TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Am Renting A 2015 Mustang

ShelbyKR664

Could not believe my luck today. I am in Charlotte for a conference and my full size rental car from National was not available. I told the guy I really need to get to where I am going. He said we just unloaded a 2015 Mustang. 7 miles on the clock!! Would that work? So here I go. This is the 6cyl version. When I first saw it, I looked at the rear and noticed the dual tips. I thought oh yea but did not see the GT symbol. I opened the hood and confirmed the 6cyl.

Power- it is there but nothing like the 5.4 or 5.8. The grunt or sound is not there, but it really is not suppose to be. This is a different Mustang. The power kicks in at about 4300rpm. This car is also equipped with the paddle shifters. Awesome feature IMO. This made driving this car in the city and highway very entertaining. I can imagine this this feature would be really beneficial on the track.

Interior- Much better than I expected. Seats are really nice and firm. Very sporty. Dash layout is really nice. Fit and finish is superb. The faux carbon fiber center dash is really attractive. Steering wheel is much better than my 08 KR. Nice grip and feel. Lights up at night like a Christmas tree. Gauges are easy to read. Back seat is very tight and suitable for kids only. The quality of materials is excellent. The feel of the touch point items such as the knobs and shifter are very good.

Exterior- paint looks very nice. This car is the deep mineral gray. Looks very high quality. There are many curves on this car. The view from the drivers seat is very different from the 05-14 Stangs. The nose is very long and you see most of it from the seat. I really like the front and rear lights. Very bright and eye catching. The lower rocker panels are very Roush like in design. I like the lower look. The wheels are cool looking too. I have not seen these on any of the pre-press photos. Nice look and I don't think I would change them. Deep front air dam is very nice. I like the look. The nose to me is just too long though. Seems out of proportion to the rest of the body.

Balance- this car is balanced. Feels very European to me. I have a 07 BMW 530i and there are similarities. I pushed it a few times coming off exits and the car felt glued. I am sure the new IRS was a big help. I did not feel like it was heavy at all. Even felt nimble.

Negatives- 1. Exhaust note is too wimpy. I am sure the aftermarket will come up with something.2. Power surge comes on a little late but not too bad. Not a deal breaker.

3. Blind spot is bad on driver's side. The side mirrors do have blind spot mirrors but still a challenge. 4. Maybe too many buttons on the center dash. 5. Can't fit adults in the back unless they are less than 4'. I sat in the back (6' 179lbs) and had trouble. My head hit the roof.

Other- this car is also equipped with the sport steering adjustment. I tried all three Normal/Sport/Comfort. The Sport was the most noticeable as it felt tighter. The turning radius is also very good. Brakes felt very firm with good grip. I had a chance to go about 80mph and hit the brakes pretty hard. The car stayed straight as an arrow.

Bottom line- (IMO) very commendable effort from Ford. This car is totally different the previous generations. The car is different enough to make it interesting. Would I now consider buying one after driving one in all conditions? YES. This car is fun to drive. I also averaged about 25mpg all day. I put about 150 miles so far. The 5.2ltr GT versions should be a blast to drive. I feel this car will be a winner. I lost count on the number of thumbs up I got today. I had two people signal me over so they could look at the car. The guy was driving a 13 GT500. I felt he was serious. I got off at the Concord exit pulled into the BP station. After about 5 minutes, there were about 8 guys looking at the car. It will get attention. The looks grew on me throughout the day. I think the aftermarket will really go to work on this car. Shelby has a great platform to tinker with. I can't wait to see what is in store. I will keep my 08 KR for now. The GT350 may change my mind. Hope this was helpful to some. LATER. I am going to take it out for one more spin tonight.

photo 1.JPGback 2.JPGinterior.JPG

So it's an Eco boost 4 cyl correct, or is it the NA V6? You said 6 and ecoboost. I'm not seeing the boost gauge in the center, so guessing that it's the NA V6, there is no ecoboost V6. That sure is a great color however, that is a new color called Magnetic. Those wheels work great with that color combo.

I am in Charlotte for a conference....

Great write up on the 2015. Very objective. What part of town are you staying in? Maybe an opportunity to meet before you leave.

Ummm, Mustang's have a back seat?? :whistling:

They do if you are under the age of 7 years old. My girls still can get back there, but no one else in the family can. ;)

ShelbyKR664,

Thanks for sharing your real world encounter with the 2015 Mustang. Lots of good news here, but your first photo above does confirm the "long nose" comment.

As I drove it more, I became more used to it. Turning the car in a tight parking lot though does take a little getting used to. The hood is very flat.

Okay Bill, you are a lucky man, as you know I am 6'5" tall will I fit???????

Not in the back seat! This particular car had the power driver's seat. I moved the seat as low as it would go. You would have plenty of room. I ended up putting over 200 miles on the car. Had a ball driving it around Charlotte.

Great write up on the 2015. Very objective. What part of town are you staying in? Maybe an opportunity to meet before you leave.

Viper, would have loved to hook up with you. You could have taken it for a spin. My meeting was at the convention center downtown. I got back home tonight. I did take the car on some back roads earlier today. Rt 73 in particular. I really pushed it in spots. Car handled anything I through at it. Shelby has a good platform to work from on this one.

Viper, would have loved to hook up with you. You could have taken it for a spin. My meeting was at the convention center downtown. I got back home tonight. I did take the car on some back roads earlier today. Rt 73 in particular. I really pushed it in spots. Car handled anything I through at it. Shelby has a good platform to work from on this one.

Hit me up in advance next time you're in town.

Archived