TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Information -Team Shelby Bash March 5Th Thru March 8Th 2015

MMcGuirk

If you are going to fly and rent a car, you better do it soon as I checked airfare and rental cars for me and prices are already very high do to the Nascar weekend. Airfare is 2-3 times normal and rental rates are pretty high also.

If you are going to fly and rent a car, you better do it soon as I checked airfare and rental cars for me and prices are already very high do to the Nascar weekend. Airfare is 2-3 times normal and rental rates are pretty high also.

Thanks Jeff - We have a direct Allegiant flight from my area to Vegas. I guess I better start checking fares.

Wonder how hotel price will then be?

Conga would be nice Michael,but last years turned into a fast race to Vegas,that killed it for us especially when the "Pace" cars kept racing by us as well! Just saying!

This is the first time I have ever heard anything like this.

We announced that the volunteer pace car drivers will be moving around the group and it should not constitute a challenge to race, as is very hard to control this many drivers in this many cool high performance cars.

We did also announce that if you are not comfortable with a speed limit plus give or take 5 MPH pace, you should drop to the back of the pack and drive your own pace.

I was the last in line, driving 70 MPH (speed limit) and only passed other participants who had stopped for gas or to take photos.

To those joining us for the 2015 Shelby Run and have an issue with this pace, please see me prior to the driver's meeting and we will do our best to accommodate you in order to make your experience more comfortable.

Michael

MM

I've been on 2 Runs from PS to LV so far

Last year's pace was actually slower than the prior year (you remember, when Manny kept running out of gas. LOL)

In any event, I thought the pace for both years was pretty much perfect for the number of cars we had each year - but that's just me, and maybe I drive too fast :shift:

And, BTW, the work of the Team Shelby Photographer each year was off the charts!

Many thanks, again, for setting this up for the benefit of all

See you soon

Pat

Never forget when all the 80 + Shelby's got pulled over on the 15. I think it was 2010. The female CHP officer was shocked when she saw the whole pack coming over the hill. I think she thought there was only a handful. Ms. Amy B was pissed. Now that was hauling. Wifey was not happy at that pace. :)

This is the first time I have ever heard anything like this.

We announced that the volunteer pace car drivers will be moving around the group and it should not constitute a challenge to race, as is very hard to control this many drivers in this many cool high performance cars.

We did also announce that if you are not comfortable with a speed limit plus give or take 5 MPH pace, you should drop to the back of the pack and drive your own pace.

I was the last in line, driving 70 MPH (speed limit) and only passed other participants who had stopped for gas or to take photos.

To those joining us for the 2015 Shelby Run and have an issue with this pace, please see me prior to the driver's meeting and we will do our best to accommodate you in order to make your experience more comfortable.

Michael

Thanks for your reply Michael,I knew that I would get a response!

Please don't take it as a critisicim,I know you and many others put lots of time and effort into putting these events on,which is appreciated!

We were attending our first Bash and I had also convinced my wife to come along as well.

We were in the first 20-30 cars to leave PS and have got to say the pace along the highway to our first turn off owns nothing less than a very high speed trying to keep up with the pack,90mph+ was the average. Being my first I had no idea of what to expect so kept up with them against my better judgement.

Once we hit the 2 lane roads to Lake Havasu the pace slowed a little but continued to climb which by then my wife was getting really uncomfortable with it (me too) so we slowed it to a more comfortable pace as well as stopping for gas some distance from LH.

When we got back on the road to LH we were totally on our own the rest of the way,including getting stuck for a good part of the single lane windy climb behind a motor home.

When we arrived at Lake Havasu and drove to our resturant stop,we were shocked to find that we were the very first to arrive from TS!!!!!!

All the fast guys were stuck in the gas stations filling up!

To me,a big part of our wanting to come on the Bash was athe Run to Vegas,and being in a "Conga" line most of the way on a Team Shelby Cruise,not a high speed run!

As for you saying that you haven't heard of people mentioning this before,that maybe so,but I can tell you that a lot of people I talked to at the 2014 Bash all commented on the fast pace,although some people told me that to be at the back of the run is better as it is at a slower pace,but we had no idea on tha until then!

I just wanted to reply to your comment on "Conga" as it didn't work for us,driving a lot of the way to Vegas alone did not constitute a Conga in anyway whatsoever.

After that expierience I don't think I would include the Shelby Run again!

Having said all that we did meet a great bunch of people at the Bash which we wouldn't change for anything,including you Michael!

