TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bank Warranty Question

Tommy Hodge

Possible newb question here....

I have a 2008 GT500, and I purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty from the bank when I got the car. I have heard that a bank warranty can be a little bit more lenient with coverage even after modifications. I know that the Ford warranty can be pretty strict, looking at the electronic fingerprint to see mods, etc.

Was just curious what some of you have gone through in terms of modifications, still keeping the warranty in tact. I know it will also likely depend on what shop I take it to.

Thanks in advance.

Possible newb question here....

I have a 2008 GT500, and I purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty from the bank when I got the car. I have heard that a bank warranty can be a little bit more lenient with coverage even after modifications. I know that the Ford warranty can be pretty strict, looking at the electronic fingerprint to see mods, etc.

Was just curious what some of you have gone through in terms of modifications, still keeping the warranty in tact. I know it will also likely depend on what shop I take it to.

Thanks in advance.

Actually it usually the complete opposite. Third party extended warranties have a poor track record of paying claims or even staying in business. Also third part warranties require you to pay for the repair and then file a claim for reimbursement.

In my experience a Ford warranty would be more lenient of mods as the dealer has an incentive to make you happy so that you'll purchase other cars from them. What incentive does the banks customer service rep in India have other than to keep payouts down and get you off the phone?

Steve

Actually it usually the complete opposite. Third party extended warranties have a poor track record of paying claims or even staying in business. Also third part warranties require you to pay for the repair and then file a claim for reimbursement.

In my experience a Ford warranty would be more lenient of mods as the dealer has an incentive to make you happy so that you'll purchase other cars from them. What incentive does the banks customer service rep in India have other than to keep payouts down and get you off the phone?

Steve

Well, since I did not purchase the car new I did not really have any other option. To be honest the bank warranty has worked well so far, but its only been for minor things.

I have bought many Cars used that still had a Factory Warranty and I bought the extended Warranty for a couple of them (not sure why, I rarely keep a Car longer than 12 Months) and it Piggybacked the existing Warranty and wouldn't be used until the Factory Warranty ended.

Well, since I did not purchase the car new I did not really have any other option. To be honest the bank warranty has worked well so far, but its only been for minor things.

Unless things have changed, the Ford ESP extended warranty is available for used cars as long as the car is still under the factory warranty but seeing that you bought a 2008 model the Ford ESP warranty would not have been available to you.

The good news is that these cars are solidly built so lets hope all will remain good.

Steve

Steve is correct in all statements. I have gotten better coverage from a Ford E.W. program through a local dealer than from independents over the years. And that included used Fords. The rates vary as to vehicle and age, but still worth it, especially for any possible, but probable, driveline or Sync failure. There is usually a $100 deductible that you must cover. Plus, the warranty is covered at all Ford dealers whereas third party policies may be through a designated repair shop in your area not a Ford dealer service center. And the shop may or may not be Ford certified.

Don

Archived