TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sharing Gopro Video - What Is The Best Way?

Okay, I take a lot of still photos, but I am a total newb when it comes to video.

What is the best way to get a copy of something, like a 20 minute GoPro video, to someone else? The file size is in the ballpark of 3 gig, so you can't just e-mail it. Is there a site it can be uploaded to, so that someone else can download it? Is there as way to download videos from YouTube?

Yea, these are probably very basic and bone-head questions, but I haven't worked with video files this large before.

Also, what software do you recommend for basic video editing?

Suggestions welcome.

Z-man

I've used photobucket (photobucket.com) to upload and share videos as well as photos. Not sure if you'd have to get a premium account due to the size or not, though. I believe many of the file sharing sites will accept videos it's just whether they put a limit on the size.

John

I've used photobucket (photobucket.com) to upload and share videos as well as photos. Not sure if you'd have to get a premium account due to the size or not, though. I believe many of the file sharing sites will accept videos it's just whether they put a limit on the size.

John

I have a Photobucket account, but it seems to run with a lot of "glitches". However, I just did update my browser so that may help. I'll give that a try, but am still interested in alternatives....thanks.

UPDATE: The file I was trying to upload is 1.91 gig and over 23 minutes long. My Photobucket account limits me to 500 meg or 10 minutes of video.

Photobucket is good.

Dropbox.com is another file sharing site - very good.

I also have a YouTube account - upload videos there, then share a link.

For editing, take your pick! I like Corel Video Studio Pro, but I've also used Microsoft Movie Maker and others - there's plenty of video editing software out there, just make sure you have enough computer horsepower to compile/render your vid and that the software can utilize/convert all the formats you want, (MOV, MPEG, etc.), as well as be user friendly to your style of computing!

Oh, and yes, you can grab video from YouTube - just Google that and you'll find lots of apps!

Sam

I import the raw video to iMovie (Mac), edit, insert stills, titles and music. iMovie is pretty user friendly.

When you are finished, you can render the video as HD or for mobile devices, so it shrinks it down to an appropriate size. Then you can upload to YouTube, Photobucket, DropBox, OneDrive, etc and share out without any issues.

I created this one last year. Multiple GoPro locations on/in the car and stills taken by my wife...http://youtu.be/ZzYKug4FV5c

I also have a YouTube account - upload videos there, then share a link.

Oh, and yes, you can grab video from YouTube - just Google that and you'll find lots of apps!

Sam

I have an 'app' where I can capture video from YouTube. I use Audials 9, but it captures it as it plays from my monitor, so I don't get a high-def copy, only the resolution that it displays on my screen. Can you recommend a way to capture it in full resolution?

There's a couple of online capture programs - Keep Tube, Keep Vid, Orbit Downloader, Save Vid, etc. - everybody has a favorite! I don't capture much video off the web anymore since it's easier just to link to a video. (I used FRAPS, but it has limitations. Keep Tube looks interesting because it supposedly can grab HD, but i haven't tried that one yet.) Best one, (you have to buy it), http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

One tip when saving your video or uploading is to EDIT, EDIT, EDIT!! You have to be ruthless! Nobody will sit through more than 30 seconds of crap to get to the action, so keep it tight! I'm guilty of not editing enough sometimes and it shows on the faces of the audience - they get bored rather quickly! Recently I had over an hours worth of video - I picked through it for good shots and angles and ended up with a 5 minute movie, and even then I could have cut more!

I'm no pro at this for sure - see here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyDevilBunny

Sam

Archived