TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Motor?

Where are you located?

A lot of variables here, as in how much money do you/can you spend? How much if any of the work are you planning to do yourself?

Is a rebuild of your current motor plausible?

Others have gone with the Aluminator.

I saw your other post.....what bad news.....

I would stick with the 4.6L and maybe even beef it up if you can.....in as many ways as you can.

I always liked MywickedShelby's signature in post #11 of this thread below..... 4.6L Aluminator engine with all sorts of goodies....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/60131-tasca-shelby-gttr/

I saw your other post.....what bad news.....

I would stick with the 4.6L and maybe even beef it up if you can.....in as many ways as you can.

I always liked MywickedShelby's signature in post #11 of this thread below..... 4.6L Aluminator engine with all sorts of goodies....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/60131-tasca-shelby-gttr/

L&M Engines. Talk to Michael Rauscher.

Michael's car is a certifiable beast!!! The 4.6 is nice and light and if properly built can make LOTS of power reliably.

But you've got to weigh your options with regards to budget. Going with a different engine option is going to require changes to wiring and ECM and can get complicated

Just something to think about :shrug:

I agree with all above. I would stick to the 4.6. Otherwise you will have to do quite a bit of wiring upgrading. Stock, the 4.6 bottom end can obviously only take so much, but it doesn't take much to work those issues out with a new build of a stout bottom end. I certainly love the coyote and everything it can do, but that would be a pretty big chore to take on to make work right in your car.

Swapping a coyote engine is easy for the s197. Three people in my town have already done it. Ford makes a kit for the swap just for your car. The biggest drawback is swapping your current transmission.

Lots of performance shops offer these kits' and I'm posting a link to just one. The swap kit consists of a bracket for your powersteering pump, and the wiring/ECU you need to run it. You don't need to change the K member, the one you have now will work just fine. It would however be a good time to change it to a better one if you wanted to, and decided to go this rout.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/coyote-engine-swap.html

Also I noticed that you are in the Great Lakes area. If you stick with the 4.6, you could check out Brenspeeds B302 block, or their B326 one. The B326 is a stroked iron 4.6 block, and their B302 is a stroked alunimum one. Both are forged internally, and will take whatever you can throw at them. I have their B302, and have been real happy with it. They have worked on my car, and my Brothers Shelby GT, and we both are very satisfied with their business.

Looks like I should go with a remanufactured 4.6 long block from Ford. This will keep the costs down in relation to the wiring concerns. Looking for best bang for your buck upgrades that others have done. I think hot rod cams would be a nice place to start but should I add headers and a bigger throttle body? A tune will already be needed for the cams so I wonder . Thanks for your input.

Included a "bang for the buck" thread below. Read up on the gears....I am thinking about 4.10's....

Assume you want to stay naturally aspirated....

FRPP Hot Rod Cams are wonderful. Your car will have a new personality. Notwithstanding labor, figure about ~$700 for the cams.

Headers are awesome too but pricey. Your motor will be out, so good move to do it during this time. I did headers and cams and the results were fantastic(audibly and performance).

Not sure throttle body is worth the $$, however, the FRPP TB looks great.

A set of Kooks or American Racing will be close to $1K. And, you'll probably also want high flow cats and a new x-Pipe....so figure on $1200-$1500.

Steeda underdrive pulley kit: $250

Tuner and Tune ---- ~$500.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78987-what-would-you-add-for-the-most-bang-for-the-buck/?hl=%20frpp%20%20cams

Included a "bang for the buck" thread below. Read up on the gears....I am thinking about 4.10's....

Assume you want to stay naturally aspirated....

FRPP Hot Rod Cams are wonderful. Your car will have a new personality. Notwithstanding labor, figure about ~$700 for the cams.

Headers are awesome too but pricey. Your motor will be out, so good move to do it during this time. I did headers and cams and the results were fantastic(audibly and performance).

Not sure throttle body is worth the $$, however, the FRPP TB looks great.

A set of Kooks or American Racing will be close to $1K. And, you'll probably also want high flow cats and a new x-Pipe....so figure on $1200-$1500.

Steeda underdrive pulley kit: $250

Tuner and Tune ---- ~$500.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78987-what-would-you-add-for-the-most-bang-for-the-buck/?hl=%20frpp%20%20cams

Solid advice. I agree 100%.

Jer

Thanks stewarbc and Jer. Never thought of changing the gear ratio. I expect my estimate for the motor replacement tomorrow. Then I will know what other mods will fit the budget. First choice will be the cams as that is not a job I want to tackle. Too much can go wrong there.

Trying to get my ducks in a row before the motor gets ordered. I wonder if the cams can be installed at the factory? Will try to call Ford tomorrow if I can get home in time.

Was hoping the headers would be a direct bolt up to the existing exhaust. What gains would I see with high flow cats? Whats wrong with the current x pipe? My preference for headers are more of a cosmetic upgrade.

I'd expect both cams and headers to be an aftermarket install by a reputable speed shop in your area(dyno and tune). There might be options to have cams included through some other avenue.....but doubtful. I don't think Ford Racing directly offers a 4.6L crate motor anymore...but call them anyway.

Typically the manufacturer(Kooks and American Racing are the most common and very high quality) pairs their catted X-Pipe with High-Flow Cats. This will align with the header's collector-----which is the primary reason for requiring a new X-Pipe. Other's with more knowledge might care to comment. I always got the complete setup -- Headers, X-Pipe, High-flow cats. You'll gain sound, performance, and at least 15-25 hp from the header setup. The combination will REALLY wake-up your car too. Pair that with CAMS and it's really nice. I've done it twice and can vouch for it...

go with what YOU want! Not what someone says about 'keep it original' so use the 4.6. I say go with the engine you want to use and if were me I'd go with the 5.0 Coyote as its far superior to the 4.6 and the 4.6 has its limitations

Archived