TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Factory Built Era 427 Cobra - Real 427 Side Oiler (For Sale)

ITHERTZ66

That is a great looking Cobra! And I noticed the IRS in the back which should help tremendously. I drove a 427 car a few years ago that had a live axle and it tried to kill me a few times. Big difference between my old Cobra with the supercharged small block (which also tried to kill me a few times, but I learned quickly from my mistakes). GLWS!

These Cobras will ALWAYS try and kill you. That's part of the fun! That being said, I'm very surprised with how this ERA is particularly set up. Very comfortable and easy to drive with restraint due to the gobs of low end torque and 4 speed.

Beautiful car! ERA builds a great Cobra and will be the one I get someday when I have saved up enough "spare change"!

In case you were not aware, there's a website specifically dedicated to selling Cobras. Might be worth listing the car for sale there to get it in front of more buyers.

http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html

Good luck!

-yellow pony

These Cobras will ALWAYS try and kill you. That's part of the fun! That being said, I'm very surprised with how this ERA is particularly set up. Very comfortable and easy to drive with restraint due to the gobs of low end torque and 4 speed.

Emphasizing these two magic words... WITH RESTRAINT! :lol:

Restraint is a magic word. My Shelby is very difficult to drive with restraint. It wants to GO and has tons of off idle torque/power with the Whipple. To be honest, it can be difficult to hold back on the street. I think a manual transmission may make this easier/more fun? This Cobra is nearly as much fun going 30 MPH as it is going 80. I don't know why, it just is. Makes it rather easy to restrain myself compared to when driving the Shelby (Oh crap, I'm doing 85!!).

Restraint is a magic word. My Shelby is very difficult to drive with restraint. It wants to GO and has tons of off idle torque/power with the Whipple. To be honest, it can be difficult to hold back on the street. I think a manual transmission may make this easier/more fun? This Cobra is nearly as much fun going 30 MPH as it is going 80. I don't know why, it just is. Makes it rather easy to restrain myself compared to when driving the Shelby (Oh crap, I'm doing 85!!).

Couldn't agree more. I had one of those episodes of not being able to drive the '09 with restraint this afternoon. Came real close to getting pulled by local law enforcement while driving in the twisties.... got lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

If you know what a factory built ERA 427 is and why it's a cut above pretty much all the fiberglass Cobra's out there you will know what a smoking deal this Cobra is. $90K+ to build. Offered at $54,900 and you get ultimate bragging rights with a real vintage 427 side oiler and toploader transmission!

http://customshowboards.com/era446/sale/cobra427.html

This is extremely tempting. Very tempting. I love this car.

I've wanted a genuine AC Cobra since I was a little kid but they are so far out of my price range I can't even afford to THINK about buying one. This one is within my price range. And it's a 427, which is what I've always preferred. And the color is perfect being a mirror image of my Blue/white GT500.

Have you had a recent or fairly recent appraisal done on the car?

Talking ME into purchasing something like this is easy. Talking my WIFE into something like this is another story. One way I've found in the past to help convince her is the ability to resell it (if absolutely need be) without taking a big loss. I *never* buy something with the intention of reselling it so any investment potential is out the window but in all honesty, how realistic is it to consider a sale without losing much, if any money (at $54.9K)?

I mean, if I were to buy it today at $54.9K and something came up causing me to sell it, how easy would it be to resell it without taking too much loss, if any loss? I honestly don't have any idea what the car is worth on the open market and (obviously) it is still for sale so there aren't people busting your door down trying to buy it from you.

Is the price negotiable or are you set in stone/firm?

Thanks,

Phillip Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

This is extremely tempting. Very tempting. I love this car.

I've wanted a genuine AC Cobra since I was a little kid but they are so far out of my price range I can't even afford to THINK about buying one. This one is within my price range. And it's a 427, which is what I've always preferred. And the color is perfect being a mirror image of my Blue/white GT500.

Have you had a recent or fairly recent appraisal done on the car?

Talking ME into purchasing something like this is easy. Talking my WIFE into something like this is another story. One way I've found in the past to help convince her is the ability to resell it (if absolutely need be) without taking a big loss. I *never* buy something with the intention of reselling it so any investment potential is out the window but in all honesty, how realistic is it to consider a sale without losing much, if any money (at $54.9K)?

I mean, if I were to buy it today at $54.9K and something came up causing me to sell it, how easy would it be to resell it without taking too much loss, if any loss? I honestly don't have any idea what the car is worth on the open market and (obviously) it is still for sale so there aren't people busting your door down trying to buy it from you.

Is the price negotiable or are you set in stone/firm?

Thanks,

Phillip Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

I say do it and ask for forgiveness later.... What's a couple nights in the dog house? :lol: Seriously though, ERA makes one of the better replicas and this is a very nice one judging by the looks. Resale with all replica Cobra's varies and you'll find that being patient will win the day as someone will eventually come along and just "have to have it". Cars with good fit and finish command more $$$ and hold their value better. The IRS in this car is also a big plus. Careful though..... if you buy it, I would recommend taking the car to a very, very wide open parking lot and purposely make some mistakes so you can see how a Cobra will bite you.... and it WILL bite you. They always do. Better to know how to deal with the Cobra from experience when it gets out of shape than learn the hard way and become the butt end of someone's joke on You Tube.

Hope you get it! Cobra's are ah-some!

See the other recent topic about the pluses and minuses of a Cobra.

Some advice:

Don't buy any Cobra until you sit in it. And I don't mean one like it but that one. They all have various configurations of seats and steering wheel. I tried on a SPF car and the steering wheel hit me on my lap. The Shelby CSX "fit".

All good advice here....I WILL be listing on Club Cobra very shortly. Curt is quite busy and it would take a couple weeks to get the ad up. He also told me to list it for quite a bit more than I'm asking, but I prefer to deal straight with people and list it for what I believe it would sell for, not where to start negotiations.

I am 6'3" and fit in this car fairly well. I would have more head room if I would remove the seat sliders, but I'm keeping them in there for the next owner. Larger drivers can also gain more space by installing a 14" steering wheel. The pedals are spaced further apart than most ERAs so that you can drive this car with almost any shoe/foot size as well. Lot's of room between the pedals, but no dead pedal for the longer journeys.

That's a great car for a great price, I imagine it will not last long, good luck!

It's looking more and more like it found a new home in Colorado. Hopefully in about 2 weeks.

Phill

That is good news Phill. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the Cobra. Remember to ALWAYS remind your passengers to keep their legs clear of the hot side pipes. Even though I remind people, some still get burned... go figure.

You owe us some PICS when you get it. And maybe a Go Pro video!

1). That is good news Phill. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the Cobra.

2). Remember to ALWAYS remind your passengers to keep their legs clear of the hot side pipes. Even though I remind people, some still get burned... go figure.

3). You owe us some PICS when you get it. And maybe a Go Pro video!

1). Well, it's not a 100% for sure done deal just yet but it's about a 99.5% done deal. The only reason I won't commit 100% yet is because I have yet to talk to my wife about it. She's in California with our son and grand babies so I haven't bothered her yet and will wait until she leaves Disneyland and heads back to our son's house in Salinas.

It shouldn't be a issue, we both have our own money but she's the 'wise one' (i.e. conservative one!) in the relationship and she could come up with some good reason why i really don't need it that I hadn't thought of since i'm too emotionally involved.

2). Ya know, that's something I hadn't even thought about until I saw mention of it in the other Cobra thread we're texting in. With my bad back I have to pull my feet WAY in towards the car when getting out of my GT500 and if there were sidepipes there, I'd be badly burned over and over again. My wife is a little tiny thing so I'll have to be SURE to help her in and out of the car. That's not a real big problem because I'm one of those guys that opens and shuts the door for her anyway. I'll just have to give her a hand to help her climb out now. The first time she burns herself real badly I'm a dead man and there may be a Cobra up for sale!

3). Yeah, the GoPro is a good idea. There is nowhere to mount it up front but that roll bar will come in real handy. I suppose my suction cup mount can go on the windshield easy enough though.

I've been thinking I should take it to the next Mojave Mile instead of my GT500 again but I'm not sure how a open cockpit car with a 1:1 4-spd wil work on a mile track. Any idea what the terminal/top speed is on something like that? How do they handle at top speed with no rear spoiler or front splitter? With the short wheelbase I'm thinking it would be a handful.

Thanks for your help and interest,

Phill

Archived