TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake

Will Shelby specify a predetermined number of Super Snakes that they will produce like the KR, or will they just sell as many as people will buy, and let time determine that???

How long will the package be avilable for? Will there be a pre-determined end date, or will a peron be able to order a Super Snake package 3 years fom now for thier 07/08?

What about a maximum number per model year, 100 available for 2007s, and 100 for 2008s? Even if they didn't all sell, then at least we would know how limited we were talking.

We're talking about adding a package to our cars that will cost just over 60% of the MSRP of the whole car, how many people could be able and/or willing to do that, especially when you consider that doing this package all but eliminates driving this car on a regular basis due to the rarity, and collectability of the car.

I think the numbers will fall off quickly once we need to part with, or come up with the money!!!

KingCobra.

Exactly what, in your opinion, do you think the price of the SS package will be?

The price range I have been provided with is $25-27, 000.

Based on the approximate $42k MSRP, and averaging the Super Snake to $26 000 comes to just over 60%.

KingCobra.

Every thin in a WAG untill it is announced.

How's this for a WAG.

There are those among us that have a very good idea how much the SS package will cost. SAI asked their thoughts on the pricing and when "too high" was the response, cost cutting changes to the package are being considered. This would explain the delay in the pricing release and why SAI isn't calling "the list".

A couple examples that come to mind;

Fiberglass hood vs. Carbon Fiber, save $1000-1500

AR Razors vs. Alcoas, save $1000

Drilled 14" rotors all around vs. 6 Piston Baers, save $2000

How's this for a WAG.

There are those among us that have a very good idea how much the SS package will cost. SAI asked their thoughts on the pricing and when "too high" was the response, cost cutting changes to the package are being considered. This would explain the delay in the pricing release and why SAI isn't calling "the list".

A couple examples that come to mind;

Fiberglass hood vs. Carbon Fiber, save $1000-1500

AR Razors vs. Alcoas, save $1000

Drilled 14" rotors all around vs. 6 Piston Baers, save $2000

That makes sense to me. especially since Amy said last Sunday or Monday that they pricing was already set. Maybe there was too much :runaway: of this and alittle :drop: going around.

If anyone at SAI is listening it would be a great idea for the ss to have a stated amount of the maximum amount of cars to be produced considering the price because if I pay that kind of price there should be a low # of cars produced with a certain amount of certainty!!!

If anyone at SAI is listening it would be a great idea for the ss to have a stated amount of the maximum amount of cars to be produced considering the price because if I pay that kind of price there should be a low # of cars produced with a certain amount of certainty!!!

Excellent point , the final # will def affect the long term value. Sort of like a well known artist with a limited # of signed prints.

If there was originally to be 10 available but later found out that 10,000 were available the people who paid the high price for exclusivity would probably not have paid the high price if they knew that an unlimited # would be made available later on.

I would also like to know if there is any time limit for getting the SS package done ? Like two ,three of even ten years down the road.

Excellent point , the final # will def affect the long term value. Sort of like a well known artist with a limited # of signed prints.

If there was originally to be 10 available but later found out that 10,000 were available the people who paid the high price for exclusivity would probably not have paid the high price if they knew that an unlimited # would be made available later on.

I would also like to know if there is any time limit for getting the SS package done ? Like two ,three of even ten years down the road.

Now that an unofficial price of $27,995 is out I think a better question is how many people are going to be willing to spend that much. Add in shipping (two ways) and sales tax and you're in the low $30s. How long will the cars be built? Will they convert 2007s only then close them out and then begin converting 2008s? Or build Super Snakes regardless of MY until a certain number of each MY is completed? That could go on for years.

While I have no idea how many will be built, lets just say 750 per model year for a total of 1500 '07s and '08s. Do you really think 9% of all GT500 owners are going to spend $30,000.00 to upgrade their cars? Not a chance! If 3% were to buy the Super Snake you would be looking at around 500 cars total.

If you take the members of this forum that own or have GT500s ordered, I bet no more than 20-25% will actually buy the SS package. And this group is as hard core as it gets. Actually, that would be a good poll once pricing is "officially" released. I don't think over production will be a problem, price will take care of that.

Now that an unofficial price of $27,995 is out I think a better question is how many people are going to be willing to spend that much. Add in shipping (two ways) and sales tax and you're in the low $30s. How long will the cars be built? Will they convert 2007s only then close them out and then begin converting 2008s? Or build Super Snakes regardless of MY until a certain number of each MY is completed? That could go on for years.

While I have no idea how many will be built, lets just say 750 per model year for a total of 1500 '07s and '08s. Do you really think 9% of all GT500 owners are going to spend $30,000.00 to upgrade their cars? Not a chance! If 3% were to buy the Super Snake you would be looking at around 500 cars total.

If you take the members of this forum that own or have GT500s ordered, I bet no more than 20-25% will actually buy the SS package. And this group is as hard core as it gets. Actually, that would be a good poll once pricing is "officially" released. I don't think over production will be a problem, price will take care of that.

I'm curious as to where you're getting your information...rumors are not a good thing for anyone. I suggest that you cease and desist.

IMHO I think SAI with the SS has just separated the wheat from the chaff with their pricing set at $30,000 plus out the door.

