TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rust On Hood Underside Seam

I'm the original owner of my '07 SGT, so it's always been my DD around the San Francisco bay area. Always garaged.

I was wiping down the front, underside of the hood. I noticed there were 2 areas that look like rust bubbles. They are about an inch long. They are next to the front seam.

Since the hood is part aluminum hood, part fiber glass, that really struck me as odd. It looks like steel rust bubbles.

Does anyone else have these? If so, what's the fix?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_03831.jpg

IMG_03821.jpg

Here is a thread from GT500.com that speaks to this issue. It is a common problem that results from contamination of the aluminum hood at the factory before they are painted. My 2012 has some small bubbles that have not changed much since I bought the car new. As you will see from the thread I posted that I looked at every late model car at a Mustang show in Sarasota FL a while back. Lots of them had the problem to varying degrees. A repaint is really the only fix and you run a risk doing that. Aluminum requires special processes to paint and if the shop does not know what they are doing you may end up with the same problem all over again.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-18417.html

Here is the TSB. It covers your car: http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/s197_TSBs/06-25-15.pdf

+1 ... hopefully your dealership will help you out with this.

I think the car is way out of warranty though. It's a 2007. So you have an explanation and a solution, but it's probably going to be out of pocket. You might be lucky if you have a really understanding GM that you bought the car from and can show them the track record, but it would be a gift and not an expectation. If he covers it be sure to buy your next car there.

I think the car is way out of warranty though. It's a 2007. So you have an explanation and a solution, but it's probably going to be out of pocket. You might be lucky if you have a really understanding GM that you bought the car from and can show them the track record, but it would be a gift and not an expectation. If he covers it be sure to buy your next car there.

Yeah. Unfortunately, they went belly up a few years ago.

Archived