TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So....how About Those Alcoas Coming Back?

tomshep

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of us are actually doing 200MPH? I have been over 80MPH 1 time in the 2 years I have owned my car.

I have.........................in an airplane. :hysterical:

Truth is I've been north of 160mph a few times in these GT500's and it's as spooky as hell. Don't think I'll be doing it again.

I figured I would get made fun of. It would be a different story if I did not have a vert and could go to a track. I am a very careful driver and don't feel comfortable driving at excessive speed on public roads, not because I don't trust myself it is everybody else I worry about.

Two things:

1. I promised never to make them again after announcing them as a "final run". And I meant it. I believed it was the only honorable thing to do, a no-brainer.

2. Alcoa called me when I was in charge of the 2015 Mustang wheel program (for the cars as WELL as SPP offerings), I had been working with them on some amazing NEW Shelby wheels… they announced the program was cancelled, and told me they were out of the passenger car wheel business for good. ALL passenger cars, all their OEM clients, EVERYONE. So, I doubt it will happen.

Jer

Makes sense, Alcoa is one of the biggest Aluminum Companies on the planet and a massive OEM Manufacture, the Shelby Alcoa program was probably insignificant to them.

• 5 weeks later...

For what it is worth, I was at a recent car show and was talking to a gentleman who owned a 09 GT500. He purchased a set of the knockoff Black Mambas and sent them back after the tire shop could not get 2 of the wheels balanced to his liking. He was also not too impressed with the quality of the finish. As I did not see them, I can not comment. He was looking at my Shelby Forged Alcoa's and said if I ever want to sell them to contact him first. The following for these wheels is borderline cultish. I think I got more positive comments on my wheels vs the car at the show.

Nope. Those are the knockoff version.

Scroll down, they have the genuine product listed below the BM's.

For nearly $1000 per wheel!

Phill

Phill, I believe if you look at the descriptions a little closer you'll see that all the Alcoa tire/wheel packages are out of stock. They have been for quite some time.

Oh ya, I see that now. Two of them say "Almost Sold Out" but then at the bottom says "out of stock". That's kind'a implying that they're still available (NOT "sold out"), just out of stock.

No?

Phill

^^^ DITTO

All the hate'n on these BMC wheels is just sour grapes IMHO.

I will admit, the chrome finish on my set ain't "spectacular".....but when you're on a beer budget, ya make a few compromises.

Oh and as was stated above, I get MORE compliments on my ALCLONAS than the car itself as well. :cool:

The "Black Mamba" knockoffs are a comedy show. I spoke with the original designer of these wheels at Alcoa, the guy who owns the patent, and he said "I never got these certified for structural integrity as anything less than a forged wheel. A cast version would never pass safety regulations..." That's why they have NO Department Of Transportation stamp on them. The "Black Mamba" wheels are like buying a fake Rolex on Houston St. in New York….. LOL

Jer

The "Black Mamba" knockoffs are a comedy show. I spoke with the original designer of these wheels at Alcoa, the guy who owns the patent, and he said "I never got these certified for structural integrity as anything less than a forged wheel. A cast version would never pass safety regulations..." That's why they have NO Department Of Transportation stamp on them. The "Black Mamba" wheels are like buying a fake Rolex on Houston St. in New York….. LOL

Jer

Without a DOT approval, how are they allowed to be sold? Do they use the term "For Off Road Use Only"?

When did these come out? Anyone know who is the manufacturer of these?

Wait. Are these the BMC wheels?

I just saw them today on the site, so probably was listed today or a few days ago. The center caps on the wheels is the same as the Razors and it says American Racing on the center caps.

Archived