TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013-14 Tail Light Conversion Finally Here!

Droog

http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-taillight-conversion-trim-1012.html

Who would have thought that the best solution would also be the simplest solution? I always wanted Raxiom to give our generation a tail light conversion like they did for the 05-09 Mustangs but deep down I could see that, while it was good looking, it wasn't AS good looking as the OEM tail lights on a new Mustang.

Now Raxiom decided that instead of going through the trouble of redesigning new tail lamps they found a way to let us use the OEM ones and cover the glaring hole they leave in our bumper. It's a no-brainer now but I'm glad they're doing it.

So are you going to pick one up? I want to see what they look like on a Sterling Gray model before pulling the trigger,because I'll need to decide if I want to black out the decklid (is there an OEM part for that?). Also while these look great in gloss black to match the light I wonder how it would look painted to color match your ride.

I know what you mean. I've already been scouring eBay but it seems like all the decently priced ones are also damaged in one way or another.

Even my employee discount doesn't get me much. Gotta save some pennies it looks like.

I think the gloss black will look good on a black car, & odd / out of place, on anything else.

To make it look like something other than an after thought, it would have to be painted to match the rest of the car.

One of the things I didn't like about the 13/14 MY, was the way the stripes didn't flow on the rear of the car. I had considered having the rear painted to correct this, while it was on order. ( saw this on another site )

After delivery, I decided against it.

A tail light conversion is something I wouldn't consider on my 11, I like it's rear just the way it is..

I ordered the two plastic pieces and will paint them when I get a hold of em. Then I'm gonna discretely yank the '13 tail lights off my wife's GTS and find out how good it looks with the "gap filler" painted.

I don't know what I'm more excited about.... Trying this mod out, or seeing if my wife even notices I "ganked" her tail lights!

Like everyone I'd like to see how it looks painted too. Personally I think it looks fine in the gloss black because it'll blend with the light housing, but I am curious to see how the lines change when it's painted (I wonder if AM will release a pre-painted version as they have with other parts in the past). The other thing I'd like to see is how these lights look with a non-black decklid. Obviously all the current Mustangs feature a black decklid which ties the lights together so nicely but maybe it'll look just as good without!

I'm planning a trip to a pick'n'pull to see if I can find any decent taillights from a front-end collision because if I steal them off an inventory model at work I think they'll figure out the culprit pretty quick.

I've been kinda thinking about this, which always gets me in trouble.........

Here is a pic of an 11/12 with a 13 tail light in place....

IMG_6064_zpsdb500f28.jpg

Obvious bottom gap, but everything else seems to be the same as an 11/ 12.

So, what would happen if you took a tail light frame from an 11/12, and cut the bars off that frame the back up lights?

photo_zpsf224c924.jpg

Would the lower edge on the frame be tall enough to cover the bottom edge of a 13 tail light? Would the "pointed" area be tall enough to cover the gap, without the line

of the American Muscle part? There would be no worries on paint vs. non paint........I think this is the part that needs to be made........

I better go back to work now.....

Mike

I don't think so. I think in order to cover the full gap you'd have to cut into the light itself, leaving your car looking like someone cut-and-pasted a '13's lights on top of yours.

Better to just get the extra bit of plastic AM makes rather than chop up some perfectly good tail-lights.

• 2 months later...

I ordered the two plastic pieces and will paint them when I get a hold of em. Then I'm gonna discretely yank the '13 tail lights off my wife's GTS and find out how good it looks with the "gap filler" painted.

I don't know what I'm more excited about.... Trying this mod out, or seeing if my wife even notices I "ganked" her tail lights!

So did you ever do this conversion??

Mike

Yep, its done. I posted pics over on my "home" forum and kind of forgot about my posts over here. I kept the trim pieces black in order for them to blend in a bit better since the '13 tail lights are dark to begin with. I don't have "solid" pics since it's -25 below with the wind chill, and I'm not pulling the Shelby out to get a 10ft shot of the rear of the car. Have to wait till Spring!

IMG_1379_zpsa7acd265.jpg

IMG_1376_zps5e5b9b4a.jpg

IMG_1374_zps8186c190.jpg

Thank you Matt, for posting these pics. I have said it before and will again...I love your car, especially your sig pic. The 13/14 tail lights have really grown on me, and I think your conversion came out great!! I would consider it......IF I could find a reasonable price on tail lights.....

Thanks again for posting it up.

Mike

Thank you Matt, for posting these pics. I have said it before and will again...I love your car, especially your sig pic. The 13/14 tail lights have really grown on me, and I think your conversion came out great!! I would consider it......IF I could find a reasonable price on tail lights.....

Thanks again for posting it up.

Mike

Not a problem, and thanks for the compliments! They're always appreciated! You actually CAN find decent prices on '13 tail lights. Good news, they're the same for ALL mustangs in '13-'14 so you can find them. Local sourcing will help a ton. Just have to be patient. If you do go this route, remember to get the pigtails with the taillights. Ford does not sell the pigtails separate. They sell them as part of the tail light. Lucky for me I found a set of pigtails on ebay! Half price of new is what you'll be looking to pay. New is $1600.00

TMatt142 you have an amazing looking car, I love the color combo of the perf. White with the silver stripes and of course the classic Alcoas are always a nice finishing touch, they're the best looking rim on the shelby with the TF super sports coming in at 2nd IMO, 13-14 taillights are not for me, I didn't like the fact that ford changed the rear end for the 13-14, the blacked-out taillights don't look good on any other color but black and the plastic inserts detract from the rear end by disrupting the continuity of the stripes. I specifically wanted a 11-12 because of how nice the rear end looks, I know every one loves the huge HP numbers that the 13-14 has, including me but with a few mods the 10-12 can reach those numbers with ease. Never the less you have a beautiful car!

