TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cover Shot

Norton

It's not Road & Track or Motor Trend, but I was honored to have my car featured on the cover of the September/October edition of Air Force Academy's "Blast" magazine...

Blast_zps4ba99135.jpg

The associated article promotes the installation's Auto Shop, where I frequently perform minor maintenance/repairs on all my vehicles.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! In response to your comments/questions...

- None of them is me, 08KR525. Both owners are just out of the camera-shot. Those are the Auto Shop staff members who work on (others') vehicles and provide advice to those of working on our own.

- I've got ~25yrs (and counting) in uniform, Cobra 6. ~14 of those are Active years and the rest are Reserve. My full-time job is as an AF Civil Servant.

- Working on it, 1 Alibi 2. I grabbed several extras copies for safe-keeping...

- Thanks, Torched10. The AF has been very good to me and my family. (My wife and I met when we were both still on Active Duty, so we're a pretty "blue" family.)

I think the picture of. "Norton" is the real Norton from Jackie Gleason show. Art Carney right?

Correct. My avatar is Art Carney as Edward Lillywhite "Ed" Norton in The Honeymooners. (IIRC, I lifted the pic from a TV Guide cover many years ago.)

Thank you for your (continued) service.

18+ yrs and counting here, we'll see how the next few years unfold. As I'm sure you know, a lot of changes on the horizon for the Air Force.

Congrats again on the cover. I may have to bend your ear on a few of your mods, you have a sweet set up.

Congratulations Norton, glad it made "The Blast" and not the "The Dodo". (LOL) Those cadet need something like that to aspire to. I use to ask all the Academy grads I'd fly with years ago what color was their Corvette when they graduated from the Zoo? They usually say silver or red, and then they'd look at me and say, "How'd you know I had a Corvette (LOL)?" By the late 70's they'd switched to Datsun/Nissan Z's or RX-7's. I'm afraid in today's spirit of political correctness and social engineering they all probably driving something like a Prius. :(

Is "The Dodo" still around in this day and age of political correctness?

I spent 36 years in AF/AFR myself and retired from the ART program couple of years ago. Man that dual retirement income is nice. ;) Thanks for your service. :salute:

Thank you for your (continued) service.

18+ yrs and counting here, we'll see how the next few years unfold. As I'm sure you know, a lot of changes on the horizon for the Air Force.

Congrats again on the cover. I may have to bend your ear on a few of your mods, you have a sweet set up.

Same to you and thanks for your kind words! I tend to over-research things before spending money on them, so feel free to drop me a PM with any questions you have about my mods. I've almost certainly got some kind of "background" on it, if nothing more than where to find the best deal on it...

Congratulations Norton, glad it made "The Blast" and not the "The Dodo". (LOL) Those cadet need something like that to aspire to. I use to ask all the Academy grads I'd fly with years ago what color was their Corvette when they graduated from the Zoo? They usually say silver or red, and then they'd look at me and say, "How'd you know I had a Corvette (LOL)?" By the late 70's they'd switched to Datsun/Nissan Z's or RX-7's. I'm afraid in today's spirit of political correctness and social engineering they all probably driving something like a Prius. :(

Is "The Dodo" still around in this day and age of political correctness?

I spent 36 years in AF/AFR myself and retired from the ART program couple of years ago. Man that dual retirement income is nice. ;) Thanks for your service. :salute:

Thanks, Bill! I haven't seen or heard anything about the Dodo in years, but there's probably still an electronic edition floating around on the Web. I know what you mean about the number of Corvettes. (As a ROTC guy, I never got that memo and am currently on my third Mustang since graduation/commissioning.) These days, there's a lot of variety in what Academy Cadets drive, but I'd say the predominant choice seems to be Camaros. Mine is, however, one of two or three Shelbys on the installation.

Thanks to you as well, and congrats on completing the dual retirement path! I'm a few years behind you on a similar one (i.e., IMA + traditional Civil Service), but I keep wondering when Congress with try to legislate it away...

Archived