TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Updates And Opinions

Taking long over due staycation and I'm tinkering with the SGT.

I had purchased a Terlingua grille some time back with the intention of modifying it. Below are the results.

I also recently picked up a set of the silver 18" Alcoas from the SPP eBay store. I thought I wasn't crazy about the bright silver finish and was looking at having them refinished in a hyperblack/gunmetal going after a finish close to what I have on the GT4's the SGT currently wears. We'll, today I pulled the Alcoas out into the sun and I'm starting to dig the silver. So, the question is, should I have the wheels refinished?

post-24566-0-91666800-1410384880_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-98998800-1410384906_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-40815100-1410384920_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-84446300-1410384933_thumb.jpg

I had purchased a Terlingua grille some time back with the intention of modifying it. Below are the results.

I also recently picked up a set of the silver 18" Alcoas from the SPP eBay store. I thought I wasn't crazy about the bright silver finish and was looking at having them refinished in a hyperblack/gunmetal going after a finish close to what I have on the GT4's the SGT currently wears. We'll, today I pulled the Alcoas out into the sun and I'm starting to dig the silver. So, the question is, should I have the wheels refinished?

No. Trust me on this one. Leave them alone.

Jer

Jer, is that prior experience speaking?

You have very special wheels. They were done as part of a test program I was working on. Not many out there, only 2 or 3 sets were that color, if I remember correctly..

Jer

Thanks Jer, I assumed as much when I noticed the lack 'GT500KR' on the lip and that is why picked them up. Only wish I had waited a few more weeks. They have dropped the price from $1499 down to $899. Someone needs to jump on them at that price.

Knowing you had a part in it is reason enough to leave them be.

$1,499 was a STEAL, $899 is insanity. I hope people grab them up, the story behind them is pretty cool.

Jer

I like the wheels on the car now and I too have an 08 SGT/SC

Not a fan of the grille on the car just too shinny Silver for my taste but if you like it, cool

All other advice is good, and you might consider this, before going black: with black wheels you generate two more visual problems.

1) The center caps are invariably so contrasty with respect to the wheels, the wheels can actually sort of get lost, and be difficult to see.

2) Lug nuts. Same deal. Waste the attractiveness of the wheels in favor of the "pinstriping".

14687902532_723f9d172e_z.jpg

All other advice is good, and you might consider this, before going black: with black wheels you generate two more visual problems.

1) The center caps are invariably so contrasty with respect to the wheels, the wheels can actually sort of get lost, and be difficult to see.

2) Lug nuts. Same deal. Waste the attractiveness of the wheels in favor of the "pinstriping".

14687902532_723f9d172e_z.jpg

Would never go Black with the wheels. I was looking for a pewter/gunmetal/anthrocite in color.

Leave them as is, they will look great. That grille is sick too.

Temporary hijack,since no one asked, will those 18's clear the Baer 6 piston brakes?

Just Baerly. (LOL)

We didn't used to recommend it, since gravel or stones can get caught. It IS a tight fit. Some customers experienced issues.

Jer

Just Baerly. (LOL)

We didn't used to recommend it, since gravel or stones can get caught. It IS a tight fit. Some customers experienced issues.

Jer

Thanks.

Just Baerly. (LOL)

Jer

Yes, good to know. I may hold on to the GT4's for the track. They are a much lighter wheel anyway.

No joke, it's a tight fit with the Baers.

You have the 6 piston Báers, correct? Any spacers or fit issues? What's you confort level keeping in mind what Jer told us? I have my eye on a set.

No joke, it's a tight fit with the Baers.

I really like the look of the new wheels. I'm ok with the GT4's, but personnaly I think the sliver Alcoas look way better. That's just me though. If I didn't just drop 8k on the Kenne Belle set up and associated parts, I'd be snatching up a set of those wheels myself after seeing them on your car.

Jeff

Yes, I have the 6 pot Baers. They fit fine, although Jer was correct that if anything was picked up by the wheels, like pea gravel could be caught between the wheel and the caliper. There is maybe an eighth of an inch clearance. Any weights placed on the inside/backside face of the wheel must be as close to the backside of the face as possible to assure clearance.

The guys at my local Discount Tire allowed me into the shop while we test fit one wheel. At first they thought the wheel was hitting the caliper and would not sit flush to the rotor but I quickly figured out that the powder coat was thick enough at the hub ring that it require just a little force to sit flush; not unexpected with a powder coated wheel. We then mounted an balanced one wheel/tire to test clearance; that way if it wasn't going to work I would only be stuck with one wheel as I assume once a tire was mounted SPP would not accept a return. Once I saw all was alright I asked that they proceed. Once done I took spin around the parking lot and test left an right steering lock and found no issues.

I'm fine with the clearance for cruising, but would not use this wheel with those brakes on a track. The chances of picking up something that could be caught in the wheel are high. I'll keep my GT4s and will pick up some track only rubber and will change out for the track. Also, the Alcoa are heavy, which is not ideal on a track anyway.

I really like the look of the new wheels. I'm ok with the GT4's, but personnaly I think the sliver Alcoas look way better. That's just me though. If I didn't just drop 8k on the Kenne Belle set up and associated parts, I'd be snatching up a set of those wheels myself after seeing them on your car.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I really like the GT4's but they had to grow on me because of the color. I love the exclusivity of these new wheels but it's going to take me a bit to adjust to the new look.

On the Kenne Bell set-up; you still have the Ford Racing manifold? I may know an interested buyer.

Thanks Jeff. I really like the GT4's but they had to grow on me because of the color. I love the exclusivity of these new wheels but it's going to take me a bit to adjust to the new look.

On the Kenne Bell set-up; you still have the Ford Racing manifold? I may an interested buyer.

I do, I haven't installed the KB yet and it's driving me crazy. I have all the boxes sitting in the garage (KB 2.6L, gt500 moroso sc tank, shelby gauge pod, FRPP spark plugs) Just don't have the time at the moment to do the install with work and kids sports. Probably in the next month, might even start it this weekend since I have about two weeks till I travel again. I'll let ya know as soon as I get it off and we can work something out if your still interested.

Jeff

Completely understand the struggle between work, family, and time in the garage. My home office is littered with parts as I haven't had the time get them on the SGT. Even with taking this week off from work I haven't be able carve out much time.

Good luck with the install and keep us posted on the progress.

what are you doing with the wheels that were on the car?

Archived