TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Repair Facility For Alcoa Wheels

CSX4833

I sent a damaged Alcoa to Mr. Wheels of Indy Iin Indianapolis & could not tell that any repair had been made once I got it back. They have repaired a few wheels for me over the years. The latest was a 2014 SVTPP GT500 rim that had been curbed. They fixed & repainted the rim perfectly. They are a small family operation and usually have the rim repaired in a day or two.

Edited by 08KR525

The problem with the Alcoas is they are impregnated with a silicon base, thus never will corrode. I had one of mine repaired by a mobile guy but didn't do a good job and said that the metal has a polymer in it that may be seen. It looks like a line of invisible tape is stuck in the metal but it's actually in the metal. They are a great rim and glad I bought mine back in '09 and they still look brand new except for the one rim that has a small area in the metal that the guy couldn't fix.

I sent a damaged Alcoa to Mr. Wheels of Indy Iin Indianapolis & could not tell that any repair had been made once I got it back. They have repaired a few wheels for me over the years. The latest was a 2014 SVTPP GT500 rim that had been curbed. They fixed & repainted the rim perfectly. They are a small family operation and usually have the rim repaired in a day or two.

Thanks! I will keep this name in my data base. Did you ship them the rim and how did they shop it back? Well packaged?

I talked to Alcoa earlier this year, they said the wheels cannot be repaired without refinishing completely. Any refinish would be regular clearcoat at which point you lose the benefit of their Dura-Bright coating. Alcoa says repair or refinish will look different, but even if it didn't going forward you still have risk of filigree/spiderweb corrosion with any scratches or marks. I guess if you wanted to periodically refinish it's not as big a deal... We have a local wheel repair/refinish company (that local dealers use) that won't even touch these wheels unless I'm willing to fully refinish due to the Dura-Bright coating.

If someone has a different story on the repair of Alcoas, please provide details with pics if you have them.