "Tarnish" painted forgedaluminum

wheel

Unique front and rear springs

Unique front and rear stabilizer bars

SVT Engineered Bilstein cockpit-selectable dampers

Unique gear shift knob

Spoiler with unique Gurney flap

SVT TRACK PACKAGE (55S) Only available on

Coupes with 821A

External engine oil cooler

Differential cooler with pump

Transmission cooler with pump

Well I did the switch.
I loved my grabber blue but I had leased it thinking Id refi and then when I got a chance to do a refi it just made better sense to get the HP at the same time on another car all I could do with the 12 was cosmetic stuff, pulley and tune. Luckily I had the 50th Anniversary rims to throw on the 13 since I had no intentions of letting them go, nor did I want the stock no traction having Goodwill Eagle F1's, BIG DIFFERENCE leased to get a payment. Now I bought this 2013 and dumped the lease! The Michelin Pilot SS Tires are tremendously better!

I will answer my own question, this 2013 is a big step up from the 12. The 12 is a nice car but this one you can feel the difference in the suspension, its not as hollow sounding as I used to think my 12 and other S197s were, I'm guessing its either the Bilstein Dampers or the extra enforcement for the bigger motor, regardless this was a good move for me, I love it! The power is noticeably different from the 12, what I can tell is I went from the 373 in the 12 to 331 in the 13 and these 331 just wind out longer therefore moving you faster. I liked the shifter better in the 12 it was smoother to me, but maybe I just need more time in the seat. I like the clutch in the 12 better, but I think once I get the hang of it in the 13 Ill be fine, I've only put about 60 miles on it since last night. I also think the exhaust was a little better at idle than the 13 is, and about the same in WOT.

Better pictures coming showing the 50th Wheels on the 13 and a change to my signature picture..

cobra.jpg

seats.JPG

wheelswap2.jpg

pic12.jpg

Edited by AzSideWinder

SVT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE (821A)

Includes:

TORSEN® differential with 3.31 axle ratio

Unique 19'x9.5"(F) 20"x9.5"® "Tarnish" painted forgedaluminum

wheel

Unique front and rear springs

Unique front and rear stabilizer bars

SVT Engineered Bilstein cockpit-selectable dampers

Unique gear shift knob

Spoiler with unique Gurney flap

Coupes with 821A

You can't have the track pack w/ out the performance package

Coupes with 821A

I cant find anything that says I have this option. Oh well I have the track apps so Im happy. Not that Ill use it much if I did have it, and I rarely drive the Shelby when its hot outside.
Love this 13 it is a lot difference than my 12. The front end the way it feels, feels like the old days when I drove my 70 Fastback, very comfortable over the 12 harder riding.

Here are a couple of other links too ----- one where you can order your GT500 certificate and window sticker.

Second one is where you paste URL in the browser, then append the VIN to the end of the link and a PDF of your sticker pops up...

Third one is link to SVT Performance site for production numbers.

Fourth link is to another helpful Teamshelby thread.

http://www.fordshowparts.com/store.cfm?dept_id=1150&cart_id=09135724870111114100831044557220142008&store_id=1&parentID=1150

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?990927-GT500-Production-numbers

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79624-821a-and-svt-perf-pack-same-thing/

Edited by stewarbc

I went from a 2009...my avatar pic...to a 2012 with SVTPP AND a VMP TVS...had 640 to the rear wheels. Well, on Friday I traded that 2012....great car, btw...for a new 2013 vert..loaded.

There IS a difference...and I haven't really gotten the chance to open it up yet. But no regrets onmy parrt.

Of course, my 2012 was one hell of a car!!! But I think this 2013 is better. But hell, that's what they call progress!

Cool page!

Im not seeing anything that indicates track pack.

Do all Windows Stickers for the Shelby say Special Order?

No Track Pack on there. If you're not road racing it you don't care. Mine has it and it's around 40lbs of dead weight and $2500 down the tubes as far as I'm concerned. Edited by Wharf Rat