TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Poll: How Many Of You Are Still Driving On Your Stock Kr Tires?

Alcan KobRa

Hello,

I'm looking to pick up a set of OEM 08/09 KR tires. I have received mixed reviews on the use of these older tires. I have seen and read the information concerning older tires and their issues.

I'd like to hear from any of you who still run the original tires on yours and those of you who no longer do.

Thanks.

AK.

Still have the originals on mine, but I haven't driven it much lately. I may pull the original wheels/tires next spring & store 'em for the occasional local car show.

I picked up a spare set of KR Alcoas when the price was right, and will likely mount a set of Michelin or Continental summer tires on them to drive on.

Pulled them and running the 20" Shelby Alcoa's . I bought "Tire Rack" tire blankets to store them. I applied a commercial grade silicon to keep them from drying out. I will only use them for point shows that are close by. I have a spare set of 18" KR wheels that I will eventually put tires on or realistically sell as I don't drive mine as much as I want to.

I'm running a set on the street and have no problems doing so. Have they lost a little "stickiness", perhaps but on the street its not noticeable.

Tire air pressure is more important than tire age, up to a point. As long correct air pressure is being maintained I wouldn't have any concerns running OEM KR tires on the street.

Steve

The original tires were not junk, but really misplaced. The same basic tire was OEM on the Ford GT. Reports were they are a decent (but not great) track tire once they got warmed up. (Or a street tire if you lived in Saudi Arabia where the night time temp never gets below 95). However, a 6 or 7 year old tire is getting on the verge of being unsafe for anything but street driving. If you are a spirited driver or track your car, you should replace them (and not because they are hockey pucks but simply because of the age factor).

Here's the thing on the F1s that came on the Ford GTs: There is a guy on the Ford GT forum right now trying to sell a very low miles set. One of the mechanical keepers said they recycle about 4 or 5 sets a week because they can't give them away.

It's interesting that the replacement tire recommended for the GT500 is the Michelin Pilot Sport. It may not be a coincidence that that same tire is what is stock factory tire on the Porsche 918. (I replaced my FGT tires with Bridgestones, the rears were originally used on the Ferrari Enzo and the fronts on the Porsche Carrera GT(? - anyway it was a high performance Porsche tire)).

Mine lasted about 10k, and they were done....running Hankook Ventus Evo K12's now, 275/40-18 on all four corners, and they're great with a price point about half of the Crapyears.

I have run those Hankooks in the rain, on the track, best bang for the buck.

Unless its a no/low mileage museum piece, not sure why anyone would want the stock tires...

Thanks for all the replies guys.

To be honest, I probably would have gone with the originals, but even though I found an affordable set the shipping to Alaska was crazy expensive.

I had the EVO K12s on my 07 with the 50 Years Alcoas and they were indeed good tires so I may go with those again or try Nitto 555s.

Thanks again for all of the input.

AK.

AK, I bought my Shelby with 555's on it and I have to say that I am in love so far. Even with my mods the traction is great in the dry and decent in the rain. The other thing is that I've never once experience wheel hop on the street with these tires even though everyone complains about it horribly with the stock Goodyears. I'm not 100% convinced it's the cure, but I certainly can't complain.

20K on first set. No problems but only use as designed as summer tires. Once they warm up they work great. Looking forward to another 20K on this set.

Mine have been stored for 4 years on the original 18" wheels. I went with the 20" Alcoas and Nitto Invos. These tires don't have a lot of traction. Get a little better when they are heated up.

Archived