TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cragar Wheels For Sale On Ebay- By Shelby

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me check with Vince and see if he recalls any balancing issues. And of course if any others have had balancing issues with these Cragar wheels please speak up.

Bikeboy, have you thought about contacting Cragar to see what they have to say?

Steve

Thank you so much Steve! That's very kind of you.

I will contact them right now....good ideer.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I purchased them. Just have to decide if I will keep the staggered set up I am running now or go with the same size on all four corners. I'll post some pics once I have them on the car.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still having a steering wheel shimmy. Talked to Shelby Perf. Parts last week.....they say the wheels are lug-centric, not hub-centric.

I'm gonna take em off one more time tonight and get em rechecked. I am praying they didn't zero on the machine the first time around. If that doesn't cure the issue I will get some hub-centric rings.

Apparently none of the Gt350 owners I asked have ever had this issue? :shrug:

Why would Shelby put lug centric wheels on a performance car such as the GT350? Do they use hub centric spacers to compensate or do they simply allow the lug nuts to carry the verticle shear force until they snap or bend. I could see if they only expect street use but the GT350 is touted as a high performance car for the track.

Makes you wonder what they were thinking.

GT

OK, I have (my dilemma at least) figured out now.

Apparently the wheel balancer was out of calibration on the day I took them my new wheels and tires. They are all four out of balance. :drop:

The shimmy is gone now, after rebalancing the fronts. However, the rears need it now too. I have an overall vibration throughout the whole car left. At least I know what the dealio.....

And yes GT ^^^^^..... These wheels ARE in fact lug centric. Much cheaper to produce I suppose? :shrug:

Yet another UPDATE:

I took the car down to the Jersey shore yesterday morning and there's a vibration at 62 through the whole car, then again at 75-ish. Enuf to "shake" the steering wheel.....I can't really describe it as a shimmy now. This is really getting old. There's nothing more frustrating than driving a car that fights ya back! And it's not even on the track! :lol:

Upon further investigation on the interweb (and if its on there, it must be true :hysterical: ).... I am seeing that 62 mph is a VERY common speed in late model Mustangs for vibration. Resoundingly!!

Sooooo, the only real last thing to try, in lieu of actually having all four brand new tires replaced :drop: is to order a set of hub-centric rings. Apparently from reading some race car guys' posts, Hub-centricity is paramount. Lug nuts can only do so much to center the wheel "spot on". I have also read that wheels that are designed with lug-centricity were done so in part to save money. This is apparently a step in the manufacturing process that cuts costs? :shrug: Again....its on the web, so it MUST be true! :cool:

This saga is far from over I'm afraid. And now that I've advertised it, nobody will ever buy these rims and tires from me if I just say F**k it and put the stockers back on. :headspin:

Edit- It's a shame too, cuz I love the way they look!!!

Sounds more like a wheel balance problem. Otherwise, those with their original wheels and tires on their GT350s would have noticed and posted problems. I did have a vibration issue that came from on one wheel when the car was new and it was fine after having it rebalanced. Since then no problems at the speeds that you mention.

I called around to find a shop with a Road Force (Hunter) balancer.

Seems nice stealerships have em. Mercedes, Acura, Lexus and the like. I called one of em for a price quote on all four.

$225!

:drop:

That's absolutely ridiculous!! Forget it. I'm gonna have to live with the problem. :shrug:

Did you take off the clip from the rotor? That will throw the balance off if not removed

Good point. One stud on each rotor has a production retainer clip that should be removed.

:lurk:

:drop:

This ain't my first rodeo fellars. Yes.....no clips. Long gone.

Just teasing...not trying to be a d**khead. Thanks for the thought though, I did ask.

Archived