I will also chime in as I know some folks know that I am one who would rather travel a little slower and catch the scenery and or be a conga-line car show on the road. Since my attendance to several Bash events, always including my wife who has been uncomfortable on a few of these trying to keep up, I have learned to fall back if the pace is too fast and I usually end up cruising with a group of others with the same philosophy of both sight seeing, enjoying the drive and getting an occasional thumbs up from passer by. Then on occasion catch up to some of the pack with a little spirited driving. All this said, the pace of some of the past runs has been a topic of discussion around the evening tables by attendees. I would think there is no surprise to this. Good or bad, just sharing for consideration. I do have to agree that "it is very hard to control this many drivers in this many cool high performance cars".

To that end, I am ready for Bash 2015 and greatly appreciate all the work that goes into the planning and organizing by volunteers.

Please don't take it as a critisicim,I know you and many others put lots of time and effort into putting these events on,which is appreciated!

We were attending our first Bash and I had also convinced my wife to come along as well.

We were in the first 20-30 cars to leave PS and have got to say the pace along the highway to our first turn off owns nothing less than a very high speed trying to keep up with the pack,90mph+ was the average. Being my first I had no idea of what to expect so kept up with them against my better judgement.

Once we hit the 2 lane roads to Lake Havasu the pace slowed a little but continued to climb which by then my wife was getting really uncomfortable with it (me too) so we slowed it to a more comfortable pace as well as stopping for gas some distance from LH.

When we got back on the road to LH we were totally on our own the rest of the way,including getting stuck for a good part of the single lane windy climb behind a motor home.

When we arrived at Lake Havasu and drove to our resturant stop,we were shocked to find that we were the very first to arrive from TS!!!!!!

To me,a big part of our wanting to come on the Bash was athe Run to Vegas,and being in a "Conga" line most of the way on a Team Shelby Cruise,not a high speed run!

As for you saying that you haven't heard of people mentioning this before,that maybe so,but I can tell you that a lot of people I talked to at the 2014 Bash all commented on the fast pace,although some people told me that to be at the back of the run is better as it is at a slower pace,but we had no idea on tha until then!

I just wanted to reply to your comment on "Conga" as it didn't work for us,driving a lot of the way to Vegas alone did not constitute a Conga in anyway whatsoever.

Having said all that we did meet a great bunch of people at the Bash which we wouldn't change for anything,including you Michael!

Interesting...... considering the amount of feedback and interaction that I get on a continuing basis during any particular Bash, no one said anything to me last year. (you and I had a conversation right after lunch and as I recall, you were very happy with the tour and did not complain)

As the event organizers, the Pacific Coast Region staff are very sensitive to providing an enjoyable experience and I apologize if we did something to offend you.

If you join us in the future, we will make sure to accommodate you and all the other participants who are uncomfortable with the Shelby Run.

Thank you

Michael

Edited by MMcGuirk

Never forget when all the 80 + Shelby's got pulled over on the 15. I think it was 2010. The female CHP officer was shocked when she saw the whole pack coming over the hill. I think she thought there was only a handful. Ms. Amy B was pissed. Now that was hauling. Wifey was not happy at that pace. :)

It was 2009. I was mid pack for that one....Enis was the pace car and we were pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic, not speeding.

The CHP got numerous calls because we were going 65 MPH in a 70 MPH zone and when the "conga line" pulled out, the other traffic was slowed to 45 MPH.

We had a CHP commanding officer in the group with his Super Snake and when the rookie who pulled us over started to yell at us, he stepped up and all of a sudden we were on our way again. He later told me that that stop was bogus and we were not doing anything wrong.

I have been in a couple runs including last years & thought our goup kept a fast pace but consistant . One thing to keep in mind is before the run check your car over mechanically & make sure you start the run with a full tank of gas. Overheard a few say they needed fuel .

Also important is to read the instructions given out & pay attention to what the instructors have to say, after all these people put alot of work into this event for all of us to enjoy. .

Doing this will lead to a great & fun day.

It was 2009. I was mid pack for that one....Enis was the pace car and we were pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic, not speeding.

The CHP got numerous calls because we were going 65 MPH in a 70 MPH zone and when the "conga line" pulled out, the other traffic was slowed to 45 MPH.

We had a CHP commanding officer in the group with his Super Snake and when the rookie who pulled us over started to yell at us, he stepped up and all of a sudden we were on our way again. He later told me that that stop was bogus and we were not doing anything wrong.

