TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Couldn't Pass This '67 Up….

I am not normally into impulse buying, but when I helped judge this '67 at an MCA regional early this year, I fell in love at first sight. I left the guy my card and said to contact me if he ever wanted to sell. He did and I did, and now I have it home. Very unique car, GT convertible, S code (390 CI 4V), 4 speed, Brittany Blue with Parchment interior, and A/C that works. It is a blast to drive too.

post-39072-0-04588000-1407000836_thumb.jpg

post-39072-0-16766200-1407000865_thumb.jpg

post-39072-0-42998600-1407000885_thumb.jpg

I am not normally into impulse buying, but when I helped judge this '67 at an MCA regional early this year, I fell in love at first sight. I left the guy my card and said to contact me if he ever wanted to sell. He did and I did, and now I have it home. Very unique car, GT convertible, S code (390 CI 4V), 4 speed, Brittany Blue with Parchment interior, and A/C that works. It is a blast to drive too.

I'm curious, what is something like that worth? The only reason I ask is because my next door neighbor has a car that is almost identical to that one but his is a dark green color. Yours is SUPER clean compared to his. His isn't a wreck but it's not nearly as pristine as yours is. Most of the problem is he's used cheap 'resto' parts on it (front fenders, interior seat covers, rag top, etc.).

390, 4-spd. convertable with black interior. He *claims* it's worth some crazy amount (I've heard him give numbers between $45K and $75K). He has a junkyard 302 in it now but claims he has the original 390 stored in the garage in his parents house.

I'm skeptical because he likes to sling bullshit all over the place.

I'm sure a 390 car is going to be worth some money and more so because it's a 'vert but his is pretty rough and I just can't see a $45K price tag on it. He claims he had it appraised at $45K for insurance purposes but it looks more like about a $7500 car to me. Well, at least before he started restoring it, which he says it is in the process of right now.

Just curious,

Phill

I'm curious, what is something like that worth? The only reason I ask is because my next door neighbor has a car that is almost identical to that one but his is a dark green color. Yours is SUPER clean compared to his. His isn't a wreck but it's not nearly as pristine as yours is. Most of the problem is he's used cheap 'resto' parts on it (front fenders, interior seat covers, rag top, etc.).

390, 4-spd. convertable with black interior. He *claims* it's worth some crazy amount (I've heard him give numbers between $45K and $75K). He has a junkyard 302 in it now but claims he has the original 390 stored in the garage in his parents house.

I'm skeptical because he likes to sling bullshit all over the place.

I'm sure a 390 car is going to be worth some money and more so because it's a 'vert but his is pretty rough and I just can't see a $45K price tag on it. He claims he had it appraised at $45K for insurance purposes but it looks more like about a $7500 car to me. Well, at least before he started restoring it, which he says it is in the process of right now.

Just curious,

Phill

According to the Hagerty and some other classic car valuation tools, the price range for my car is in the $60-$70K range, as a #1, which is what I paid and where it was appraised. This car has just been completely rotisserie restored from the ground up. It is a dry Arizona car since the late '70s, and the previous owner has had it since 1981, it has the original drivetrain, and the restoration was done with mostly correct parts back to as delivered standards, some details are missing I am working on, like paint over-sprays, some finishes on nuts/bolts/clamps, incorrect distributor (though date code correct), etc.

I too would be skeptical of the car you describe for $45K. With all those incorrect and cheap parts, getting it to concours level, for say MCA judging, would be expensive. It sounds like a driver, maybe a #3 car, so maybe about 25K with the 390 back in it. IMO.

According to the Hagerty and some other classic car valuation tools, the price range for my car is in the $60-$70K range, as a #1, which is what I paid and where it was appraised. This car has just been completely rotisserie restored from the ground up. It is a dry Arizona car since the late '70s, and the previous owner has had it since 1981, it has the original drivetrain, and the restoration was done with mostly correct parts back to as delivered standards, some details are missing I am working on, like paint over-sprays, some finishes on nuts/bolts/clamps, incorrect distributor (though date code correct), etc.

I too would be skeptical of the car you describe for $45K. With all those incorrect and cheap parts, getting it to concours level, for say MCA judging, would be expensive. It sounds like a driver, maybe a #3 car, so maybe about 25K with the 390 back in it. IMO.

Sounds like a good assessment. From the description, I would say there is easily $40K of work to make it near as nice as the one Mike just bought. If the matching motor is really there and buildable, by the time you build that and make the car right with a full restoration, I imagine that my $40K number is actually really light. You are probably correct that this is probably more of a $10K car than a $45K car. All depends on how nice the base builder is. If it is absolutely 100% rust free to start with, it still sounds like it would be a stretch to get to a $20K car, assuming all correct parts are available. As a for example, that aircleaner you see in the above picture is a very rare part. I was dating a girl with a very similar S code vert other than her's was a GTA in red. She was missing the correct aircleaner and chrome cover. I found one for her and it cost me $1K just to get the aircleaner. (P.S., that was not money well spent! :hysterical::doh: )

Mike,

Congrats on the purchase. That is one of the greats for sure and looks beautiful.

Very nice!

Brittany Blue, S-code, 4 speed and a drop top....quadruple win!!

Congrats MJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived