TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So....how About Those Alcoas Coming Back?

tomshep

No, the 2015's use a larger stud and require 50% more torque on the lug nuts. I don't know if they changed the bolt pattern.

2014 - 1⁄2 x 20 100 lb.ft (135 Nm)

2015 - M14 X 1.5 150 lb.ft (204 Nm)

Not to mention that the 2015 tire clearances are a lot tighter. You won't see the same big tires you're used to anymore.

Jer

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much more can people beat this to death!!!!!!

It was not just Shelby's decision to discontinue the Alcoa forged wheels,but The Alcoa Corporation themselves pulled the plug.

If most TS members will remember well,it was Jer Gervasai who managed to put together one last final production run whilst he was then Vice President of Shelby Porformance Parts.

It was no mean feat I'm sure,and not to probably ever be repeated!!!!!

I think people can post &post & post this to death,it's unlikely to happen again!

The current value is still around the $4000 dollar range,so who knows what they will fetch in the future,time will tell!

Two things:

1. I promised never to make them again after announcing them as a "final run". And I meant it. I believed it was the only honorable thing to do, a no-brainer.

2. Alcoa called me when I was in charge of the 2015 Mustang wheel program (for the cars as WELL as SPP offerings), I had been working with them on some amazing NEW Shelby wheels… they announced the program was cancelled, and told me they were out of the passenger car wheel business for good. ALL passenger cars, all their OEM clients, EVERYONE. So, I doubt it will happen.

Jer

I rest my case!!!!!!

Not to mention that the 2015 tire clearances are a lot tighter. You won't see the same big tires you're used to anymore.

Jer

Ford's test cars have been running around with 19x10.5s (front and back), so they can wear some big shoes

AJ

^ I would agree some of the 15s that I have seen had WIDE wheels and tires. Would also assume that since Robert nor Jer still work for the company that anything is possible. For the record there are other manufacturers that can make those wheels. I would bet if enough buyers are there AJ will do something. Makes since to me anyway.

Well, it definately seems like there are those that feel these rims shouldn't come back, in any design variation. Seems like the same attitude the last time when it was supposed to be impossible for this to happen. For those of you that own them and based on your pics--don't be so negative. Try to support and spread the Alcoa-love. Don't hoard them and wish others can't share in the joy.

Jer--I appreciate your commitment to sticking to your word these aren't coming back. But, you wouldn't be the one bringing them back so your word is still good.

AJ,

Is there any possibility SA can look into bringing a variation of these to market? Either directly, or through the wheel division?

From reading old posts it seems these are hugely popular and in demand. Heck, there is a company selling an identical knock-off.

Thank you, Tom

Well, it definately seems like there are those that feel these rims shouldn't come back, in any design variation. Seems like the same attitude the last time when it was supposed to be impossible for this to happen. For those of you that own them and based on your pics--don't be so negative. Try to support and spread the Alcoa-love. Don't hoard them and wish others can't share in the joy.

Jer--I appreciate your commitment to sticking to your word these aren't coming back. But, you wouldn't be the one bringing them back so your word is still good.

AJ,

Is there any possibility SA can look into bringing a variation of these to market? Either directly, or through the wheel division?

From reading old posts it seems these are hugely popular and in demand. Heck, there is a company selling an identical knock-off.

Thank you, Tom

There are a couple of sources for the cheap knock-offs, key word "cheap". Those are Chinese made untested wheels that I would not trust my or my loved ones' life with. Those are down right dangerous.

On Shelby reintroducing that design or something similar, never say "never". But, they are in the "Shelby Vault" for now....

AJ

There are a couple of sources for the cheap knock-offs, key word "cheap". Those are Chinese made untested wheels that I would not trust my or my loved ones' life with. Those are down right dangerous.

On Shelby reintroducing that design or something similar, never say "never". But, they are in the "Shelby Vault" for now....

AJ

Is this the same vault that they kept all the exclusive KR parts in???

AJ,

Thank you, Tom

If you are referring to the Carroll Shelby Wheel Company, that wheel company has zero connection with SAI. That third party wheel company has a licensing agreement thru Carroll Shelby Licensing to use the Shelby name.

Steve

Oh boy,so much chat on the now famous Alcoas!

I don't think that everyone who already has some on their cars or who is "hoarding some" is against the idea of some re-appearing anytime in the future. I have a set of the first and original ones on my car and did buy a full set of 50th as spares when they became available.

Having have them sat in the boxes in my garage for a couple of years I decided to move them on as it seemed such a waste having them with probably never using them,so I sold them to a fellow TS member who wanted a set to put on his new 2014 GT500.

He was ecstatic on being able to get a set for his car,so that made me feel that my decision was the right one! (And yes I did sell them for the current market value,that's just the way life is nowadays!)

So now I have just bought from SPP eBay auction site a used set of the "real Supersnake " staggered set,which will go onto my car next year when I bring it back to Canada from Phoenix after our winter breaks there,so my thoughts are now,do I keep the Alcoas that are currently on my car or do I sell them.

I would probably sell them and let somebody else enjoy having them on their car and enjoy the look it gives their ride as well,I know it is something that I would be happier doing than keeping them hidden for a day that I probably will never use one or all of them!

I had a set of the 50 Years wheels on my 07, but sold them with the car. I paid $2900.00 for the set of four and now I see them going for $4500 to $8000. I loved them, but don't miss them. My KR has the factory KR wheels which seem to be available everywhere, I guess the Shelby vault was too small for those.

I'd like to see another run of the Alcoa's, but only if they're engraved with...

2008 SHELBY GT500KR CSM NUMBER 754. :)

AK.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are referring to the Carroll Shelby Wheel Company, that wheel company has zero connection with SAI. That third party wheel company has a licensing agreement thru Carroll Shelby Licensing to use the Shelby name.

Steve

So why not approach the CSWC with a licensing agreement? That way you don't tie up money in inventory. Let them make them and simply put "Shelby" on the rim like the other rims they make. They can also expand the line with an 11" wide version as well. It gets the rim out to buyers, takes the risk of inventory costs away from SAI and you still make money on the licensing.

Tom

So why not approach the CSWC with a licensing agreement? That way you don't tie up money in inventory. Let them make them and simply put "Shelby" on the rim like the other rims they make. They can also expand the line with an 11" wide version as well. It gets the rim out to buyers, takes the risk of inventory costs away from SAI and you still make money on the licensing.

Tom

I believe Alcoa holds the patent on the Alcoa Shelby wheels. There is a look a like out there but I believe the spokes are just different enough not to infringe on the patent; or Alcoa just doesn't care enough to worry about it.

Tom

Because the CSWC only imports wheels from China.

Because the CSWC only imports wheels from China.

I don't understand why that would be an issue. Most rims coming from China are the cast rims. I am not saying make them a forged rim like the current units. That is more money. Just a simple cast rim, "Shelby" on the lip at an affordable cost.

Tom

Archived