2009, thanks. Yes, my man Enis was the lead. I do respectfully disagree with 65. I was at 90 much of the time and did not catch up to the main pack until the group was pulled over. Many Shelbys cutting in & out of traffic trying to get around the general traffic flow. Ok, that does not mean everyone was doing this. And then there was the braking. OMG. I even called Enis and said you are losing many. After the pull over, we had a great conga line of Shelbys and I know my wife was relieved bless her heart. All that said, one for the history books. My reason for responding is just to convey, if the pace is to fast for some at times, slow and enjoy the sights. If spirit driving is appropriate then enjoy. It took me a couple of Bash events to learn this. It's all good.

Also agree, start with a full tank, read the instructions and use them. Staff does a great job in putting them together. 80 to 100 cars is hard to manage.

Edited by H0050

2009, thanks. Yes, my man Enis was the lead. I do respectfully disagree with 65. I was at 90 much of the time and did not catch up to the main pack until the group was pulled over. Many Shelbys cutting in & out of traffic trying to get around the general traffic flow. Ok, that does not mean everyone was doing this. And then there was the braking. OMG. I even called Enis and said you are losing many. After the pull over, we had a great conga line of Shelbys and I know my wife was relieved bless her heart. All that said, one for the history books. My reason for responding is just to convey, if the pace is to fast for some at times, slow and enjoy the sights. If spirit driving is appropriate then enjoy. It took me a couple of Bash events to learn this. It's all good.

Also agree, start with a full tank, read the instructions and use them. Staff does a great job in putting them together. 80 to 100 cars is hard to manage.

Fellas, as the "LEAD" Pace Car, for the past few Bash Cruises I can tell you this...when we left Palm Springs last year, I had my cruise control set at 78mph. The speed limit out there on I-10 is 70mph.

Now what happens in any long line of cars, is you get an elastic effect. Cars farther back, fall farther back from merge and/or traffic that needs to be sorted through, and as such, back markers, in an effort to catch the group, really have to start peddling...

For those up front asked me, more than once, (sarcastically of course) if I ever took my car out of third gear...lol

Supersnake, you comment that you beat us all to the restaurant because we were at the gas station. The protocol has always been to get gas before the lunch stop so when lunch is finished, everyone is once again on the same fuel cycle, and we can leave on masse.

Harald, I was right behind Enis back in '09, and we weren't going fast, its just when a 100 cars are going down the road, trying to stay together, we jam up the flow.

We have to be aware of the civilians around us, and let them filter through the line....I saw back then cars were blocked because they couldn't work their way through.

If you want a leisurely cruise, get up near the front in the first 20 cars or so....

Motor On!

Edited by Cali_KR

Fellas, as the "LEAD" Pace Car, for the past few Bash Cruises I can tell you this...when we left Palm Springs last year, I had my cruise control set at 78mph. The speed limit out there on I-10 is 70mph.

Now what happens in any long line of cars, is you get an elastic effect. Cars farther back, fall farther back from merge and/or traffic that needs to be sorted through, and as such, back markers, in an effort to catch the group, really have start peddling...

For those up front asked me, more than once, (sarcastically of course) if I ever took my car out of third gear...lol

Supersnake, you comment that you beat us all to the restaurant because we were at the gas station. The protocol has always been to get gas before the lunch stop so when lunch is finished, everyone is once again on the same fuel cycle, and we can leave on masse.

Harald, I was right behind Enis back in '09, and we weren't going fast, its just when a 100 cars are going down the road, trying to stay together, we jam up the flow.

We have to be aware of the civilians around us, and let them filter through the line....I saw back then cars were blocked because they couldn't work their way through.

If you want a leisurely cruise, get up near the front in the first 20 cars or so....

Motor On!

For me it's all good. I definitely understand the elastic effect. So much easier with 5 fire engines. :) By the way, did you get a picture of Jenni signing the hood? I'm sure that's who the 4th signature is. Thanks for taking the others. Greatly appreciated. MM dropped it off today on his way to Carmel (very nice).

Edited by H0050

For me it's all good. I definitely understand the elastic effect. So much easier with 5 fire engines. :) By the way, did you get a picture of Jenni signing the hood? I'm sure that's who the 4th signature is. Thanks for taking the others. Greatly appreciated. MM dropped it off today on his way to Carmel (very nice).

Gary Patterson, Rich Sparkman, Akos, Fehr + Jenni

Hi there Michael. Unfortunately, looks like I won't be able to make the bash this year on the account of a lack of funds. If you don't mind me making a suggestion regarding the LA to Vegas run comments, I think that you can have everyone stop at the last rest area before coming off the hill into Vegas. This way everyone can meet up and cruise into Vegas at once. Its close enough for most people to stay together for that short time.This would also help for those that do make an unplanned gas stops, like I did during the last run. LOL. Back in 2012, it was cool that we all stopped for lunch and was a site to see. But some people were eager and wanted to get to Vegas before others. Why? I don't know cause I thought the whole point was so we could all ride in together and do the photo op of us all cruising into Vegas. It was not the organizers or pace cars fault. I blame the impatient TS members that can't seem to want to be together. After all, everyone's going to the same place and the events start at the same time for everyone, so I don't get it. You guys do a great job planning! Keep up the good work.! Just wanted to throw out my thoughts. Take care!

