TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tapping\pinging After Oil Change\getting Slightly Rear-Ended..

DatShelby

Alright, so I have a '12 GT-500 and after I got an oil-change done by Ford I also, got rear-ended, very lightly though (rear valance bar is fine, they just have to replace clips and touch up bumper)

Anyway, this noise appeared https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCE6k-TH23I

Naturally as I had never heard the tapping noise ever before, I wanted them to change the oil out so paid in full for a flush at just 300 miles, this is what the oil looked like.

Both the service advisers and oil changer I used this time were shocked, and the guy changing my oil this time said often new people mistakenly as they don't know the motor put 8 quarts inside the 5.4l, assuming all Shelbys are the same. This time we got it right, as I watched.

50qmfa.jpg

Still have the tapping noise, it appears after the car is driven and warm, never when cold, and it goes away after a minute or two. I just don't recall it ever doing this before, and it is pretty annoying. I tried to show the dealer but I was picking it up at the time and didn't have enough time to warm it up (I daily drive mine so it gets plenty warm) so we couldn't reproduce the sound with the tech. I'm hearing on other forums a lot of people saying it sounds like a header\in general exhaust leak tapping sound, could it be that or would that be constant?

If it is internal any ideas? I mean I hear it all the time, but it comes and goes like the wind, or could it just be as simple as an exhaust leak?

I could be way wrong here, but to me, it sounds electrical. Almost like a spark.

Any chance you have a loose or bad COP under one of your coil covers? Possibly looses full connection with the engine is hot?

Just a guess, but sure sounds like a spark sound to me.......

I'd like to know why does the engine oil look like that after only 300 miles? Does the car have a lot of miles on it or what? The oil and the accident have to be totally unrelated. If you send the oil for analysis that would tell you a lot, especially if it indeed has only 300 miles on it.

I just listened to your video. The "ticking" to me sounds more pronounced on the left side. I'd pick up a mechanic's stethoscope to try to isolate it further. To me anyway, it's definitely louder than a injector. GL

I'd like to know why does the engine oil look like that after only 300 miles? Does the car have a lot of miles on it or what? The oil and the accident have to be totally unrelated. If you send the oil for analysis that would tell you a lot, especially if it indeed has only 300 miles on it.

Car just hit 20k. The oil was changed out @ 19200-300 or so miles by the dealership, I even changed it out early as it was not due for a change according to the sticker until 22k. They said they put in 5w50 but that is when the noise started happening, as I can easily hear it beside a wall\car, but it goes away after 2-3 minutes. Because of that, even though they swore there was no way they could have accidentally put another oil in it, I ended up PAYING them 300 miles later to flush that oil out and let me WATCH them put in the correct 5w50. That is how I got that sample. I am sending in the oil to Blackstone it is just they are taking forever to get me a test kit.

Archived