TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Releases Official 2015 Horsepower Numbers

ilmor

Well, according to this article, the 2015 is 8.52 lbs/HP. My 2013 is less...at 8.33 lbs / HP. I'm really surprised that Ford went in reverse like this.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2014/07/17/ford-releases-official-2015-mustang-horsepower-numbers-gt-to-get-435-hp-ecoboost-310-hp/

This caught my eye...

Mustang blends outstanding all-around performance and everyday usability. Drivers who prefer to let the car handle the shifting during their daily work run, but who still want to take control when the roads get twisty, will appreciate the new steering wheel-mounted shift paddles with rev-matching downshifts – now standard with the SelectShift® six-speed automatic transmission.

Auto blipping for downshifts. That's pretty trick.

This caught my eye...

Mustang blends outstanding all-around performance and everyday usability. Drivers who prefer to let the car handle the shifting during their daily work run, but who still want to take control when the roads get twisty, will appreciate the new steering wheel-mounted shift paddles with rev-matching downshifts – now standard with the SelectShift® six-speed automatic transmission.

Nissan Z cars have had this for 3-4 yrs. Trick - yes. But, IMO, another way to lower the skill level of driving a car - fast. Still - a neat gimmick.

This caught my eye...

The current automatic (also the SelectShift® six-speed automatic transmission) , in sport mode, blips on downshifts as well. Paddle shifters are nice, although sometimes awkward when the steering wheel is turned in hard corners.

I think it's more of a lateral move then a step back ... the IRS is a huge step forward, glad to see they are continuing the Cobra Jet program.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/10/10/cobra-jet-to-continue-on-as-part-of-next-generation-ford-mustang/

This is what I am most curious to see. A road test between a 2014 and a 2015, to see how much difference, if any, this IRS will make. With the 2015 being 100 lbs heavier than a 2014, I'm assuming the difference won't be a great as it could have been.

The 2013 and 2014 Explorer Sport with the 370HP twin turbo six and 6 speed auto comes with paddle shifters on a SUV! So it has been available in the Ford parts bin for some time. I use the paddles sometimes in my 2014 Ex. Sport for towing and when the auto is a little sluggish in getting into higher gear on mild acceleration.

Nissan Z cars have had this for 3-4 yrs. Trick - yes. But, IMO, another way to lower the skill level of driving a car - fast. Still - a neat gimmick.

I guess I was thinking that is pretty trick for a Mustang... I've driven plenty of paddle shift cars with auto blip. It really is a nice feature on track and helps with setting up for corners and apex/a little easier on the drivetrain. Not gimmicky if you know how to use it and use it for the purpose in which it is intended. Too your point, doubt the real world application for driving on the street would require this advanced setup.

Mark my words: There will come a day when the traditional stick shift is gone. Drive 'em while you got 'em!

The current automatic (also the SelectShift® six-speed automatic transmission) , in sport mode, blips on downshifts as well. Paddle shifters are nice, although sometimes awkward when the steering wheel is turned in hard corners.

Guess I've had my head in the sand.... I haven't paid any attention to automatic Mustangs (ever).

This is what I am most curious to see. A road test between a 2014 and a 2015, to see how much difference, if any, this IRS will make. With the 2015 being 100 lbs heavier than a 2014, I'm assuming the difference won't be a great as it could have been.

I'm betting it is still going to be a big difference and should help with the balance of the car. Possible the new Mustang is far less nose heavy moving forward? Not to mention when SVT unveils their rendition the IRS will shine.

Guess I've had my head in the sand.... I haven't paid any attention to automatic Mustangs (ever).

I never did either until getting my 2014. You know what? That auto is relaxing! :lol: (esp. during those work commutes). :shift:

I wonder how long it's gonna take someone to try to retro-fit the IRS into a S197...

(although you can already get an aftermarket kit for that)

Might be tough...completely new chassis..

Guest markham51

The 2005 Mustang was introduced with a 210hp V6 and a 300Hp V8. At 300 and 435HP the Mustang has increased HP by 43/45pct while getting better fuel economy on reg. gas. Not bad stats when you think about it.

• 1 month later...

I know there was no noticeable diff between my 04 Cobra with the IRS and my 07 GT500 without it.

Well, according to this article, the 2015 is 8.52 lbs/HP. My 2013 is less...at 8.33 lbs / HP. I'm really surprised that Ford went in reverse like this.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2014/07/17/ford-releases-official-2015-mustang-horsepower-numbers-gt-to-get-435-hp-ecoboost-310-hp/

Yeah very true especially when others are going to other way.

Archived