TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So....how About Those Alcoas Coming Back?

tomshep

Been reading reviews of Alcoas and how they are in such demand. It seems there were a few variations in the wording along the edge depending on when they were produced.

It seems like there is enough interest among us enthusiasts to justify a slightly revised version or simply bring the same one back.

How about it?

Tom

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that this would cause a big problem.

You cannot discontinue a product, bring it back - as the 50th for a final run - and than bring them back again.

Yes, I do love the Alocas and we sold a lot of them due to the demand. But once the decision was made to discontinue them off, it should remain that way.

You cannot discontinue a product, bring it back - as the 50th for a final run - and than bring them back again.

Yes, I do love the Alocas and we sold a lot of them due to the demand. But once the decision was made to discontinue them off, it should remain that way.

I disagree...

Everyone is entitled to change their mind. Now if a big premium was charged for them, I would totally agree with you. There wasn't so another run should be possible. NOT for a run of "Fifty Year" anniversery wheels but maybe just a 'plain jane' run or reintrouction.

JMHO,

Phill

Evening Guys//

I know I'm still **NEW Here**, But, I'll agree with only Part of this conversation.

The *50/Th-Anniversary Wheels* I can understand, But Not the regular Shelby KR's.

I guess I was Lucky when I bought my KR's from Rehagen Racing while they still had

4/Sets left. If I had procrastinated about getting them later on...I wouldn't have them Today.

If current Shelby GT500 Owners still want them, And Alcoa could still make them,Wouldn't

it be good for the Shelby Company to get them back, Guys? Maybe a Deposit on them

would guarantee they still want them, Although I'd think the guys here wouldn't play games

with saying they want them then back out... It's just my own personal opinion, And am Not

trying to cause any Hate & Discontent here.

With that said, Again I just think it could make GT500 Owners happy and put some *Denaro*

in Shelby's Bank. Thank You for your Time to Read. Have A Good Evening/ :) .

Best Regards//

Raymond

I disagree...

Everyone is entitled to change their mind. Now if a big premium was charged for them, I would totally agree with you. There wasn't so another run should be possible. NOT for a run of "Fifty Year" anniversery wheels but maybe just a 'plain jane' run or reintrouction.

JMHO,

Phill

+1 :yup:

I think they would sell all. Shelby is leaving a lot of :spend: on the table.

I posted this knowing it would cause opinions on both sides of the "do it" and "no, we said no more" camps.

I am talking about the 20" variations for this thread.

I am not sure how many variations were made, I know there was one that said "Shelby Alcoa Forged" as I recall and then the "50th Anniversary" edition.

These things are going for $4K roughly. Over time, they may come down some. I believe new from Shelby was closer to $2k or slightly less.

Black Mambs knock-offs cost about $1,500 for 20x9 and 20x10 in chrome.

Why not come out with a product that is more realistic price-wise and also puts money in Shelby's pocket? Call them "Alcoa Forged" or something similar. In other words, differentiate them slightly so the guys that bought the originals wouldn't feel ripped off. Yet get a nice quality Alcoa out there for all of the Shelby enthusiasts.

This isn't rocket science and it could easily be accomplished, if the desire is there.

Oh, and since we are discussing this why not come up with a 20x11 or 11.5. That way all of the people that already bought sets could get a widened version, which is the #1 desire with these rims anyway.

Tom

100 wheels were offered up for sale last year because they were found in stock during the move. They sold for $600.00 each to current at the time to Team Shelby members with a six set maximum. These are 20" x 9"..

Evening Guys//

I know I'm still **NEW Here**, But, I'll agree with only Part of this conversation.

The *50/Th-Anniversary Wheels* I can understand, But Not the regular Shelby KR's.

I guess I was Lucky when I bought my KR's from Rehagen Racing while they still had

4/Sets left. If I had procrastinated about getting them later on...I wouldn't have them Today.

If current Shelby GT500 Owners still want them, And Alcoa could still make them,Wouldn't

it be good for the Shelby Company to get them back, Guys? Maybe a Deposit on them

would guarantee they still want them, Although I'd think the guys here wouldn't play games

with saying they want them then back out... It's just my own personal opinion, And am Not

trying to cause any Hate & Discontent here.

With that said, Again I just think it could make GT500 Owners happy and put some *Denaro*

in Shelby's Bank. Thank You for your Time to Read. Have A Good Evening/ :) .

