TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm Interested In This Ford Racing Tvs For Sale

UKGT500

This is the ad:

Ford Racing TVS Supercharger 605HP USED less than 1,000 miles. Complete with TVS blower, Ford Racing CAI, Ford Racing Tuner, throttle body and inlet elbow. Fits 2007-2010 GT500. $2,000.

It's advertised as 605hp. I haven't dyno'd my current setup yet but hopefully that should be the best part of 600hp:

JLT 123mm intake, 2.6" metco pulley and idler, Brenspeed 91 Octane tune on an SCT tuner, TR6 plugs.

What do you guys advise? get this Ford Racing kit and install the complete package?

On my other post about making "2013 GT500 power" I was advised to get a TVS from a 2013 and use my 123mm intake.

Seems like my options would be:

1) use the complete Ford Racing setup here (I'd be careful and drive it gently to a dyno to get it checked out to make sure the tune is right...)

2) use the Ford Racing TVS and my existing JLT 123mm intake and get a tune from Brenspeed/John Lund/VMP.

Biggest advantage I can see of installing the Ford Racing kit is I could sell my existing setup (complete with tune and pulley already installed) as a package to another GT500 owner.

Thanks folks.

On the '07-'09 GT500's the FRPP TVS was only listed as 605HP. When they offered them for the 2010's they were 650HP (if memory serves me, might'a been *slightly* lower but I know it was more than the early 605HP). I *think* there was a smaller pulley used on the 2010 kit vs the '07-'09 kit and without question a different tune (2010 uses Knock Sensor (KS) Technology/Logic).

There is a difference reported between the '13 & '14 TVS's and the FRPP 2.3L TVS's with one notable being the size of the inlet throat and/or elbow so you probably can't reach the same HP level with a FRPP TVS vs a SVT TVS. However, there are a couple of notable porters out there that can get you more than even the SVT or VMP ported TVS's (actually, I'm not *positive* about the VMP).

You didn't note the price you're looking at paying for the FRPP TVS and IMHO, that would be a determining factor in MY decision, not sure about yours.

As far as the pulley difference between the early and late FRPP TVS, there are at least a couple of vendors out there that sell or market different size pulleys with VMP being one of them (google is your friend).

Having said all that, I'm not too sure I answered any of your questions or not. There are others here *much* more knowledgeable than I. The only thing I advise against is taking advice from someone who sells one over another or for that matters, sells them. I don't care who it is, you're going to get some sales spin if they are in line to financially gain from a sale of one or the other. Even if they sell both, their margin on one will be higher than the other so they're going to try and sell you that one.

I'm not saying to completely ignore them, just take what they say with a grain of salt and double check their information from a unbiased source.

HTH,

Phill

Thanks Phil. I wondered why they didn't claim more hp...I'm not sure I'd trust anyone over here (UK) to port a TVS successfully.

May be best to hold out for a 2013 GT500 take off like the one I just missed the other day...!

Malc

The price seems a bit high to me considering what you are getting (at least in North America), but some of the stuff will make good power.

The FRPP blower is good, as is the FRPP CAI if it is the 113mm model.

Better off to use a VMP high flow elbow though, and have someone port match/blend the blower intake to that.

For the pulley use the VMP 2.5" universal fit one, and while you are at it get the tune and an SCT tuner from them as well.

Jumping up to a larger TB will help too, I am running an L&M dual 72mm myself but have heard pretty good things about the dual 67mm.

The combo listed above dynoed 624 rwhp and 645 rwtq on my car with full stock exhaust, well beyond the 605 crank hp mentioned.

And that was on a mustang dyno (at 780ft), which is more conservative than most and appears to be right on according to strip mph I have been getting.

At those power levels and even slightly above, there is no advantage to running the larger 123 or 127mm CAI other than looks.

Not sure if they would be willing to part out some of the stuff or not, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Saw one of the VMP Gen 2 800HP kits on a local GT500 last week, it really has me thinking now :)

This is the ad:

Ford Racing TVS Supercharger 605HP USED less than 1,000 miles. Complete with TVS blower, Ford Racing CAI, Ford Racing Tuner, throttle body and inlet elbow. Fits 2007-2010 GT500. $2,000.

It's advertised as 605hp. I haven't dyno'd my current setup yet but hopefully that should be the best part of 600hp:

JLT 123mm intake, 2.6" metco pulley and idler, Brenspeed 91 Octane tune on an SCT tuner, TR6 plugs.

What do you guys advise? get this Ford Racing kit and install the complete package?

On my other post about making "2013 GT500 power" I was advised to get a TVS from a 2013 and use my 123mm intake.

Seems like my options would be:

1) use the complete Ford Racing setup here (I'd be careful and drive it gently to a dyno to get it checked out to make sure the tune is right...)

2) use the Ford Racing TVS and my existing JLT 123mm intake and get a tune from Brenspeed/John Lund/VMP.

Biggest advantage I can see of installing the Ford Racing kit is I could sell my existing setup (complete with tune and pulley already installed) as a package to another GT500 owner.

Thanks folks.

The 605 horse FRPP kit was the entry level for the earlier Super Snakes and then it went to 630hp and then 660. Now the entry level for the 2013/14 Super Snake is the oem 662hp.

If I were looking into this, I would hold out for a 2013/14 oem take-off and build around that.................Just my opinion.........

