TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Not Earned

I think it ranks right up there with impersonating a police officer. It's one thing to lie or embellish over a few beers, but to wear a compete (kind of half ass with the Medals and jacked up ribbons he was wearing) uniform and pass yourself off as such should be a crime.

I like being at a sporting event or something where the National Anthem is played and look around at how some people react to the music. You can always tell the former GI's as they snap to attention and hold their left hand cupped at their side with their thumb touching the seam on their pants like they learned in basic. They passed a law a few years ago that allows veterans to render the hand salute during the playing of the Nation Anthem but I would feel funny not being in uniform and doing it so I just hold my right hand over my heart like the civilian I am now. I retired a few years ago but it's a brotherhood you share with all former and current members of the military wither you served two years back in the 1950's or thirty + years and retired. :salute:

I have an idea. Lets send guys that like to steal valor to the front lines over in the sand box. Bet they will drop the uniform and run real quick.

I have no problem with rendering a salute during the playing of the National Anthem at any event. I feel I earned the right to do so after 27 years of service.

Wow a sad state of affairs...

Wearing an enlisted uniform with stripes and the officer insignia on the collar.

One mixed up dude. You don't wear both at any time for any reason.. You are one or the other not both...

I mean is he an officer or an enlisted person ?

The hat is incorrect, The blue flash goes over the left eye not in the middle of the forehead.

His CIB (Combat Inf. Badge) is worn in the center of all ribbons even if its under the collar flap...

This is such a joke it makes me wonder why he wears ribbons and medals on his jacket. I got a few medals but you don't wear them on the uniform with ribbons unless its a medal presentation ceremony.

Guy is a jerk for sure.. I didn't know about rendering a hand salute, That's interesting, but since my service disability includes my arm and shoulder I won't be able to salute anyway..

Just proud to be able to stand up straight...

• 2 weeks later...

Congress passed a law, referred to as the Stolen Valor Law- after the title of the book, several years ago. Basically it made it illegal to apply for jobs and embellish your military record, or to display medals that were not earned, etc. The Supreme Court overturned the law basically stating it is not against the law to lie. Everyone should read the book to see how different people have alleged their heroics, their service, etc, including Hollywood, that claim to have served. One big name Hollywood actor claimed to have medals from Viet Nam when in reality he served the entire time in Germany. And there is much, much more. Including those that receive VA benefits for PTSD from Viet Nam, when they were not in Nam,..........or even in the service. Yet they receive VA benefits. No wonder the VA is in the sad state of affairs it is in.

I tried……I joined the Air Force back in the early 80’s. Made it thru Boot Camp. That’s where I found out that I have a bad case of “Curvature of the Spine”. I can’t do Sit Ups and I can’t bend and move like I should be able to. Was given an Honorable Discharge. This is probably the 7th time I have mentioned this in over 30 Years, I can’t believe its been that long. This guy should be made to do 4 Years of Active Duty.

I have an idea. Lets send guys that like to steal valor to the front lines over in the sand box. Bet they will drop the uniform and run real quick.

I have no problem with rendering a salute during the playing of the National Anthem at any event. I feel I earned the right to do so after 27 years of service.

I'd be all for that if it didn't mean that by proxy we were sending out fire teams with a less than effective unit in their midst who would endanger those there for the right reasons.

Congress passed a law, referred to as the Stolen Valor Law- after the title of the book, several years ago. Basically it made it illegal to apply for jobs and embellish your military record, or to display medals that were not earned, etc. The Supreme Court overturned the law basically stating it is not against the law to lie. Everyone should read the book to see how different people have alleged their heroics, their service, etc, including Hollywood, that claim to have served. One big name Hollywood actor claimed to have medals from Viet Nam when in reality he served the entire time in Germany. And there is much, much more. Including those that receive VA benefits for PTSD from Viet Nam, when they were not in Nam,..........or even in the service. Yet they receive VA benefits. No wonder the VA is in the sad state of affairs it is in.

I didn't realize this was overturned. I never served, but was 100% behind the stolen valor law as I understood it.

I agree bet he turtles pretty quick.

He's just another low-life-form that is trying to impress himself and other low-life-forms with a fake uniform that he does not have the slightest idea of what the uniform represents. .. not worth shooting!

SnakeEater

US Army Special Forces

Sergeant Major (Ret)

As a proud veteran of the United Sates Navy, I say stick him on an 8 hour top watch on a destroyer, in the North Atlantic in December. Absolutely terrifying place if you've never had the fortune to have visited....especially in 30 foot seas.

Archived