TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front End Alignment Issues

I had my car aligned about 6 months ago and just the other day I parked with the wheels turned all the way and noticed that the inside of both my front tires were worn to the cord. I have not hit any type of pot holes nor noticed any type of pulling or mishandling from the car. The car has the Ford Racing Lowering Springs but FR told me that the alignment specs should remain the same as factory specs. With these Michelin Super Sport costing around 350 a tire can one of you alignment gurus tell me if they did it right? Here are the specs that they gave me.

LEFT RIGHT

CAMBER -1.37* -0.89*

CROSS CAMBER -0.48*

CASTER 7.34* 7.25*

CROSS CASTER 0.09*

TOE 0.10* 0.10*

TOTAL TOE 0.20*

Did you get the car aligned after the lowering springs were installed? The specs may be the same, but the alignment can get messed up with the lowering process, so it needs to get done after install.

Based on how worn the front tires are, you might want a second opinion. They should not be wearing like that unless there is a problem.

FWIW, after you lower the car, the alignment will likely never get fully dialed in unless you get castor-camber plates and find someone who knows how to set them up. My alignment is not that bad for a DD, but it's never been perfect after lowering.

From the 2011 manual (not sure if the 2011 and 2012 are exactly the same):

Ford_Service_Manuals_-_SECTION_204-00__S

Thanks Barry, I did get it aligned after the car was lowered. I even waited three days for it to settle. Judging by the graph above I am thinking they did not align it right. I am not front end alignment expert but if the graph shows -1.0 to 0.75 and mine is -1.37 for Camber and 7.2 to .75 and mine is 7.34, is that off enough to cause the tires to wear out that bad in 6 months and 15k miles?

Thanks Barry, I did get it aligned after the car was lowered. I even waited three days for it to settle. Judging by the graph above I am thinking they did not align it right. I am not front end alignment expert but if the graph shows -1.0 to 0.75 and mine is -1.37 for Camber and 7.2 to .75 and mine is 7.34, is that off enough to cause the tires to wear out that bad in 6 months and 15k miles?

Not sure, to be honest, but it seems likely. 15K on a set of high performance tires is probably nearing the end of there life anyway, but they should be wearing evenly.

What i do know: A) you had the car lowered, which changes the geometry of the suspension B) tires are wearing very unevenly c) Looks like the alignment specs verses your alignment is out of spec. I would defiantly have it checked out by a reputable shop.

I have a similar issue on my 07 vert. First one then the other, thankfully never both at once. Dealer says, "Oh yeah, no problem, we can align that." Right, but it seems to move to the other tire then.........Like you I have plenty of tread left from the outside in to about the second groove......

:(

I had my car aligned about 6 months ago and just the other day I parked with the wheels turned all the way and noticed that the inside of both my front tires were worn to the cord. I have not hit any type of pot holes nor noticed any type of pulling or mishandling from the car. The car has the Ford Racing Lowering Springs but FR told me that the alignment specs should remain the same as factory specs. With these Michelin Super Sport costing around 350 a tire can one of you alignment gurus tell me if they did it right? Here are the specs that they gave me.

LEFT RIGHT

CAMBER -1.37* -0.89*

CROSS CAMBER -0.48*

CASTER 7.34* 7.25*

CROSS CASTER 0.09*

TOE 0.10* 0.10*

TOTAL TOE 0.20*

Are these the readings that they gave you 6 months ago or are these the most recent readings? What wheels/tire size are you running and what pressures are your tires set at?

Are these readings with your typical payload (drivers weight in seat while getting readings) ?

This was the readings after they aligned it 6 months ago. I do not know what they are now. I run the 265/40/19 Michelon SS tires at correct pressure filled with nitrogen. I have no clue as to if they sat in the car while they aligned it but I weigh in at a whopping 165 lbs so not sure if that would throw it off lol.

I'd suggest that you go back to them and ask for current readings and see if something has changed . Those prior readings do not indicate anything that show cause for the tire wear. Also get the secondary readings ( SAI and Included Angle) and let us know.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.lethalperformance.com/eibach-05-2013-mustang-pro-alignment-camber-bolts.html

Camber Bolts will solve your issue...the Eibach bolts do NOT require any drilling to be installed....I put a set on my 2008 Shelby GT that was lowered...Shelby never did a realignment after they lowered the cars...negative camber is GREAT if you are road racing...it holds the road GREAT, but for daily driving, it sucks because it will wear the inside edge of the tires extremely bad...The tech that installed my bolts at the dealership wanted to know what brand they were because he said they were the easiest to install of any he had done before...alignment was a breeze to set back to factory specs with a little less negative camber...no more wearing of the inside edge of the tires afterward either....happy, happy, happy!!!!

All camber really does is aid in the turn in to a corner....if you are not racing, set the tires up as straight as you can get them for maximum wear...if you drive more spirited driving and have some curves that you like to take at high speed, go with a little more negative camber...but expect more tire wear....

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the same problem with my 2011 vert. My front driver side tire, inside was worn to the cord. The damaged are was about 3/4 inch wide. The tire had plenty of tread over 90% of its surface. The tire had 16K on it and when the tire was installed the car had an alignment. The tires are Super Sports and air is kept at 35 PSI. My GT500 has the SVTPP option and is unmodified in any way. It would appear that my chamber was out but that was not the case.

The alignment was checked today and it was in spec.

Camber -1.1/-1.0

Caster 6.7/6.5

Toe -0.08/-0.06

SAI 15.1/15.4

Included angle 14.0/14.4

I went back to my tire dealer and he said there has been a lot of defective Michelin's coming in to their shop, and all were around one year old, and that Michelin was non responsive to their inquires. My Ford dealer and the tire shop both feel that the tire was defective. I think the verdict is still out.

David

I went back to my tire dealer and he said there has been a lot of defective Michelin's coming in to their shop, and all were around one year old, and that Michelin was non responsive to their inquires. My Ford dealer and the tire shop both feel that the tire was defective. I think the verdict is still out.

David

Wow. Defective MPSS tires. And all the hype about how great they are. Glad I stuck with my OEM Goodyears. Wearing Perfectly.

Archived