R

The FRPP TVS came with a 3" pulley I believe. The '13/'14 TVS pulley is 2.7" I run a FRPP TVS along with an L&M high flow elbow along with their 66mm tb. I ported and polished the blower to the elbow to maximize airflow. Jim Larocca tuned the car and I couldn't be happier. While I've not had the car on a dyno, I know others that are running the same setup and they are in the 700 h.p. range. If you don't want to go to the trouble of changing the elbow and matching it up then a takeoff '13/'14 is the way to go if your on a budget. There are a lot of guys with TVS's for sale since VMP's Gen 2 has come out. It's all in what you want to spend. GL

Thanks folks. As ever this is THE place to come for expert information. Frankly the 2013 takeoff I just missed was less money anyway.

I am wondering why the 2007 Super Snake setup for sale only has 1000 miles.

Really with my current setup I should probably be getting on a dyno asap as I may have those numbers already.

I think with the stock blower though I'm using a lot more rpm to get power than if I had a TVS though it sure sounds good...

Malc

I have the FRPP TVS kit with 113mm CAI on my car. I ran the FRPP tune for awhile, until I decided to "upgrade" with a Jon Lund tune. The tune did make a noticeable difference. Like you, I had the "cheap" CAI, pulley, tune combo that everyone did when these cars were new. However, there are benefits to going with the TVS, which mainly include efficiency. That efficiency translates into cooler air-intake temperatures than the roots with pulley option, by as much as 50 degrees difference. Second, I also upgraded my heat-exchanger and reservoir, which is even more effective with the more efficient TVS. More efficiency translates into cooler operating temperatures, which translates into more consistent power and less overall stress on the engine.

Personally, I believe the FRPP TVS is more "period correct" for our cars, rather than a retro-fit with the 2013 SVT TVS. I have one of the later generation FRPP TVS superchargers, which has a slightly different front casing than the earlier versions. I don't know if this is true of the early generation, but the ports on mine (OEM elbow to supercharger) matched perfectly. There was no difference in diameter or edges that didn't line up. Lastly, I also don't know if this is true (or really care that much), but I've read that the 605hp rating is rear-wheel power...

"Of course, we had to check out some before-and-after dyno numbers to see what the TVS did in terms of a power increase. In bone-stock trim, LaRocca's Shelby recorded 444 rwhp and 438 rwtq, which, considering the 500 flywheel horsepower rating from the factory, is quite respectable. After we swapped on the TVS, we strapped the snake to the dyno, ran it up to operating temperature, and flat-footed the accelerator. At 6,200 rpm, we cut off the dyno pull and waited for the computer to spit out the figures. Not that we were surprised, but Ford's advertised power figure of 605 was right on the money, as LaRocca's ride ripped off a rear-wheel power number of 605, with torque at a thundering 578 lb-ft. That's an increase of 161 rwhp and 133 lb-ft of torque. Not too shabby!"

Read more: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-0810-shelby-mustang-gt500-eaton-supercharger/supercharger-install.html#ixzz39cxsS2E5

Personally, I believe the FRPP TVS is more "period correct" for our cars, rather than a retro-fit with the 2013 SVT TVS.

That's a good point. If this kit is from a 2007 Super Snake (I actually thought the SS was announced 2008 but I guess you can have the factory convert a 2007...)

Mmmmm, seller hasn't come back to me yet anyway about the price for one thing. They (Bangastang if I can name names) post on a UK S197 site but if it's $2000 plus shipping and duty that makes it a lot closer to $3k...

Malc

That's a good point. If this kit is from a 2007 Super Snake (I actually thought the SS was announced 2008 but I guess you can have the factory convert a 2007...)

Mmmmm, seller hasn't come back to me yet anyway about the price for one thing. They (Bangastang if I can name names) post on a UK S197 site but if it's $2000 plus shipping and duty that makes it a lot closer to $3k...

Malc

I agree with that also................if you are looking for a set-up that is a upgrade and would have been "from the 2007-2009 time period" that 605 horse FRPP would be the one for that.

The first Super Snake (Gary Patterson's Red car) appeared in 2007 and was/is a 2007. I believe it was Amy Bolin's Grabber Orange that was a 2008. Gary's Red car was a 725 with the KB S/C and Amy's, if I remember correctly, was a 605. Her car sold a couple of years ago for $125K and Gary's Red car is in the museum. I would have to dig out my documentation to verify that Gary's Red car was an 07, and Amy's was an 08, but I am pretty sure that this is correct.

R

I too prefer the looks of the FRPP TVS over the oem '13/'14 TVS case. Specifically the earlier style Australian manufactured ones in that they had extra ribbing incorporated along the blower's snout. Those blower's really look good when they're polished.

I'll probably get killed for saying this nut if I get a 13/14 TVS I'd have to grind that "5.8" off. Only because my car isn't a 5.8.

Plus a bit of black or blue paint would liven up the looks a bit...

Malc

• 1 month later...

I don't blame you for grinding off the 5.8. Just do a search on the web. They can be made a whole lot better looking than the stock finish. Let us know what route you go.

I bought a Trinity blower off a 2013. I agree that the look isn't great and I don't like the 5.8 but for $1,300 off Ebay I couldn't pass it up. The Power with a VMP tune is great. I just keep the hood closed LOL!

I'll probably get killed for saying this nut if I get a 13/14 TVS I'd have to grind that "5.8" off. Only because my car isn't a 5.8.

Plus a bit of black or blue paint would liven up the looks a bit...

Malc

Plenty of people have done the same. Show us how yours turns out.

• 2 months later...

What sensors are not included or required for the 13 TVS to run on a 07? TB's, I have read are all the same throughout (07-14) as well as TBS, are there different O2 sensors? Since the 07 do not have knock sensors I am not understanding the statement in all 13 TVS ads, "additional sensors not included"? I understand from all I have read that these are more or less plug and play and that the tune is what is required and makes a difference based upon previous mods.

Archived