Thank you sir! I really do appreciate the compliments. I'm in the same boat as you in regards to the rear ends of the '13-14's. To me, it's too tall looking and not proportionate. At the same time though, I simply love the tail lights of the '13-'14's. Can't explain it, I just do. So this was a good compromise for me. Maybe not the smartest mod in terms of the all mighty dollar but hey, I think we all have chucked common sense out the window when it comes to these cars. I don't plan on modding the power plant on this thing too much, and I much prefer the gearing on the '11-12's. BTW, those are not Alcoas. Crazy as it may seem, me going out and spending a ridiculous amount of money on tail lights, I could never justify spending the absorbent amount of money Alcoas are fetching. IMO, insanely overpriced! Enough of my blasphemy... Thanks again for your kind words.

Thank you sir! I really do appreciate the compliments. I'm in the same boat as you in regards to the rear ends of the '13-14's. To me, it's too tall looking and not proportionate. At the same time though, I simply love the tail lights of the '13-'14's. Can't explain it, I just do. So this was a good compromise for me. Maybe not the smartest mod in terms of the all mighty dollar but hey, I think we all have chucked common sense out the window when it comes to these cars. I don't plan on modding the power plant on this thing too much, and I much prefer the gearing on the '11-12's. BTW, those are not Alcoas. Crazy as it may seem, me going out and spending a ridiculous amount of money on tail lights, I could never justify spending the absorbent amount of money Alcoas are fetching. IMO, insanely overpriced! Enough of my blasphemy... Thanks again for your kind words.

Your welcome, I'm surprised that they aren't Alcoas they look just as good. I hear you on the inflated prices that the Alcoas have been going for, crazy. Was your car originally a stripe delete option? And if so where did you purchase and have your stripes installed? I have a Kona blue stripe delete GT500 and I am thinking about going the stripes route either silver or white, but I do like how clean the car looks without them. It makes you appreciate the clean body lines of the gt500. Especially that retro 67-68 inspired hitch right below the quarter window, I love that distinct body line. The silver stripes look good on your perf. White. I'm relatively new to the Shelby but I love it....except for the hockey puck GY tires that came on the car, awful!

Your welcome, I'm surprised that they aren't Alcoas they look just as good. I hear you on the inflated prices that the Alcoas have been going for, crazy. Was your car originally a stripe delete option? And if so where did you purchase and have your stripes installed? I have a Kona blue stripe delete GT500 and I am thinking about going the stripes route either silver or white, but I do like how clean the car looks without them. It makes you appreciate the clean body lines of the gt500. Especially that retro 67-68 inspired hitch right below the quarter window, I love that distinct body line. The silver stripes look good on your perf. White. I'm relatively new to the Shelby but I love it....except for the hockey puck GY tires that came on the car, awful!

Yes, mine was a stripe delete. I was tired of looking at white "cue ball." I purchased the stripes from a vinyl vendor and installed them myself. Two reasons. First, ordering factory stripes from Ford takes about $1800 our of your wallet. And that's for a crappy grade vinyl. Second, Vinyl guys will charge quite a bit to do the work. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I got estimates from 1k and up. So the way I did it, I spent a grand total of about $550-600 dollars. Another reasons why I striped it myself. Please don't take this as I'm ripping on everybodies factory stripes, I'm not. Every look at how the factory stripes just end at various points. The trunk, rear spoiler, roof, etc.. Everywhere there is a body seem, the stripes end. I didn't like that and wrapped all my stripes. The third brake light is an especially troublesome area that I just thought Ford could have done better. I understand why they didn't get detailed with stripe installation but it bugged me. Doing all of it myself, I fixed that.

DSC00849_zps6f084f39.jpg

Took me a few days to vinyl the car, had to take the spoiler, faux gas cap, and front grills (both) to do it the way I wanted but I took my time. It actually was both fun and frustrating installing the stripes. There are a couple areas I need to re-do that probably nobody else can see, but I can so I'll fix all that when it gets a little warmer out. You should try striping the car yourself. All it takes is a little patience, and some beer!

Yes, mine was a stripe delete. I was tired of looking at white "cue ball." I purchased the stripes from a vinyl vendor and installed them myself. Two reasons. First, ordering factory stripes from Ford takes about $1800 our of your wallet. And that's for a crappy grade vinyl. Second, Vinyl guys will charge quite a bit to do the work. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I got estimates from 1k and up. So the way I did it, I spent a grand total of about $550-600 dollars. Another reasons why I striped it myself. Please don't take this as I'm ripping on everybodies factory stripes, I'm not. Every look at how the factory stripes just end at various points. The trunk, rear spoiler, roof, etc.. Everywhere there is a body seem, the stripes end. I didn't like that and wrapped all my stripes. The third brake light is an especially troublesome area that I just thought Ford could have done better. I understand why they didn't get detailed with stripe installation but it bugged me. Doing all of it myself, I fixed that.

DSC00849_zps6f084f39.jpg

Took me a few days to vinyl the car, had to take the spoiler, faux gas cap, and front grills (both) to do it the way I wanted but I took my time. It actually was both fun and frustrating installing the stripes. There are a couple areas I need to re-do that probably nobody else can see, but I can so I'll fix all that when it gets a little warmer out. You should try striping the car yourself. All it takes is a little patience, and some beer!

WOW this looks awesome. Great talent.

I did a trunklid panel and tail light trim bezels on my 2010. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and get a lot of positive comments on it. The rear when stock looks naked to me.

20141212_124647_zps87293b27.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg

Edited by Cdvision