TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas Guzzler Tax

Many have been concerned about a change between 2007 and 2008 amounts for the GGT. From looking at this a little more, it is apparent that as long as the engine/drivetrain has not changed from 08, the GGT will not change. The changes being implemented by the EPA only affect the label numbers (those on the car window) and do not take place except for cars made after 9/1/07. The GGT is not calculated on the car label numbers, it is based on a ratio of the existing city and highway tests. It is only the label numbers that will get an additional adjustment, and the change is only to the adjusted label numbers, not the base numbers.

Here is a bit more from the EPA website

Calculation Technique

The Gas Guzzler Tax for each vehicle is based on its combined city and highway fuel economy value. Manufacturers must follow U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) procedures to calculate the tax. The calculation uses a formula that weights fuel economy test results for city and highway driving cycles (the combined value is based on 55% city driving and 45% highway driving). Fuel economy values are calculated before sales begin for the model year. The total amount of the tax is determined later and is based on the total number of gas guzzler vehicles that were sold that year. It is assessed after production has ended for the model year and is paid by the vehicle manufacturer or importer.

EPA and manufacturers use the same test to measure vehicle fuel economy for the Gas Guzzler Tax and for new car fuel economy labels. However, the calculation procedures for tax and label purposes differ, resulting in different fuel economy values. This is because an adjustment factor is applied to the fuel economy test results for purposes of the label, but not for the tax. The adjustment is intended to help account for the differences between “real-world” and laboratory testing conditions.

EPA conducts fuel economy tests in a laboratory on a dynamometer (a device similar to a treadmill). Laboratory conditions can be different from real world conditions for such parameters as vehicle speeds, acceleration rates, driving patterns, ambient temperatures, fuel type, tire pressure, wind resistance, etc. EPA studies indicate that vehicles driven by typical drivers under typical road conditions get approximately 90 percent of the laboratory test-based city miles per gallon (mpg) value and approximately78 percent of laboratory highway mpg value. This difference is referred to as “in-use shortfall.” To account for the in-use shortfall, the city and highway mpg values listed in Fuel Economy Guide and shown on fuel economy labels are multiplied by 0.90 for the city test and 0.78 for the highway test. However, the combined city and highway fuel economy that is used to determine tax liability is not adjusted to account for in-use shortfall, so it is higher than the mpg values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide (www.fueleconomy.gov) and posted on the window stickers of new vehicles.

OK, now my mind is really gone :hysterical:

I went thru one of the really technical documents, and what is gonna happen, is that instead of using adjustments to the two current tests used for base fuel economy, the label value will take numbers from the two current tests, and calculate in three additional numbers from testing that is currently being done for emission certifications. But again, the values resulting from the five test calculations only go on the car label. The GGT law still requires the use of the original city and highway tests, and these methods will not be modified or adjusted. Thus, no change in the GGT.

John

My head hurts and it aint the helmet. No wonder we all walk around in daze when it comes to figuring out anything the government does. :wacko:

..this ain't the half of it my friend :banghead:

the EPA rules I enforce take up two full books in the CFR system, over two thousand pages with very small writing. Not to mention the literally thousands of interpretative memos and letters, and the hundreds of technical guides etc. Plus for every set of rules we finalize, there are proposals and pre proposals, as well as lengthy preambles in the final document containing the actual final rules. :headspin:

..and some folks wonder why I am counting down to retirement (5 yrs, 11 months and 30 days btw) :happy feet:

Great Information: I and many others have been very curious about this issue. Glad YOU took the time

to try and figure it out for us here !!! Thank you Thank you Thank you !!!

I have my fingers crossed that it holds true. :happy feet:

Thanks for the information that helps us out alot all we have to worry about is and increase in msrp of 1000.00 that not bad because i ordered the car with out know the msrp and options but had a contract and 10000.00 deposit down.So I ordered as soon as I could I still had to buy the car but I was a little in the blind delears are lost so it up to me to get the knowlege fo this awsome car that one day I will be driving this beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana piano:

the EPA rules I enforce take up two full books in the CFR system, over two thousand pages with very small writing. Not to mention the literally thousands of interpretative memos and letters, and the hundreds of technical guides etc. Plus for every set of rules we finalize, there are proposals and pre proposals, as well as lengthy preambles in the final document containing the actual final rules. :headspin:

..and some folks wonder why I am counting down to retirement (5 yrs, 11 months and 30 days btw) :happy feet:

KC,

So what effect is this new proposed 25% emissions compliance plan going to have on the production of our muscle cars. This is the bill that is being led by California and a number of other states forcing the EPA to take federal action on emissions reguirements...opinion?

I get about 15.8 average MPG displayed on my speedo. My driving is about 60% highway and I have 1000 miles on the car. What mileages are you guys seeing?

When I picked my car up I drove 1000mi. of highway and got 21mpg, in town driving trying to keep out of it I get 15-16mpg. Maybe I'll get better mileage with a KB if I can stay out of the throttle! :burnout:

• 1 year later...

You fail to mention that while some rules are painfully specific, some are very general. For example the "adequate isle space" between drums.

We are taught in our RCRA classes that "adequate" is open to interpretation depending on the girth of the inspector. :hysterical:

(oh great, now I've ticked off the EPA)

You fail to mention that while some rules are painfully specific, some are very general. For example the "adequate isle space" between drums.

We are taught in our RCRA classes that "adequate" is open to interpretation depending on the girth of the inspector. :hysterical:

(oh great, now I've ticked off the EPA)

..I'm already on the road in the south part of our region, a few more hours and I could be "visiting" you :hysterical:

adequate = three feet or so. You have to be able to inspect, and be able to fix/remove a leaker.

..after 30 years of doing this (yes, I was one of the charter investigators) I do not ever feel the need to get even, I just consider it motivation to do a very thorough job......

..can't see how the trend toward more and more hp can be sustained. There will be a lot of pressure on manufacturers to get the fleet mileages up, and you can't make many shelby like cars and do that.

I agree. I am surprised with the economy in the ditch, and gas prices through the roof, that they are even still building the GT500. During the last gas crisis in the 70's, Ford starting building the Mustang II. Do you think there is internal pressure at Ford to stop building high HP low mileage cars? I would have to say yes.

I find it interesting that the GT500 has a gas guzzler tax, while my wife's '08 Caddy SRX4 V8 didn't. In real world operation - and depending on how you exercise your right foot, in either one - they are virtually identical in economy. In fact, the GT does better in a 70 MPH cruise.

:kuko:

Archived