TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Signed 1:18 Gt40...authentic Or Not?

Mustangcollector

Signature looks good and story seems plausible, but that's all he has. That price seems like sheer lunacy to me. Yep lots of people have Carroll's sig on many things which never had COA's etc. I have many. But without a COA or picture, all they have is a story. The diecast then is only worth the value of the diecast plus a story which may or may not be true. There are certain seller's for sure which can be trusted as they personally did have many things signed over the years like Vern E. but unless the seller is Bob Bondurant or somebody like that, it's just a story I would think.

Edited by JeffJ

To me looking at all my items that are authentic the S & L don`t look right but then again they used a thick nip sharpie .If I was looking to get a signature in a small space you would think they would have used a fine point nib. (jm/ 2cts.)

It looks OK. I can tell you that not everything Carroll signed had a COA. My two air bag covers were sent to the foundation for signature and there was no COA at that time. Also signings he did at events (e.g., the Shelby American Collection) did not have COAs (but I do have pictures of him signing my SGT model.)

When Shelby American started issuing COA's, I thought it was a great idea. In fact, I still do. Unfortunately one of the bad things from them using COA's is that people who try and sell items signed before COA's were issued, now have to contend with people questioning the authenticity of the signature. I have four items signed by Mr. Shelby and none of them have COA's. Does that bother me, no. Then again, I'm not selling them.

As for the Ford GT, since the sharpie used was a wide tip, it's hard to make out much detail in the signature. I would think it most likely is an authentic signature. But since the price is very high, I would want the seller to provide some sort of proof before I would spend that type of money.

Scott

Even though I have never personally had CS sign anything, I did purchase a cool Red/White Cobra with the Children's foundation logos and CS's sig on it, through Vern. I am not worried about not having a COA because I plan on keeping it for good. To me, its the Shelby legacy that is important and not collectability of CS products and signatures. Just my $.02

the guy is on CRACK with that price!

I have more than one 1:18 diecast with Shelby's signature on it and to me the C looks off. Without a picture proving he signed it, no way and again the dude sniffs too much exhaust at that price

I know a few people that were very close to CS and they have told me that as he got older and became tired his signature changed quit a bit. I had an airbag cover signed by him in 2010, but I later sold that one because I wanted the sig on the bottom of the AB and not the top. I received the new sig in 2012 and it was completely different.

Heck, even SAI attempted to sell an item with his sig a while back, until I told them is was an auto-pen. :)

On that note, I'd never buy a signed item without a COA and the letter/receipt that the foundation sent with it. Far too many forgeries out there.

AK.

Edited by Alcan KobRa