TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Possible New Ford G T

David Hawkins

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ford GT was shown in public at least three years ahead of its introduction. If this happens it needs to make a mockup/prototype appearance at SEMA in November.

A GT class has to be homologated (that is, a certain number of production vehicles have to be made available to the public). They would need to be showing something NOW for a '16 Le Mans run.

I hope that happens, too. With that said, if it is going to happen Ford better put a race car on the grid that can compete with the Ferrari on every level. That will be no small feat and frankly anything less than 1st place at LeMans in a Ford GT would be a let down of which Ferrari would get the last laugh. Lots on the line here.

And to be true to racing history Ford would need a year racing under its belt before returning to the podium in 2016.

It would seam more likely that Ford would introduce a GT40 inspired Daytona prototype just as Chevy did with the Corvette a few years back.

It would seam more likely that Ford would introduce a GT40 inspired Daytona prototype just as Chevy did with the Corvette a few years back.

Now THAT I would love to see!

By the way, the reference is to a "GT" class vehicle eligible for Le Mans. That doesn't necessarily mean it will resemble a Ford GT or GT40 as we know it. The GT would require substantial redesign to meet new safety requirements.

Additionally for Ford to enter against the likes of Ferrari and McLaren would take an investment that would show no return. As has been observed, Ford has already acquiesced the Corvette market. They could not capture enough of the Ferrari/McLaren/Lamborghini market to justify creating a vehicle in this class. That is my opinion.

P.S. I would love to see Ford back in the running for a LeMans win, and for them to repeat their 1-2-3 win 50 years later. I had high hopes for a couple of the Ford GT "privateers" but alas they have not been able to stay in the running.

Who knows what Ford has up it's sleeve. With the brand going world wide just recently, there may be a market for an American branded supercar in Europe. Maybe that will persuade Ford to go all out. I hear that GM is coming out with a rear engine Corvette in 2017 prices over $155, so come on Ford! Build another Supercar!

Who knows what Ford has up it's sleeve. With the brand going world wide just recently, there may be a market for an American branded supercar in Europe. Maybe that will persuade Ford to go all out. I hear that GM is coming out with a rear engine Corvette in 2017 prices over $155, so come on Ford! Build another Supercar!

I've gone over this math any number of times... Just baseline that the Ford GT in 2005 and 2006 was a 140-150K base car.

Ford has written off competing with the Corvette. All the way up to the ZR1 which is a 120K-150K car NOW.

The competition from Ferrari, Porsche and McLaren are all hypercars - supercars with electricity that price out at about $1M.

Market cannot be created or destroyed. The term is "Total Available Market" (or TAM). In segments like this you only move little piles of money around. So is there room for Ford to go into a market of 3, add 1 and figure that they will only capture a small percentage of the people? This is not a business plan I would sign up for.

Recognize that Ford has abandoned the racing presence. If they decided to get back into it and play like they did in the 60's - when a civilian Cobra cost about 6K and a civilian GT40 about 18K, and totally fund the development of a competitive vehicle in the FIA arena go for say 400K (which is the Lamborghini gas only car price range) then they might. But Enzo and Henry II aren't around any more.....

Right now Ford would compete against Audi in the GT class...

The point of Ford entering LeMans is to do more with less, right? Its to not fall into the money game too far, and above all to win on Sunday and sell on Monday.

Maybe we will see something; Ford has a new CEO and ecoboost is on top of the world right now. Personally, I can't see where this would have room to be a good business decision, especially if they try to make some money in the process by making up the molds for those cars when the number of people buying them would be so low. Ford would almost have to pull a few good wins to make people want the GT, which is not entirely impossible.

All in all I can't say I'm prepared to see a GT and I can't say that I don't want to see one. :whistling:

Regardless of what they call it it would be, as Spock says, illogical. But sometimes money trumps logic and common sense. I truly hope Ford wants this bad enough to do it. But I think I'm glad I don't own any F right now

The current Ford GT was illogical price wise...... didn't Ford lose money on each one sold and knew they would? They did it for a reason, not for a profit.

The point of Ford entering LeMans is to do more with less, right? Its to not fall into the money game too far, and above all to win on Sunday and sell on Monday.

Maybe we will see something; Ford has a new CEO and ecoboost is on top of the world right now. Personally, I can't see where this would have room to be a good business decision, especially if they try to make some money in the process by making up the molds for those cars when the number of people buying them would be so low. Ford would almost have to pull a few good wins to make people want the GT, which is not entirely impossible.

