TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ENGINE TICK

Mustang5

Hi Guys, I have about 1350 miles on my GT 500, most of which are highway miles. I drove the car fairly easy the first 500 miles and have since been pushing it more and more to get a good feel for what she'll do. Any way tonight while going through a drive through, I heard a ticking noise coming from the engine. It can't be heard inside the car with the windows up, but it can be heard when standing next to the front end with the engine idling. It sounds like a noisy lifter to me. Has any one else noticed this or do I have a problem?

Could be a fuel injector. The new mustangs and there four valve cousins of yesteryear, have loud injectors. If you check both sides and it sounds the same with the hood up, thats your problem. I thought they took care of the coolant passage problem in this design. Good luck hope its not another dreaded tick.

Roger

Could be a fuel injector. The new mustangs and there four valve cousins of yesteryear, have loud injectors. If you check both sides and it sounds the same with the hood up, that's your problem. I thought they took care of the coolant passage problem in this design. Good luck hope its not another dreaded tick.

Roger

Like Roger said, could be injectors, with the engine running, feel each injector to see if one is abnormally ticking.

Scott

Hi Guys, I have about 1350 miles on my GT 500, most of which are highway miles. I drove the car fairly easy the first 500 miles and have since been pushing it more and more to get a good feel for what she'll do. Any way tonight while going through a drive through, I heard a ticking noise coming from the engine. It can't be heard inside the car with the windows up, but it can be heard when standing next to the front end with the engine idling. It sounds like a noisy lifter to me. Has any one else noticed this or do I have a problem?

Mine and SCGT500's both do it. The dealer looked at it. You can only hear it, like you said, at a drive through with the echo off of a wall. I've seen this on the forum before and came to the conclusion that it is normal. As long as were talking about the same faint tick.

Yeah, this is pretty common and shouldn't be confused with the dreaded "tick" of the Terminators. My GT500 does it as well and I equate to the sound roller rockers make on a pushrod engine. More like a little tapping vs. a click.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

I have not noticed any tick on my car ?

When it is in my shop and I back out, I hear a faint Hiss of the clutch, which is normal...but no ticking on mine.

MasterMech....the reason you have ticks is because you hang around the dog SCGT500 too much. :hysterical:

that is just your injectors cycling i wouldn't worry about it. they all do it.if you actually put your finger on a injector you can feel it relative to the noise or "tick" and yes they did fix the coolant passage problem since we have the "GT" heads, they have been proven on the "GT" to certified 205 mph, and i am sure that sustained some substantial heat to beable to do that.

Mine and SCGT500's both do it. The dealer looked at it. You can only hear it, like you said, at a drive through with the echo off of a wall. I've seen this on the forum before and came to the conclusion that it is normal. As long as were talking about the same faint tick.

Mine does it too and it's not injectors. Sometimes does it AFTER about 30 secs on warm up...not like cold lifters. Have had 3 SVT places look. They say it's normal. My Term did it too.

bj

Hi Guys,

I want to thank all of you for your input. I think I have come to the same conclusion that it is just one of the many quirks our awesome GT 500 comes with. I am really enjoying my car. I can't believe how quickly it does 50 to 80 mph, sweeet. I hope to get out my local drag strip (Infineon Raceway) in the next 4 weeks or so and see what she'll do. Do any of you live in Northern Calif?

Archived