Those purchasing the SS really are making an investment and I think this is true in both the short term and long term. As someone alluded to, I would be very shocked if more than 3 or 4 hundred people actually got the SS package, and it’s probably going to be closer to 200. Think about this, if all 8,000 of us agreed to upgrade to the SS, would the value of the package still be at $30,000? (Discounting the economics of scale)

There are some that bought their Shelby’s as an investment hoping to see some appreciation. I still read stories of guys having them in the garage with the plastic still on the seats with 6 miles on them. I read somewhere that one guy went out and had a key made at the dealer so that he could keep the original keys in the plastic. I think that it’s generally accepted, at least on this forum, that if our cars do appreciate, it will certainly be in future generations and not ours. Therefore, we drive our cars. Some drive more than others, but we enjoy what the car was built for. Most likely we will see some short term depreciation and then perhaps with our grandkids or great grandkids they will start to appreciate.

With that said the value of the Shelby brand should never be discounted as being an everyday brand. It has always had, and I believe it will continue to have, exclusivity, but that exclusivity has to be tempered.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the average price of the 07 GT500 exceeded $60,000 (total dollars paid divided by the number of cars sold). Figure the 100 or so that sold for $75,000-$100,000 versus all those that sold at MSRP and then add in the vast majority of those that paid $10,000 plus and it will probably be close to the $60,000 guess. This puts the car out of range for the vast majority of car buyers and it doesn’t include the $30,000 for the SS. Unfortunately for us GT500 owners, Ford is still making 8,000-10,000 cars each year for two, or now as many believe, three years. This makes the car somewhat limited, but it is still mass produced. The saving grace is the exclusivity of the Shelby brand that will keep the residual value of the car from ever bottoming out. I believe this car will always have a market and that it will, in fact, hold a relative high resale value verses the MSRP.

Those that can afford it and buy into the SS are really in a very limited group of folks. Most of those will probably never sell their SS, so when one finally does hit the market, it will command a premium price, which I believe will never be less than what the owner paid for their car plus the cost to that owner of the SS package. Think about it, in a busy year how many of these cars will actually be up for sale? (Maybe 5 or 10 and most likely less) When you put one of these cars on the real auction block, not eBay, there will be buyers ready, willing, and able to pay the reserve price.

With this said, I’m not planning on getting the SS. I am going to get the 40th, that’s what I have always wanted. I’ll get the SS performance upgrades depending on the cost.

IMHO I think SAI with the SS has just separated the wheat from the chaff with their pricing set at $30,000 plus out the door.

Those purchasing the SS really are making an investment and I think this is true in both the short term and long term. As someone alluded to, I would be very shocked if more than 3 or 4 hundred people actually got the SS package, and it’s probably going to be closer to 200. Think about this, if all 8,000 of us agreed to upgrade to the SS, would the value of the package still be at $30,000? (Discounting the economics of scale)

There are some that bought their Shelby’s as an investment hoping to see some appreciation. I still read stories of guys having them in the garage with the plastic still on the seats with 6 miles on them. I read somewhere that one guy went out and had a key made at the dealer so that he could keep the original keys in the plastic. I think that it’s generally accepted, at least on this forum, that if our cars do appreciate, it will certainly be in future generations and not ours. Therefore, we drive our cars. Some drive more than others, but we enjoy what the car was built for. Most likely we will see some short term depreciation and then perhaps with our grandkids or great grandkids they will start to appreciate.

With that said the value of the Shelby brand should never be discounted as being an everyday brand. It has always had, and I believe it will continue to have, exclusivity, but that exclusivity has to be tempered.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the average price of the 07 GT500 exceeded $60,000 (total dollars paid divided by the number of cars sold). Figure the 100 or so that sold for $75,000-$100,000 versus all those that sold at MSRP and then add in the vast majority of those that paid $10,000 plus and it will probably be close to the $60,000 guess. This puts the car out of range for the vast majority of car buyers and it doesn’t include the $30,000 for the SS. Unfortunately for us GT500 owners, Ford is still making 8,000-10,000 cars each year for two, or now as many believe, three years. This makes the car somewhat limited, but it is still mass produced. The saving grace is the exclusivity of the Shelby brand that will keep the residual value of the car from ever bottoming out. I believe this car will always have a market and that it will, in fact, hold a relative high resale value verses the MSRP.

Those that can afford it and buy into the SS are really in a very limited group of folks. Most of those will probably never sell their SS, so when one finally does hit the market, it will command a premium price, which I believe will never be less than what the owner paid for their car plus the cost to that owner of the SS package. Think about it, in a busy year how many of these cars will actually be up for sale? (Maybe 5 or 10 and most likely less) When you put one of these cars on the real auction block, not eBay, there will be buyers ready, willing, and able to pay the reserve price.

With this said, I’m not planning on getting the SS. I am going to get the 40th, that’s what I have always wanted. I’ll get the SS performance upgrades depending on the cost.

Can't argue with the logic of that. Well said, and I agree with your projections.

KingCobra.

I'm curious as to where you're getting your information...rumors are not a good thing for anyone. I suggest that you cease and desist.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. The only unconfirmed information I'm using is the price for the SS package. The rest is simply speculation on my part, as I clearly state. It is my view that the number of SS packages produced will be limited by price, not a predetemined production run.

Archived