TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Said I Wouldn't Do It...but Whats The Next Performance Upgrade

cormy

Thinking the top is Heat Exchanger. TVS ??

TVS supercharger. Frankly, unless you're only looking for more power, your best bet is to upgrade the cooling system, brakes, chassis and tires/wheels. Then the car will handle properly, launch properly, cool efficiently which = sustainable HP, and stop effectively. HP is useless if you don't have these other factors resolved prior. If you do the heat exchanger, get the radiator upgrade at the same time. That is the lesson I learned... Wish I had done both at the same time, but I was rushing to get the car done for a mountain excursion.

Why the radiator upgrade? Never replaced mine and never overheated but had heatsoak problems with the original heat exchanger so I replaced it with the high performance version, no more heat soak. Original radiator.

It would have been an easy install with the bumper cover already off. Not that the car is overheating, but cooler engine temps are always a plus and especially under sustained spirited driving conditions.

3.73s gears are a nice upgrade, all of the GT500s should have came with them right from the factory.

I can also recommend the VMP Gen2, early strip numbers on mine (127+mph) with the larger 2.6 pulley, 113mm CAI and stock fuel system are indicating an honest 660+ rwhp.

At some point you might want to pick up a larger throttle body too, looks like the twin 67mm seems to be popular now, running a twin 72mm myself.

For the exhaust, bolting on a set of Ford Racing KR mufflers is a nice upgrade, offers less restriction and are still relatively quiet until you step on it.

The KR mufflers also have a fancier looking exhaust tip on them too.

None of these mods will hurt the driveability or streetability of the car either, but they sure help to step up performance.

All of these I would consider to be fairly simple bolt-ons for the average home mechanic too, except possibly for the gear change.

For me it was too though, as I bought a complete SVT GT500 axle assembly, painted/detailed it and then bolted it in myself.

The 1 piece driveshaft I would consider an essential upgrade whenever you are stepping up the power.

I went with a Dynotech aluminum one, and it has worked nicely for me so far.

ok back to the exhaust it seems. Want to keep the H pipe set up for the low end push but looking to replace the stock cats with hi flow, mid pipe and I guess all the way back. Was looking through the exhaust in the mod section but nothing really jumped out to me.

3.73s gears are a nice upgrade, all of the GT500s should have came with them right from the factory.

I can also recommend the VMP Gen2, early strip numbers on mine (127+mph) with the larger 2.6 pulley, 113mm CAI and stock fuel system are indicating an honest 660+ rwhp.

At some point you might want to pick up a larger throttle body too, looks like the twin 67mm seems to be popular now, running a twin 72mm myself.

For the exhaust, bolting on a set of Ford Racing KR mufflers is a nice upgrade, offers less restriction and are still relatively quiet until you step on it.

The KR mufflers also have a fancier looking exhaust tip on them too.

None of these mods will hurt the driveability or streetability of the car either, but they sure help to step up performance.

All of these I would consider to be fairly simple bolt-ons for the average home mechanic too, except possibly for the gear change.

For me it was too though, as I bought a complete SVT GT500 axle assembly, painted/detailed it and then bolted it in myself.

The 1 piece driveshaft I would consider an essential upgrade whenever you are stepping up the power.

I went with a Dynotech aluminum one, and it has worked nicely for me so far.

+1 Some great advice here!! :yahoo:

ok. Still recovering from the clutch job and additional expenses. Looking for a hp increase that I can install costing $500-800.

How about no HP gain, but something that would feel like you gained HP? DRIVESHAFT. Trust me. Less rotating mass = more efficient transfer of power to the rear wheels. You can get an aluminum shaft for that price range and install yourself. It's easy. I went the carbon shaft route and although more expensive, I have zero regrets. One of the best mods I have done and immediately felt the difference in the seat of my pants.

ok. Still recovering from the clutch job and additional expenses. Looking for a hp increase that I can install costing $500-800.

+1 a better driveshaft is good advice.

More ideas: High-performance 15% overdrive harmonic balancer pulley or a high quality throttle body. Either one is about $550-750 and would give you some more HP.

Any significant increase for $500 - $800 would be tough, as you have already done the lower cost power upgrades.

If it is power you are after and you are patient, you might be able to find a good used FRPP 2.3L TVS blower, that would give you a significant power boost.

You might find one in the $800 - $1200 range, and if lucky maybe already with the VMP high flow elbow and their smaller 2.5" pulley.

Those items along with a bigger throttle body later on could put you around the 620 rwhp range, and that can be done with your stock exhaust system too.

Although not as glamorous, the driveshaft upgrade would be a good choice, it would be wise to upgrade that before you have the factory one fail.

My favorite driver friendly mods are the FRPP short throw KR shifter, the FRPP shifter handle and knob, and the Raptor shift light.

You can install all 3 yourself and they only cost around $400 or so.

Edited by msb64

Go the free route and lighten up a few pounds. I've shaved nearly 300 off my car... not easy, but worth it.

Free? I don't recall my efforts to reduce and redistribute weight being free? Tell us your secrets!

Back to the intercooler. I don't see how a modest HP increase cant be the result when providing additional cooling to the mixture into the chambers.. :headscratch:

Or is this not what's happening with a upgraded dual core unit?

Heat exchanger is for the purpose of keeping the super charger cool and decreasing heat soak and therefore "preserving" existing HP. Does this help?

Go the free route and lighten up a few pounds. I've shaved nearly 300 off my car... not easy, but worth it.

well let's see Cormy isn't heavy and he already got a divorce..... I'm sure it wasn't free and I've met his ex and she doesn't weigh 300 lbs..... must be some other way..... :shrug: