TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keep Shelby Gt Or Sell For Cobra Replica?

ksconekiller

Guest markham51

A Cobra is an amazing car. It is not a long distance driver but as much fun as you can have when you want to go for a top down drive! The smell of a Holley carb, the sound of an old school engine and the lines of a real British sports car...nothing like it from my perspective. Make sure you have a great place to store it and a good engine mechanic if you buy an older style engine.

and a good engine mechanic if you buy an older style engine.

Why a mechanic? Anyone thinking of buying a Cobra probably went to school in the 60's and 70's and took shop. Peter Brock said this morning "and if anything goes wrong with it (the engine) all the parts you need can be gotten at auto zone".

+1000

As an owner of a Cobra I can say this is absolutely correct. You'll give up every creature comfort you currently enjoy and be sitting behind the wheel of a car that will try to kill you multiple times at some point. With that said, no car has ever taught me car control as much as the Cobra.

I didn't realize you also owned a Cobra. I'm *real* close to plunking down $55K on that ERA 427SC you commented on.

Give me your honest opinion. Worth it or not? It's VERY clean and well built.

Reading all the negatives in the other thread that the guy wants to give up his SGT for a Cobra. None of it deters me, I'm old school hot rodder, built more hot rods than I can count, build big inch motors for fun.

Have two Harley's so the motorcycle analogy rings truth to me. Not a bother.

Phill

Why a mechanic? Anyone thinking of buying a Cobra probably went to school in the 60's and 70's and took shop. Peter Brock said this morning "and if anything goes wrong with it (the engine) all the parts you need can be gotten at auto zone".

How about you? What's your take on that ERA 427SC Cobra I'm about to buy? It sure looks nice to me (see my prior post to ViperNC).

I'm real close to sending Troy a deposit as per his request. Just trying to get a little reasearch in before I do. I've looked at the ERA offers on Club Cobra and he seems to be right in line with them (price wise).

Thanks,

Phill

I didn't realize you also owned a Cobra. I'm *real* close to plunking down $55K on that ERA 427SC you commented on.

Give me your honest opinion. Worth it or not? It's VERY clean and well built.

Reading all the negatives in the other thread that the guy wants to give up his SGT for a Cobra. None of it deters me, I'm old school hot rodder, built more hot rods than I can count, build big inch motors for fun.

Have two Harley's so the motorcycle analogy rings truth to me. Not a bother.

Phill

Morning Phill,

I strongly think you should get the ERA car. Of all the replica companies, the make one of the finest Cobra's you can get your hands on and that one is rare in the fact it has IRS. You could track that car in a heartbeat and it would do well. With your skills in turning wrenches, the maintenance won't be an issue. In addition, I doubt that motor will cause much issue at all. Now for the warning (again):

A Cobra WILL bite you. It is just a matter of time. This is why I recommended that you find a very wide open space like an abandoned air strip or something so you can go out and purposely make some mistakes over and over again. This will help you get used to how the car reacts to driver input. The big motor cars have a tendency to get squirrelly without warning and you've seen the you tube videos of guys putting a Cobra into a tailspin without warning. The last thing you want to do is wad that beautiful thing up. If you want it as a cruiser, it can be docile provided you don't suddenly put your foot in it.

So I hope you buy the car and enjoy every moment. The only thing that Cobra lacks is a Meatball with your favorite number!

Having built a CSX Cobra in the mid 2000's (w/a Shelby block 427); all sound advice in this thread.

You will have to work on the car and I spent more time under it than in it (reason I sold it).

For me it was like owning a boat; very happy the day I put the deposit down and very happy the day I sold it.

This being said I ALWAYS wanted a *real Shelby Cobra and have now checked that box.

Good idea to join your local Cobra club and hit a couple of shows this summer>ask a lot of questions.

As indicated in many posts, it is a very different experience than a Shelby GT's.

Good luck as a lot of the fun is in the hunt.

*debated to death on several car sites.

How about you? What's your take on that ERA 427SC Cobra I'm about to buy? It sure looks nice to me (see my prior post to ViperNC).

I'm real close to sending Troy a deposit as per his request. Just trying to get a little reasearch in before I do. I've looked at the ERA offers on Club Cobra and he seems to be right in line with them (price wise).

Thanks,

Phill

You really need to get a pre purchase inspection done if you aren't able to go see it yourself. In fact an air fare would be good money spent. You really need to see that you will fit in the car. First you don't get in one you wear it. It's a snug fit and the seats csn be too high (steering wheel hits lap) and can also have restricted forward / backward movement meaning if you have long legs you will have trouble with pedals.

And I can't say it too often that this not the best place to ask for cobra advice. You need to go to the cobra forum and read there. There may even be references to your car

That said they are all the fun you can legally have while sitting in a seat with your clothes on

Having built a CSX Cobra in the mid 2000's (w/a Shelby block 427); all sound advice in this thread.

You will have to work on the car and I spent more time under it than in it (reason I sold it).

For me it was like owning a boat; very happy the day I put the deposit down and very happy the day I sold it.

This being said I ALWAYS wanted a *real Shelby Cobra and have now checked that box.

Good idea to join your local Cobra club and hit a couple of shows this summer>ask a lot of questions.

As indicated in many posts, it is a very different experience than a Shelby GT's.

Good luck as a lot of the fun is in the hunt.

*debated to death on several car sites.

Some sound advice here. In fact almost all of the things suggested should be done before you buy a cobra not after. It's part of the rresearch on the family of cars you're about to buy into. Once you're sure you want to join the family then searching for the adoptable orphan can begin. If you are sure you're ready then take the leap but not until you get the car checked out

By the way I had the same emotional roller coaster ride about buying and selling mine.

Archived