TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pantone Colors?

Carl Bishop

Well, I've given up waiting on SPP to develop and sell a shifter ball for the SGT.

I've found a company that is willing to make a custom shifter ball in blue with silver LaMans strips with the CSM# engraved in both sides of the knob.

Now my question, he's asking me for the "Patrone Color Codes" for the Vista Blue and Silver stripes.

Does anyone know what he's talking about or how to find the codes that match the paint codes body and stripes?

Any help will be appreciated.

Pantone Color System is a color standard system that was developed in the printing industry to standardize ink colors. It gives the recipe to create all the different colors.

The plastics industry, as well as others, also use it.

Your vendor is wanting the Pantone number that's the closest to Vista Blue.

Without their very expensive color samples, I'm not sure how to give them a number.

Maybe take of your fuel door and tell them to match it.

Here's a link to their plastics site.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/category.aspx?ca=5&from=hpsilo

and here

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx

Hope that helps.

Pantone Color System is a color standard system that was developed in the printing industry to standardize ink colors. It gives the recipe to create all the different colors.

The plastics industry, as well as others, also use it.

Your vendor is wanting the Pantone number that's the closest to Vista Blue.

Without their very expensive color samples, I'm not sure how to give them a number.

Maybe take of your fuel door and tell them to match it.

Here's a link to their plastics site.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/category.aspx?ca=5&from=hpsilo

and here

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx

Hope that helps.

It does, I'm going to give him a call and see if he has any suggestions on how I might be able to find someone locally that has one of these samples.

Will he make a Shelby GT-H version black with gold stripes and the CSM #

I don't see why not, so you have one of the SGT-H will a 5-Speed?

I'll let you know once I get over this first hurtle... This will not be cheap, it never is when your the first one.... :spend:

Any printer or sign shop should have a Pantone book. If you ask nicely, they will probably help you pick the right colors.

Do not use any 'color chips' you find on-line. Different monitors display the colors differently, and you may pick an incorrect match. Also make sure the Pantone book is a current version and not outdated. The inks in the colorbooks fade over time and some of the ID numbers get changed as well.

Z-man

Any printer or sign shop should have a Pantone book. If you ask nicely, they will probably help you pick the right colors.

Do not use any 'color chips' you find on-line. Different monitors display the colors differently, and you may pick an incorrect match. Also make sure the Pantone book is a current version and not outdated. The inks in the colorbooks fade over time and some of the ID numbers get changed as well.

Z-man

+1

Well done sir! Are you in the industry? It's not often I find someone that speaks my language, :)

+1

Well done sir! Are you in the industry? It's not often I find someone that speaks my language, :)

Not in the printing industry, but have experience with printing, color matching, and labeling as a customer. I used to work for a major consumer goods supplier to places like Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, etc. For them the packaging was almost as important as the product.

Just bad glad the O.P. didn't ask a question about PMS....you being in the industry will get that joke, but everyone else will think we are talking about something completely different.

Well, I've given up waiting on SPP to develop and sell a shifter ball for the SGT.

I've found a company that is willing to make a custom shifter ball in blue with silver LaMans strips with the CSM# engraved in both sides of the knob.

Now my question, he's asking me for the "Patrone Color Codes" for the Vista Blue and Silver stripes.

Does anyone know what he's talking about or how to find the codes that match the paint codes body and stripes?

Carl. I can loan you a Pantone color card, we have several. Obviously I can match the silver but not the blue, don't know anyone locally who has a vista blue mustang

Andrew

I just compared the sample book to my Vista Blue GT500. I also asked Mrs. Z, and Z-girl to pick the color that they thought was the closest as well. I say 'closest' because the Pantone colors are standards, not custom colors, and as such you can get close to the Vista Blue but you won't get a 100% perfect match. Another consideration is that the Vista Blue is a metallic paint, and the Pantone standards are solid (non-metallic) inks. Metallic colors all exhibit at least some degree of color shift depending on the angle of the light they are reflecting. Pearl paints do this purposely, and to a large degree.

Long story short, I picked Pantone 295C. Mrs. Z picked Pantone 2955C. These two colors are very close to each other. Of the two, 295C is slightly darker. Z-girl (my 11 year old daughter) said the best match would be half way between the colors that we picked. Either one of these colors should be fine for a gear shift knob, as it won't be directly against the paint on the car, and therefore any minor variations in color should be imperceptible to the eye.

