TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock Clutch Ok For Dd?

I have an '07 SGT that I bought new in September of 2007.

It's my DD and has "only" 40k miles on it. My commute isn't very long.

Recently, I've noticed that the clutch engagement point is getting farther and farther out. I called the dealer and he said it sounds like I need a new clutch. I've always taken it there for service.

I try to take it easy on the clutch and 40k on a clutch seems a little soon

My question is should I have them install the stock clutch? Or should I have them install a different one? I don't want to increase the pedal force, I like it just fine how it is now. Maybe one that won't wear as fast.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Personally if you indeed need a new one I would go for an aftermarket one. If the stock one wore out at 40K you will need another one at 80. I had a McLoed put in mine when I did the SC conversion and I didn't notice anything different in the pedal... just my .02.

McLeod dual-disk installed after the supercharger - as light or lighter than stock clutch feel. Make sure you have a reputable mechanic do the install as some have had issues with clutch drag.

As for your current clutch, is it slipping? Try passing someone in 5th gear - if you can hear the RPMs climbing, but your speed isn't, the clutch is beginning to slip. Ford says to start the car, place in high gear, then release clutch - if the engine stalls, clutch is OK, if it doesn't, clutch is bad! (Nothing like stating the obvious!)

Sam

McLeod dual-disk installed after the supercharger - as light or lighter than stock clutch feel. Make sure you have a reputable mechanic do the install as some have had issues with clutch drag.

As for your current clutch, is it slipping? Try passing someone in 5th gear - if you can hear the RPMs climbing, but your speed isn't, the clutch is beginning to slip. Ford says to start the car, place in high gear, then release clutch - if the engine stalls, clutch is OK, if it doesn't, clutch is bad! (Nothing like stating the obvious!)

Sam

Thanks. I'll try that!

Sam--

So, on the way home, yesterday, I stopped at the bottom of the hill at the beginning of our street. I put the car in 5th and let the clutch out slowly while giving it a bit of gas. It shuddered then stalled.

Does that mean the clutch is fine?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sam--

So, on the way home, yesterday, I stopped at the bottom of the hill at the beginning of our street. I put the car in 5th and let the clutch out slowly while giving it a bit of gas. It shuddered then stalled.

Yup. Clutch is fine, given its mileage.

Not sure what you expect for lifetime of a wear item, but at 40k, you got your money's worth. "If it ain't broke...blah, blah, blah".

If you are still on the OEM clutch, how about those tires? If still OEM, I suggest you undertake a critical Inspection of all wear items, check tire tread depth twice. The weight distribution on the S197 frame is 55/35 front. Under hard braking it gets tail happy. Check this out before you learn the hard way?

Sam--

Just to get back on topic - It means that it's working properly and not slipping but if the disengagement point is changing then that's indicating wear of the clutch disc. JMO

I would think that a clutch should last at least 65,000 miles +.

The stock clutch is solid. I doubt it is worn with that mileage especially if it babied. I have a Spec now, but I have launched the stocker at the drag strip probably a couple hundred times smoked it very bad once thinking I was doing a burnout. When I pulled the engine, the disc was not bad at all.

• 4 months later...

I have an Exedy stage 3. It's great in terms of performance but not so great for a DD. I would look at an Exedy stage 1. Comparable pedal feel to a stocker and little more in terms of holding capacity. Also stay with the stock flywheel or a chromoly. Aluminum sucks for the street due to its light light weight.

Archived