Best Regards//

Raymond

Advertising something as last run or found stock does not deplete the value of the item. Re-manufacturing items "after the fact" insults the integrity of the Manufacturer and investment purchaser..

I posted this knowing it would cause opinions on both sides of the "do it" and "no, we said no more" camps.

I am talking about the 20" variations for this thread.

I am not sure how many variations were made, I know there was one that said "Shelby Alcoa Forged" as I recall and then the "50th Anniversary" edition.

These things are going for $4K roughly. Over time, they may come down some. I believe new from Shelby was closer to $2k or slightly less.

Black Mambs knock-offs cost about $1,500 for 20x9 and 20x10 in chrome.

Why not come out with a product that is more realistic price-wise and also puts money in Shelby's pocket? Call them "Alcoa Forged" or something similar. In other words, differentiate them slightly so the guys that bought the originals wouldn't feel ripped off. Yet get a nice quality Alcoa out there for all of the Shelby enthusiasts.

This isn't rocket science and it could easily be accomplished, if the desire is there.

Oh, and since we are discussing this why not come up with a 20x11 or 11.5. That way all of the people that already bought sets could get a widened version, which is the #1 desire with these rims anyway.

Tom

20" x 9", 100 found rims, were sold at $600.00 dollars each to then current Team Shelby members. They were called Shelby Forged.

I disagree...

JMHO,

Phill

Once something is capped discontinued or "End of Life", it should remain that way. If you want to idle a product, that's OK.

Note that Ford never stated that the GT500 is dead nor did they have a final production ceremony.

Plus, a lot of people paid a huge premium because they understood that these would be the last of the last.

Once something is capped discontinued or "End of Life", it should remain that way. If you want to idle a product, that's OK.

Note that Ford never stated that the GT500 is dead nor did they have a final production ceremony.

Plus, a lot of people paid a huge premium because they understood that these would be the last of the last.

Robert,

I appreciate your passion on this subject.

And that is why I am suggesting to differentiate them somehow. I wouldn't want to soil the Shelby name by suggesting they build continuation rims after the production was done. That would be wrong to those that purchased the originals knowing they were the end of the production.

Instead, come up with an alternative with different wording and maybe sizes that are more desirable.

From a business standpoint, if there is money to be made, why not make it?

Build the same rim, put a different description on the perimeter, and sell them in 20x10 and 20x11.5 and watch them fly off the shelf!

Tom

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but if you want to differentiate new wheels from old ones, there's always the 19" option, if Alcoa was up for it anyways. That way they are a brand new design and they will still fit all larger brake kits. The 18's were for the KR's, the 20's were for the Super Snake's, the 19's could be for everything else. Just an idea.

How much more can people beat this to death!!!!!!

It was not just Shelby's decision to discontinue the Alcoa forged wheels,but The Alcoa Corporation themselves pulled the plug.

If most TS members will remember well,it was Jer Gervasai who managed to put together one last final production run whilst he was then Vice President of Shelby Porformance Parts.

It was no mean feat I'm sure,and not to probably ever be repeated!!!!!

I think people can post &post & post this to death,it's unlikely to happen again!

The current value is still around the $4000 dollar range,so who knows what they will fetch in the future,time will tell!

will they fit the 15 model years. Looking forward to the new rigs

No, the 2015's use a larger stud and require 50% more torque on the lug nuts. I don't know if they changed the bolt pattern.

2014 - 1⁄2 x 20 100 lb.ft (135 Nm)

2015 - M14 X 1.5 150 lb.ft (204 Nm)

I love my Alcoa's. I got in on the last run of 20" x 9's. I did buy them knowing this would be the final offering from Shelby. I would be slightly disappointed if a new edition came out. I would get over it but would then never buy again based on this promise.

Two things:

1. I promised never to make them again after announcing them as a "final run". And I meant it. I believed it was the only honorable thing to do, a no-brainer.

2. Alcoa called me when I was in charge of the 2015 Mustang wheel program (for the cars as WELL as SPP offerings), I had been working with them on some amazing NEW Shelby wheels… they announced the program was cancelled, and told me they were out of the passenger car wheel business for good. ALL passenger cars, all their OEM clients, EVERYONE. So, I doubt it will happen.

Jer

Archived