Good Luck with the project!

Z-man

Z-man....

Thank you for your input, I went to a sign shop yesterday and the owner and his assistant settled on 282 C (blue) and Cool Gray 2 C for the stripes.

blue_zps92f5dc5e.jpg

grey_zpsbdd87a7a.jpg

So this is what I sent off to the company that I'm having make the knob, I guess I'll find out when I have it in hand.

Larry T, I would believe you'll be able to use the vendors stock black color and just need to provide the pantone color used for the stripes and the CSM#.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress and may even start a new thread.

Z-man....

Thank you for your input, I went to a sign shop yesterday and the owner and his assistant settled on 282 C (blue) and Cool Gray 2 C for the stripes.

blue_zps92f5dc5e.jpg

grey_zpsbdd87a7a.jpg

So this is what I sent off to the company that I'm having make the knob, I guess I'll find out when I have it in hand.

Larry T, I would believe you'll be able to use the vendors stock black color and just need to provide the pantone color used for the stripes and the CSM#.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress and may even start a new thread.

Looking forward to the results Carl as I'll be interested in one as well. Thanks for doing this.

Jeff

Vista blue is 2738C

Vista blue is 2738C

A note of caution when using Pantone System to match colors.

As a mechanical engineer, I've designed parts, for longer than I'd like to admit, whose finished colors were based on the Pantone system. This includes plastic injection molded parts, e-coated, powder coated metal parts, etc.

In my experience it may not always a given that the finished part will exactly match the Pantone Sample Chips.

In the past we've found that:

Sometimes, the parent material/surface of the part reflects light differently then Pantones color chip sample does, which I believe is on heavy stock paper. So the color is off a bit

Other times, the part will come back and is a bit off, again. When we'd call the supplier who made the part, they would say that they used the exact color recipe that Pantone specifies for a particular color.

Doesn't happen a lot, but just something to be cautious about.

Good Luck!!

A note of caution when using Pantone System to match colors.

As a mechanical engineer, I've designed parts, for longer than I'd like to admit, whose finished colors were based on the Pantone system. This includes plastic injection molded parts, e-coated, powder coated metal parts, etc.

In my experience it may not always a given that the finished part will exactly match the Pantone Sample Chips.

In the past we've found that:

Sometimes, the parent material/surface of the part reflects light differently then Pantones color chip sample does, which I believe is on heavy stock paper. So the color is off a bit

Other times, the part will come back and is a bit off, again. When we'd call the supplier who made the part, they would say that they used the exact color recipe that Pantone specifies for a particular color.

Doesn't happen a lot, but just something to be cautious about.

Good Luck!!

^What he said.

Been there, done that. Color matching is much more involved and complicated than most people would think.

Z-man

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally received the shifter knob, the colors are not a perfect match. The 'silver' is a very light gray color and the flash washed it out in the photo. But overall I like the way it looks and the feel of the larger knob. The CSM# is on both sides....

IMG_02111_zps160c652e.jpg

I finally received the shifter knob, the colors are not a perfect match. The 'silver' is a very light gray color and the flash washed it out in the photo. But overall I like the way it looks and the feel of the larger knob. The CSM# is on both sides....

IMG_02111_zps160c652e.jpg

Looks good Carl, what's the cost if we want to get one, and who do we order from?

Looks good Carl, what's the cost if we want to get one, and who do we order from?

Jeff,

Contact Darren via email at No.19 Products Twisted Shifterz: info@no19products.com

Mention my name and he'll quote you a price. Since mine was his prototype, he could possibly make the stripes a litte darker. He told me even using the Pantone colors I gave him was no gaurentee he could match the color exactly. I guess in hindsight I might have been better off using his stock grey pearl color with the blue Pantone color code.

Like I said, its good enough for me....

This company did my shifter ball in Grabber Orange. I'd say it's near perfect.

https://www.speeddawg.com/shift-knobs

I contacted speeddawg, they were not willing to make the knob the way I wanted without the shifter pattern and adding the CSM# if I recall. Plus, matching the non-metallic colors is much easier for the black, GO and white.

Could you post a picture of yours?

Archived