Hi there Michael. Unfortunately, looks like I won't be able to make the bash this year on the account of a lack of funds. If you don't mind me making a suggestion regarding the LA to Vegas run comments, I think that you can have everyone stop at the last rest area before coming off the hill into Vegas. This way everyone can meet up and cruise into Vegas at once. Its close enough for most people to stay together for that short time.This would also help for those that do make an unplanned gas stops, like I did during the last run. LOL. Back in 2012, it was cool that we all stopped for lunch and was a site to see. But some people were eager and wanted to get to Vegas before others. Why? I don't know cause I thought the whole point was so we could all ride in together and do the photo op of us all cruising into Vegas. It was not the organizers or pace cars fault. I blame the impatient TS members that can't seem to want to be together. After all, everyone's going to the same place and the events start at the same time for everyone, so I don't get it. You guys do a great job planning! Keep up the good work.! Just wanted to throw out my thoughts. Take care!

Great thoughts Denstang65, I agree with your thoughts on this!!

Without a doubt it is the TS members that are the only ones who can correct this! One of the biggest things for me going into my first Bash this year was the thought of all of us "Cruising" together in,as Michael says "Conga" which is/would be a sight to see!

As I originally said,cruising on our own,because we chose to drop outta the fast pace guys did not constitute my idea of us all being in a drive with other people from the TS run to Vegas!

It would have been nice to drive with other Shelby Mustangs for sure!

Keeping that many cars together for that many miles is quite a challenge and not one that has any easy solutions. We got into a group behind someone going the very wrong way out of PS until we realized they were heading the totally wrong direction so some fairly spirited driving ensued on I-10 in order to catch up to the group.. Which happened at the offramp where everyone was waiting to get past the drooling construction workers anyway :drool:

After that though it was a pretty nice conga line to the optional potty stop and then lunch, despite the Winnebagos. Even the nice gentleman from the CHP just waved instead of objecting to me trying to get pictures of people from the passing lane (aka oncoming traffic) because we were all driving in a safe, controlled, and not too fast manner..

I think folks got a little too spread out trying to get out of town after lunch though so there were a lot of different groups doing varying speeds (and in at least one case, going way off course!). I think last year's run was a little better in that regard because we all stopped for a photo op outside of town which bunched us back together so we were able to stay more together all the way into Vegas in a nice double line up I15. So I'd definitely second the suggestion of having a scheduled stop somewhere outside town where we can all get back on the road more or less together. That was one of the highlights of the trip for us last year (of course, playing tag with a Super Snake while catching up on I10 was one of the highlights this year, so YMMV!) And as Harald said earlier, if you don't want to keep up with the speed demons that will always be in this group, just lay off and wait for others to catch up. Unless the folks towing in the rear of the group catch you, someone will almost certainly be along in a few minutes to conga with! :shoppingcart_::shoppingcart_: :shoppingcart_:

Either way, kudos to Michael, Tom, and the rest of the team for managing to put it all together and prevent any true horror stories from coming out of the experience! If the worst that happens is a few people getting separated from the pack and 1-2 tickets each year from the one grumpy CHP officer who works in the middle of the desert and hates us with a passion -- then I think it's a pretty successful cruise through some beautiful landscapes for 80+ high performance beasts.

Great thoughts Denstang65, I agree with your thoughts on this!!

Without a doubt it is the TS members that are the only ones who can correct this! One of the biggest things for me going into my first Bash this year was the thought of all of us "Cruising" together in,as Michael says "Conga" which is/would be a sight to see!

As I originally said,cruising on our own,because we chose to drop outta the fast pace guys did not constitute my idea of us all being in a drive with other people from the TS run to Vegas!

It would have been nice to drive with other Shelby Mustangs for sure!

You must've had a spy satellite on us as we were just having that discussion....

You must've had a spy satellite on us as we were just having that discussion....

Ha ha. Nope, no techno stuff on my end. I still drive a 65 Mustang everyday and use a flip phone. LOL I just happen to read a couple of comments and though I would share an I Idea. See, great minds do think alike!

I don't think my wife will be going with me this year, if not Dennis, Start saving some money cause your riding with me. :peelout:

Will miss TS family, not likely to attend this one.