TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baer Extreme Front Upgrade 14" To 15"

I was recently in contact with Baer and through some research I asked about the 15" Extreme rotor option for the 2013/14 GT500. I was told that a 19" wheel or larger is required for these 15" rotors and that is why this is not listed for the previous years. I have 20's on my Super Snake, I will always have 20's.............so forward I went with the 15" Extreme upgrade.

The difference between the two..........

008_zps01eff03b.jpg

The longer studs for the upgrade shown on the left (two per side)............

010_zps04f932ba.jpg

Longer stud and thicker spacer shown in the top bracket mounting hole, the shorter stud and spacer for the original 14" shown on the bottom........

003_zpsdf03abe0.jpg

The finished 15" upgrade...........(actually I still needed to connect the braided hose and bleed the caliper in this picture)..........

020_zps0b517c5a.jpg

R

What did that cost you, Robert?

Did the rotors, studs and shims come as a kit?

Phill

They were sold to me as the parts needed for the upgrade, but I don't know if there is a "upgrade kit" with all parts included.

The parts were priced to me individually and the total was $975 plus shipping, but on the invoice the parts are not listed by individual cost. The description of this upgrade on the Baer invoice is: Shelby SuperSnake Eradispeed+2.

Maybe a little more than some would be interested in spending, but these 15" rotors do fill the area inside the 20" Alcoa's a little better............plus, if I remember correctly the 2013/14 regular production GT500 has 15" front brakes..........gotta "keep up with the jones". <<Not really............my thoughts were more along the lines that "if" a 2013/14 GT500 was upgraded from the factory to 15" front rotors and it is lighter in the nose (alum. block), my heavier nosed iron block 2008 could "possibly" benefit from a little more rotor? Am I correct that Ford installed 15" front rotors on the 2013/14 on the assy. line? I think I am, but I could be wrong?

These rotors are also available as "slotted only", and 15" rears are also an option, but for now I want to see how the 15" front/14" rear Extreme set-up works. I know a 2013 owner who upgraded to the 15" Extremes all the way around with the slotted rotors, he says it is a little bit "grabby" on the street, but works Great on the road course.

R

• 3 weeks later...

Feedback so far??

Pics mounted?? Maybe before and after??

Actually I properly bedded the pads this past weekend per the Baer bedding instructions and the next day drove the car to a car show. The 15" fronts seem to work very well with the 14" rears. For a nose heavy GT500, my car stops amazingly well.

I am going to have to see what I have in "before pictures". I know I have the 14" rear Baer Extreme pictures after I installed them, but not sure if I ever took pictures of the Shelby installed 14" fronts?

R

I'd like to see a pic of them with the wheels mounted on them too Robert when you get a chance. Thanks & they look great.

I did find a "before" picture shown below (1st)..........

Picturedownload5-2-09027-2.jpg

^^^That side of the car is against the garage wall, so I just snapped a picture of the drivers side for a comparison.

It is only a 1" overall diameter difference but it does fill the area between the rotor/caliper and the inside of the 20" Alcoa just a little bit more.............

004_zps22f0a775.jpg

Comparing between the two 14" before and 15" after, the difference is noticeable. ^^^^Especially notice the spacing between the caliper and the inside of the 20" Alcoa.........I did not realize that the 14" brakes looked so small inside the 20" Alcoa!

R

I went out an measured the distance between the caliper with the 15" Baer Extreme rotor upgrade and my 20" Alcoa, I have less than 1.25" clearance as shown below, I don't see how the 15" rotor upgrade would fit in a 2" smaller (18" Alcoa) if the inside area of the wheel is also 2" smaller??

001_zpsa591fbc0.jpg

I could see where the 14" Baer Extreme's would fit an 18" Alcoa, but not the 15" Baer's? Maybe I am wrong?

R

I could see where the 14" Baer Extreme's would fit an 18" Alcoa, but not the 15" Baer's? Maybe I am wrong?

R

No, they wouldn't fit. My Baers had to be *slightly* modified to fit the rear 18" Alcoa KR wheels. The two studs that hold the caliper on were about 1/16" too long and i had to trim them down to allow the wheel to spin.

NO WAY anything larger would fit in there.

Phill

No, they wouldn't fit. My Baers had to be *slightly* modified to fit the rear 18" Alcoa KR wheels. The two studs that hold the caliper on were about 1/16" too long and i had to trim them down to allow the wheel to spin.

NO WAY anything larger would fit in there.

Phill

Ok, so the GT500KR with original 18" wheels shown in post #11 has the 14" Baer Extremes like I removed from my car to install the 15" Baer Extreme upgrade?

Those 14" Baer's do look Very Good behind the 18" KR Alcoa's and fill the space well.

R

Ok, so the GT500KR with original 18" wheels shown in post #11 has the 14" Baer Extremes like I removed from my car to install the 15" Baer Extreme upgrade?

Yes. Again, NO way anything larger would fit inside of a 18" KR Alcoa. I trimmed my studs off to be flush with the outside surface of the 12 pt. nut and that gave me *just* enough clearance to allow the wheel to turn.

Phill

Yes. Again, NO way anything larger would fit inside of a 18" KR Alcoa. I trimmed my studs off to be flush with the outside surface of the 12 pt. nut and that gave me *just* enough clearance to allow the wheel to turn.

Phill

Luckily you did not have to shim the caliper out for rotor clearance. The original 14" Extremes that came on the front of my Super Snake had the thick caliper spacer on each stud, but also a thinner shim/washer on each of the four studs. I questioned the use of these shims since none were provided with the 15" upgrade and I was told that sometimes they are needed, sometimes not, in conjunction with the caliper spacers.

R

• 1 month later...

Robert, do I understand correctly that you upgraded your 14 inch system to 15 inch on your 07-08 Supersnake? You will get the new rotors, longer studs and spacers for the brackets? I have the 14 inch set and maybe like to upgrade.

Yes, 14" to 15" Extreme upgrade on my 2008, and yes all of the parts you listed.

You will also have the option of drilled and slotted, or slotted only on the rotors. I chose drilled and slotted because I am not sure if/when I will upgrade the rear to 15" and I wanted the fronts to match the rears if I do not upgrade the rears.

R

• 3 months later...

Robert, I can't seem to find a 15" rotor available for the rear of the GT500 from Baer. Are the front ones the same as the rear and wouldn't an adapter be needed to space the caliper out an additional inch?

Robert, I can't seem to find a 15" rotor available for the rear of the GT500 from Baer. Are the front ones the same as the rear and wouldn't an adapter be needed to space the caliper out an additional inch?

The rear rotors will be different, or at least the hat will be, for the e-brake function. It would require the rear calipers to be spaced out like the front. Talk to the person who I told you about at Baer. One thing I can say, the only 15" rear set up that I have heard installed was for the Extreme 6S calipers. I don't know that Baer makes a 15" upgrade for the Eradispeeds which would only be a rotor upgrade with the bracket to move the oem caliper out.

R

Archived