All in all I can't say I'm prepared to see a GT and I can't say that I don't want to see one. :whistling:

...........and yet, they pour money into Nascar every year.................. :spend:

:whistling:

The current Ford GT was illogical price wise...... didn't Ford lose money on each one sold and knew they would? They did it for a reason, not for a profit.

Yes, the Ford GT was the "100th anniversary halo car". Reports of profitability are somewhere around break even +-

...........and yet, they pour money into Nascar every year.................. :spend:

:whistling:

That is another part of the equation for a Le Mans return. Ford would not get a lot of credit if they just built the car and let someone else race it. To do justice they would truly have to return to 1966 with a Ford sponsored racing team. Very expensive and not something you start from scratch and expect to be high performing.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn that would be sweet the 05-06's were a hit and I'm sure the newer more powerful version would be a total monster Ford should make this happen IMO.

In an informal poll at the Ford GT Rally people generally believe there is a car, that it will look nothing like the GT40/Ford GT and that the homologated cars (about 1000 total) will cost 400-450K, and that the street cars will not be very nice to you. Similar to the Cobras and street GT40s, this car is first a race car with the intent of entering some GTx class. Also people think that Roush is heavily involved. Like me, many wonder if this is a 2016 return then why hasn't anyone seen it. Instead of SEMA if it isn't at the New York show then it is still a rumor.

• 1 month later...

Well, if they make one hopefully they will put in practical safety equipment like computerized stability and traction control systems. The lack of these is why 50% of the previous run have been wrecked. So better creature comforts would also be necessary, the previous run was pretty basic Viper type stuff.

I think it is safe to say Ford would have to put modern technology into a new Ford GT. Creature comforts... its a street legal race car. I don't see that happening, but who knows. The new Vipers are very well appointed. The bigger issue is bringing a Ford GT back to market for the main purpose of fielding one for LeMans for the 50th anniversary win. The new GT must be a competitive car with no exceptions. Otherwise it could be an embarrassment. They will have one shot to get this car right... but what a story that would make if Ford rolls out a new GT and wins LeMans. Fairytale stuff right there friends.

Well, if they make one hopefully they will put in practical safety equipment like computerized stability and traction control systems. The lack of these is why 50% of the previous run have been wrecked. So better creature comforts would also be necessary, the previous run was pretty basic Viper type stuff.

I think it is safe to say Ford would have to put modern technology into a new Ford GT. Creature comforts... its a street legal race car. I don't see that happening, but who knows. The new Vipers are very well appointed. The bigger issue is bringing a Ford GT back to market for the main purpose of fielding one for LeMans for the 50th anniversary win. The new GT must be a competitive car with no exceptions. Otherwise it could be an embarrassment. They will have one shot to get this car right... but what a story that would make if Ford rolls out a new GT and wins LeMans. Fairytale stuff right there friends.

New federal safety standards require ABS, traction control and stability control. The Ford GT was the last of the so called "analog super cars" having just ABS. I recall TCS became standard (although not mandatory) in 2006 Mustangs [recall it was on the GTH], Stability control came the next year or the year after [the Corvettes I drove at Bondurant had all three and that was 2011].

Both TCS and ESC are clever software uses of the ABS sensors plus I think a G- sensor.

Other versions of the weekly barrage of "The new Ford GT is coming [any day now]" point out almost all of the shortcomings I've noted. Mainly, it was supposed to be announced last summer, then at SEMA, then at LA, now Detroit. Ford made a HUGE splash when they announced the original FGT. No hints of such a splash. one also noted the lack of a LeMans capable race team (Nascar drivers aren't the right choice). They also mention the lack of viewing of a car that is REQUIRED to sell 100 end user vehicles before it is homologated to run in GTE class. If they are doing it, where is it? I remain skeptical but hopeful.

New federal safety standards require ABS, traction control and stability control. The Ford GT was the last of the so called "analog super cars" having just ABS. I recall TCS became standard (although not mandatory) in 2006 Mustangs [recall it was on the GTH], Stability control came the next year or the year after [the Corvettes I drove at Bondurant had all three and that was 2011].

Both TCS and ESC are clever software uses of the ABS sensors plus I think a G- sensor.

I guess maybe American cars were that far behind the Europeans. I just remember having all that stuff in the Porsches and MB AMGs I had before that time period.

Archived