TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Gt Rally 9 At Shelby American

twobjshelbys

This is the group photo. My lens wasn't wide enough to get the whole thing. There was a pro photographer there and he got a wider one, along with a group photo.

DSC_4703_zps9db2c250.jpg

The drone was cool.

DSC_4705_zps416058bf.jpg

I've done the tour inside quite a few times so I didn't get alot. I am a sucker for Coupes though. Gary Patterson gave the tour.

DSC_4709_zps28998ed9.jpg

We went to Spring Mountain track on Thursday and Gary was there. During open track he was driving a Shelby GT/SC. At the very end of the day Gary drove my car for about 15 minutes. I got some seat time with a world class instructor and he got to drive a hot car :) My car started to heat up so he wasn't too hard on it but still was doing more than I could. It was a great ride.

Very cool event. Thanks for Sharing the pictures. Cool to see so many GT in one place. MM brought my # 120 GT-H take off hood and had Gary P and I believe Akos F. sign it. Wish I could have gone to se all the cars. Sounds like the track was fun sitting in the right seat..

It was a great event, and thrilled I had the opportunity to take part

A new configuration for the track with some added elevation changes.I

Thanx to Michael McGuirk and Fadi, I got sessions to drive each of their cars, (2011 GT350 and 2005 FR500S respectively)

Good times., great friends.

image.jpg

Great Pics as always Tony! Thanks so much for posting them. I figured you would get some out. I'm pretty shocked at those Matech cars being here in the US now. I can't imagine what was paid for those cars and then getting them here. Where do they live now, CA?

Great pictures, and what a gathering! I am a bit surprised at all the heavily modified ones. If I ever get a chance to buy one, I would want one just like it left the factory and would keep it that way, but I know some people can't resist "personalizing" their rides, especially new ones.

Great pictures, and what a gathering! I am a bit surprised at all the heavily modified ones. If I ever get a chance to buy one, I would want one just like it left the factory and would keep it that way, but I know some people can't resist "personalizing" their rides, especially new ones.

There are some purists that do keep their cars stock. Bone stock the car has more potential on the track than most mere mortals can ever used.

The "modding" of cars was discussed during the panel discussion with the design (Camilo) and engineering teams. They said they were directed from on-high at Ford that the engine would have to be capable of at least 800HP (or was it 850) to allow for power train upgrades. We all know that the engine is capable over 1000HP with the twin turbo config.

They didn't expect the "straight line" type of usage (e.g., the Texas Mile). The original GT40s were road track cars and that was the expected usage model for the Ford GT. I'll be posting a video of most of the panel discussion later this or next week (I need to do some editing, it's an hour and nearly filled a 16GB SD card so I've got to cut it down by reducing resolution.

+1

Thank you for sharing!!! Do you have the rally at the same time each year? Would like to see that group in person!

The rally schedule varies from year to year and is always in a different place from last year (there have been two in Vegas but that was 5 or 6 years ago). Next year is in Dearborn for the 10th anniversary of the GT.

This may be one of the few cars where the addition of the "lamborghini" door hinges actually helps instead of hinders the function of the doors due to the door/roof interaction of the stock doors. Guessing those were custom one off units produced for the black car up there.

This may be one of the few cars where the addition of the "lamborghini" door hinges actually helps instead of hinders the function of the doors due to the door/roof interaction of the stock doors. Guessing those were custom one off units produced for the black car up there.

Yes, they call them "butterfly doors" here (it's a more generic name) but it's about 20K to install them... It involves some major work to the door hinges and bracing. Essentially the entire front of the car has to come off.

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, PrimoShelbyUSAFvet said:

This annual event still going on/still a thing?

The event at Shelby American was a one-time event.    Ford GT rallys come and go, having skipped a few years.  One is supposed to happen in Phoenix but I'd bet that is iffy.   You have to be a Ford GT owner to participate.

Archived