TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Body Shop Recommendation For Fiberglass Hood In Houston

Hey guys,

I have a Shelby CS8/GT-H hood that I picked up a while back and the car fund is finally built up enough to get it installed. Question - anyone have actual experience with a shop in the Houston area that has successfully done a paint and prep on a fiberglass hood for your stang? After reading up on them I've seen that they take a lot more skill to do correctly than metal hoods and there's not much room for error. I want to make sure I bring it to someone that actually knows how to work these hoods. If only I were closer to Vegas, I'd just let the guys at Shelby do it :/

I'm open to shops within a few hours of here if someone knows of one, or even better, had a glass hood installed and can vouch for the work. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and the like aren't off the table if someone has knows a shop there that has done this type of job well before

you are correct to be cautious and very careful in your selection of an appropriate body shop. These fiberglass hoods are extremely difficult and require a lot of bodywork to get correct. Whatever you do, please find a shop that offers a full guarantee and warranty. Explain to them clearly your final expectations.

thanks for the words of advice. I did a good amount of research, including reading your entire GT-H blog (thanks for taking the time to write that up btw) and I quickly realized that glass hoods take a greater level of skill to prep and paint.

I was tempted to send it to your guy that did the repaint of your stripes, but I know they have to put it on the car first to fit it properly before painting it. TX to MN is a long drive unfortunately :/ I wonder if a local dealer would have enough skill to at least fit the hood and then I could mail it off to have it painted elsewhere by someone who I know can do it right...

On the NW side of Houston I have used Bob's Auto Express to do a deep draw hood for my SGT. He did a great job on the fiberglass work. I have also used Casai's before. They do great paint work. They did a hood scoop and painted stripes on my son's SGT. I haven't had fiberglass work done there, but I would not hesitate to have them do it. What car is this hood going on?

Thanks DeWayne, that's EXACTLY the feedback I needed. The hood is going on my SGT and I've been struggling to find a shop for months now. Bob's was recommended to me but not by anyone who actually had a glass hood done there. The deep draw hood is very similar to the CS8 hood so that gives me all the confidence I think I need to go with Bob's. I'll cal them today.

Archived